Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

My best guess is Louis Thompson. He's from Lebanon, TN, graduated from Lebanon High, then went to Alabama. According to CoachT, his head coaching record is 204-114-1. His current record at Lincoln Co. is 121-52. He has coached two state championship teams and has been named a region coach of the year and a TN coach of the year. More importantly what ties him to Johnson City is that he coached at Unicoi County. From a public relations point of view he has the pedigree to coach at SHHS without the baggage of coming directly from a school that is a SHHS rival and he has winning statistics galore.

THANK YOU!!!!

The man has accomplished so much at Lincoln Co. and could be looking to take this on as his "final challenge". He does have ties to the area and would be leaving the football program at LCHS in great shape (and in great hands if my possible candidate does decide to take that job if/when it does indeed open).

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Science Hill is bake sale away from Spurrier hire

By RON MORRIS

rmorris@thestate.com

SCIENCE HILL HIGH School is not giving up. The rumors continue to circulate this week in Johnson City, Tenn., that the school’s favorite son, Steve Spurrier, will be its next football coach. Keith Turner, Science Hill’s athletics director, can hardly contain himself with anticipation of Spurrier walking the Hilltoppers sideline.

“It would be a dream come true,” Turner said when reached by telephone late last week. “It would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for a high school to have someone of that caliber come back. The interest, participation, support is going to be magnified beyond what you would ever imagine.”

Turner confirmed the job had been offered to Spurrier.

“If he wants it, it’s his,” Turner said. “There wouldn’t be any interviewing with him. We know what he can do. All he’s got to do is just tell us.”

Spurrier could not be reached for comment. He said on Saturday when his contract with South Carolina was extended to six years and by $500,000 annually that he is happy in Columbia. He said is not interested in any other job, although he was coy in not addressing the one in his boyhood home of Johnson City.

Eric Hyman, USC’s athletics director, was stunned to learn of Science Hill’s continued interest in Spurrier.

“Miami and Alabama are one thing; Science Hill is quite another,” Hyman said. “I hope this does not mean we have to renegotiate Steve’s contract again.”

One source very, very close to the scene in Columbia and Johnson City said everything points to Spurrier leaving the college ranks, even without a day of coaching experience at the high school level.

That source is a close relative of Spurrier. OK, it’s his brother Graham, who lives about two blocks from Science Hill High. (Hey, sources do not get any closer than that). Graham Spurrier did not request anonymity in speaking to The State about his brother.

“They’ve been down the last several years, mediocre at best,” Graham Spurrier said of the Hilltoppers. “So they’ve needed a new shot in the arm. Maybe he’d be the perfect choice to give them a shot in the arm and bring their competitiveness back.”

Spurrier often has said that he selected USC because of its football history, or lack thereof. His mantra at USC has been about accomplishing “a lot of firsts.” That was reason enough for Spurrier to give Miami and Alabama, schools with storied traditions, the brush-off during the past couple of weeks.

Well, Science Hill can offer the same less-than-stellar football history as USC. As a player, Spurrier led the Hilltoppers to a state high school baseball championship, but Science Hill fell short in basketball and football when he was there in the early ’60s. In fact, Science Hill never has won a state football championship, and the program has fallen on hard times the past few seasons. John Bowles, the former coach, could not manage a .500 record in his eight seasons.

Worse, Bowles’ teams did not fare well against Dobyns-Bennett High School from nearby Kingsport. Just as Mike Shula probably lost his job because his Alabama team did not defeat rival Auburn in four seasons, so too did Bowles’ tenure conclude without a win against its closest rival. Science Hill’s losing streak against Dobyns-Bennett is 13 games.

“That would change in a hurry,” Turner, the school’s athletics director, said of having Spurrier as coach. “The ability is here, the athletes are here. Steve’s offensive schemes would be tremendous with the athletes we have.”

Science Hill and Johnson City have still more to offer Spurrier, who has long owned eight apartment units near the high school. Turner and Graham Spurrier confirmed that the Johnson City Country Club and The Ridges, an exclusive private golf course in Johnson City, would offer free year-round membership to the new coach.

Since Science Hill already plays its home games at Memorial Stadium’s Steve Spurrier Field, Turner has assured Spurrier that the school’s baseball field and basketball gymnasium also would bear his name.

Money might seem to be an issue, but Turner said the school’s booster club is taking up donations to help increase Spurrier’s salary. Turner has a couple of aces in the hole as well.

Science Hill High alumnus Matt Czuchry, more commonly known as Logan Huntzberger on TV’s “Gilmore Girls,” has indicated to Turner that he will make a sizeable contribution to the Spurrier cause. Then there is Science Hill High graduate Andrea Millen Rich, the wife of New York real estate millionaire Howie Rich. Turner is confident the Rich family will make Spurrier very happy when he accepts the Science Hill job.

“We’ve ironed out most of the details of the contract,” Turner said.

Turner said Spurrier fans should not read too much into the coach’s decision to continue recruiting for USC and to lead the Gamecocks in the Liberty Bowl late this month. Turner said he could wait for a decision about his new football coach well into the summer.

He added that it might not be a coincidence Spurrier has plans to play golf in Johnson City this summer.

This is not a fake story. I've spoken with one of the people quoted in the story and these are real quotes. Okay, maybe it's to get a few laughs in the Columbia area. But Steve Spurrier did mention Science Hill last Wednesday during a press conference.

The ol' ball coach said: "I'm tired of this Miami, Alabama, Tennessee. Let me tell you a good rumor. My old high school, Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tennessee, has its football position open. If things go real, real bad for me. I might have to go there..."

Wes, E-Star

This is not a fake story. I've spoken with one of the people quoted in the story and these are real quotes. Okay, maybe it's to get a few laughs in the Columbia area. But Steve Spurrier did mention Science Hill last Wednesday during a press conference.

The ol' ball coach said: "I'm tired of this Miami, Alabama, Tennessee. Let me tell you a good rumor. My old high school, Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tennessee, has its football position open. If things go real, real bad for me. I might have to go there..."

Wes, E-Star

lol Why do you have Dale and John, Phat Man?

"Well Dale the Bulldogs take over again Dale, and Dale what are they gonna do this time?"

Where is the WCYP gameday crew? lol