Fulton at Catholic

Road2Three

This game will be played at Knoxville Catholic.

Field at KC is in pretty bad shape I hear .. like mosts fields that 10th week got beat up pretty bad ... It looked to me that Carter didnt try to improve the field and may have ACCIDENTLY turned on the sprinklers sometime Friday morning ... Catholic may think about that too ... its supposed to rain Wed so it will be pretty muddy I would say .... it backfired on Carter .. Rogan just ran for 268 yeards .... there is a saying I heard from a coach ... mud just makes slow players slower .. something to think about huh ...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rocky Chair ... you are correct KC will have something new for Falcons .. Pemberton is a Great Coach ... Falcons may have some new stuff too .. who knows .. this is a good matchup because KC makes you play assignment football and teams like Fulton like to just go play and make plays all over the field ... Falcons make you respect the speed and playmaking abilities of their players .. where KC gets you is they want to run the football for 4 yards a carry and keep clock running .. their game usually go fast for example last week 3rd qtr had just started at the Fulton/ Carter game and KC/ AE was already into 4th Qtr ... KC also gets you with the quick count start .. then they wait till they get you in 3rd or 4th down and less than 5 yards in a crucial situation and get you to jump offsides on defense with delayed count ... they play this part of the game very well !!!

Hey I never once said Fulton don't have talent b/c they do. You better respect their big play capabilities or you will pay the consequences. But it's like you said....Catholic will no doubt try and control the tempo of this game. It's like a basketball game you don't want to get in a run and gun game with Fulton b/c they will out athlete you. Catholic will play close to the vest and strike when they get the opportunities. They will lull you to sleep with that mis -direction and then Smith WILL POP wide open for a TD much like he did in the last game.

Catholic plays a very disiplined game and they don't make many mistakes. If Fulton can come out early and establish a running game they might force Catholic into something there not used to. This should be a great game with athletic plays all over the field.

The kicking game is way in favor of Catholic and that could come back to haunt Fulton.

Edited by Rocking Chair

IM GOING WITH FULTON IN THIS ONE, AE GAVE CATHOLIC ALL THEY WANTED FRIDAY NIGHT AND DID`NT EVEN START PLAYING TILL THE LAST 5 MINTS. I DON`T THINK EITHER TEAM CAN STOP EACH OTHERS PLAY MAKERS " ROGAN & SMITH: BUT I THINK THE DIFFERENT MAKER WILL BE HAMILTON I THINK HE CAN SHUT THE DIVE PLAY DOWN PLUS GET A GOOD PUSH UP THE MIDDLE WHICH WILL THROW THE TIMMING OFF IN THE DOUBLE WING. FREENEY WILL HELP STOP SMITH IN THE PASSING GAME. B)

FULTON- 37

CATHOLIC -28

You didn't see the game? Until the last 5 minutes of the game AE had 3 first downs. How is that giving Catholic all they wanted? AE open up their offense (I have to admit, if they did that from the start it could have been AE-Fulton) and scored 3 touchdowns while giving up another.

Hey rockin chair, it ain't good to get those Fulton boys mad, trust me. Don't make enemies out of them like Carter did.

As for the stopping Rogan game plan, who knows? Nobody, including Catholic has done it all year. It might work but there's no way of knowing and I don't think Friday night will be any different; those big,big uglys lean on you and lean on you and lean on you and eventually Rogan breaks it - it's just gonna happen. And there are plenty of other athletes there.

I'll give you this much, without Rogan Fulton goes from being an excellent team to being a very good team. That's much the same for Catholic without Smith. Both of these guys are exceptional. All of the folks saying that they won't decide the game are wrong. They'll both make big plays, the question is simply who will make the most? I'll be there to see.

Maryville vs. Red Bank or Fulton vs. Cathoilc? What is fan to do? Let's see. Got it. Catholic vs. Fulton for the 3A "Ship" this week, and winner of Red Bank/Maryville vs Mo West for the 4A "Ship" next week. While I could do without the bagpipe lady, it looks like Catholic is the place to be this week. Saw the AE-Catholic game, and I stand corrected. I thought the Ryan kid at West threw a better ball than Troutman. Put Troutman in the right system ie. one of the MAC or Sunbelt programs, and you got yourself another Charlie Batch/Omar Jacobs type.

Back to Fulton/Catholic. Just like the first game, the press might make a big deal out of the whole Rogan/Smith thing. They are both great players, and deserve all the recognition they are getting but, once again don't overlook all the other serious talent and great match-ups in this game. Some are:

When Fulton has the ball....

Mathis, Freeney, Humphrey, Smith. These guys are one of the reasons Rogan busts a lot of long runs. They are tough, quick, and BLOCK well. Mathis has good hands, and made a terrific catch while being interfered with in game 1. I think Freeney had a couple of nice catches in the Alcoa game. Humphrey has speed. Very good return man. Vic Smith is a player. I need to watch the tape again, but I think he made a long catch in game 1 down the sideline. Defending will be Browder, Riley, Robbins, Smith, and Lindsey. Browder is a big Corner who plays the run well. Riley & Robbins paly the run well, but the pass better @ the other Corner/Safety sometimes. Lindsey, the QB also plays Safety, and just might be the best tackler back there. Sorry Mr. Smith.

Gildner, Cobb, Hammilton. These guys are another one of the reasons Rogan does well. Gildner and Cobb can be explosive blocking FBs. Both make good first contact, are very aggressive. I would look for them to get more carries in Round 2. Hammilton is a beast at FB blocking or carrying....tacklers when needed. Defending will be LBs Tressler/Tait/Hartman. Tressler is a very good tackler with surprising lateral speed. Tait is a strong run stuffer, tries to, and does blow up inside run game. Hartman is just excellent on the blitz. These players on both sides are about the same size, speed, (except Hammilton's size). Some of the best "non tackle" collisions I saw all year were in Game 1 in the middle.

Wiley-Gatewood (6-6 320), Reilly (6-5 275), Gamble (6-3 250), Brown (6-3 250), Kennedy (6-4 230), Higgins (6-1 280) and toss in Stokes or Mathis @ TE up front. Obviously big, but experienced as well. I think Gamble is the only Jr. I disagree with those that say this group has not played well. Rogan is great, but he would NOT be racking up the kinds of yards he has over the last couple of years without this group. Key battles will be Franklin DT/DE (6-5 260) against the OTs, Wood (6-0 230) NT against the C/Gs, Tait DT (6-3 285) against the OTs, and the ends Giles, and Mubarak against OT/TE/FB. I did not notice at the AE game, but on WMAK replay yesterday, I did see Catholic rotating in 3 or 4 DTs. in 2nd 1/2. Right out of the Catholic Cookie Cutter. Good size, speed, etc.

Blair at QB. Freeney @ QB. I heard Coatney last Thurs. on 99.1 saying that Freeney was getting some snaps. Whoever it is just needs to make sure the calls that come in get called in the huddle, get the snap, not try to do too much, and let Rogan, Cobb, Mathis, and Co. do their thing. Freeney was the toughest player on the field @ Alcoa, and he can make plays from any position.

Rogan @ RB. 2005, 2006 3A Mr. Football Finalist. All time Fulton Rushing Leader. UT Commit. Offers from Va Tech and Miami. His best asset? Vision. Guys that hit a crease like that have to see it first.

When Catholic has the ball........

Kelly, Kennedy WRs. Kelly is cat quick and a good blocker. Kennedy is big (6-3 190) and also a pretty good blocker. Have not really seen them catch the ball other than in pre-game, but both seem pretty sure handed. Tyson, Freeney, Rogan. Freeney makes a difference. He had one of the hardest hitting games I have seen out of a DB in a long tome out at @ Alcoa. Tyson seems to be a sure tackler, and Rogan, like everyone else will be looking for Smith out of the backfield backfiled.

Hartman (FB), Phleger and Browder (RB). Hartman blocks ok. He does run well, not extreamly fast, but not slow, and his best asset is balance. Phleger wears 32 and looks like a Smith clone. Fast too. Chased down Anderson from AE on a punt or kickoff last week. Have not really seen him run the ball. Browder is old school, find a hole, put the head down and go. On the other side, LB Winters is Mr. Old School. I enjoy watching that kid play. He is the leader of that D. Tries to make every tackle. Gets off blocks well. Tough. Gildner LB is a strong kid that palys the run very well. He attracts a lot of blockers, takes them on, and allows others to make takles. You need players like him. Stokes has good feet, hits hard, plays angles well.

Franklin (6-5 260), Tait (6-3 285), Washington (6-3 260), Station (6-2 250), Irwin @TE (6-4 225). Not as big as Fulton up front. But in that offense you want guys that are quick. They are big enough and quick. On the other side with Gamble, Gatewood, Higgins, Brown, Bates, and Mr. Hammilton you also have size and speed. Cobb and Mathis can really force things back inside, and you don't want to go in there. Mathis is very quick across the line of scrimmage. Cobb closes, and I mean right now. Natour, Center was on the sideline, arm in sling. Back-up played well. Got the ball back, held his ground, pretty quick. Franklin is a good player, very athletic, and deserving of his Mr. Football Finalist selection. However, how those that select could overlook Hammilton is just not right. I know he missed a couple of games, and does not play OL, but he is an outstanding DT/NT. I watched the replay of game 1, and when Hammilton (best DL in the area) and Tait (best Soph. in area) were head up, it made listening to Bassilio tollerable. Barely. Fulton has the advantage because they can put Hammilton anywhere on the D-line, and he will make plays.

Lindsey QB. I thought he managed the game against AE, and for that matter Game 1 against Fulton well. He carries out ball fakes well, runs better than I thought he could, and can throw it ok. He now has a few big games under his belt, but none as big as this week.

Smith RB. 2006 Mr. Football Finalist. UT commit, I hope. Offers from Auburn, ND, etc. His best asset? His athletic ability. As a Jr., I saw him more than hang with Brandon Warren on the B-Ball court in the playoffs last year when Alcoa took them out.

Kicking game. Rogan can kick it. The punter from Catholic is good. Catholic seemed to cover pretty well against AE. The kicker from Catholic hit a couple of Field Goals against AE 25-30 yrds. or so.

Both programs have very good coaching. Coatney has had his teams here before and passed with flying colors. Three championship games in the last 5 years or so. Pemberton has built a nice staff (JJ Searles in the KNS), and what looks to be a solid program, but no championships yet. I am pretty sure both staffs know what the other will try to do, and that it will come down to who makes and, executes adjustments during the game. General Patton said "no plan survives 1st resistance." There is a little Veterans Day trivia for ya.

Good luck to both programs.

Hey rockin chair, it ain't good to get those Fulton boys mad, trust me. Don't make enemies out of them like Carter did.

As for the stopping Rogan game plan, who knows? Nobody, including Catholic has done it all year. It might work but there's no way of knowing and I don't think Friday night will be any different; those big,big uglys lean on you and lean on you and lean on you and eventually Rogan breaks it - it's just gonna happen. And there are plenty of other athletes there.

I'll give you this much, without Rogan Fulton goes from being an excellent team to being a very good team. That's much the same for Catholic without Smith. Both of these guys are exceptional. All of the folks saying that they won't decide the game are wrong. They'll both make big plays, the question is simply who will make the most? I'll be there to see.

Hey REDNECKER I'm not trying to make anyone mad. And if you have to take what I say and pin it on the Fulton players wall to get them motivated then have at it. I'm sure Smith and the Irish are thinking about the game instead of listening to an old has been like me.

I was just saying that somebody besides Rogan better make some plays or Fulton will be going home very sad. And let me ask you a question? What if Smith and Rogan wasn't playing who do you think would win. That's pretty much a no brainer for me.

Hey REDNECKER I'm not trying to make anyone mad. And if you have to take what I say and pin it on the Fulton players wall to get them motivated then have at it. I'm sure Smith and the Irish are thinking about the game instead of listening to an old has been like me.

I was just saying that somebody besides Rogan better make some plays or Fulton will be going home very sad. And let me ask you a question? What if Smith and Rogan wasn't playing who do you think would win. That's pretty much a no brainer for me.

I have seen both teams play and if u take smith from catholic and rogan from fulton i would still pick fulton winning. I dont see how in the world catholic beat them in the first place. I mean there good but there not that good.

I have seen both teams play and if u take smith from catholic and rogan from fulton i would still pick fulton winning. I dont see how in the world catholic beat them in the first place. I mean there good but there not that good.

You mean to tell me you don't know how in the world Catholic beat Fulton. Do you know anything about football. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Field at KC is in pretty bad shape I hear .. like mosts fields that 10th week got beat up pretty bad ... It looked to me that Carter didnt try to improve the field and may have ACCIDENTLY turned on the sprinklers sometime Friday morning ... Catholic may think about that too ... its supposed to rain Wed so it will be pretty muddy I would say .... it backfired on Carter .. Rogan just ran for 268 yeards .... there is a saying I heard from a coach ... mud just makes slow players slower .. something to think about huh ...

Field is actually in very good shape for the time of year. Nothing like the slop Fulton played on last week! Don't think Catholic needs to soak the field to try and gain an advantage, Smith might slip on some of those fade routes the Falcons hate to see.

tick,tick,tick,tick... can't wait

Rocking Chair, Freeney, Matthis, Hamilton, Higgins, Gildner, Winters can fill Rogan's shoes... is that enough or do I need to name a few more?? I know Catholic has players to fill Smith's shoes i.e. Browder, Lindsey, Hartman. The winner of this game will be the one who adjusts, makes big plays, runs plays effecienty without error *and smart play calling by coaches*, and uses other players besides Smith/Rogan.