Franklin playing Brentwood Academy?

Red Rebel dude

i think that the recruiting is reality and people can't come to grips with that. all private schools do it. it's not wrong or immoral. they don't offer cars or girls or booze to their prospective athletes. they simply inform the students of their academic and athletic opportunities at the particular schools. it's not recruiting in the college sense. all that happens is parents of private school students/alums let up and coming athletes know that there is a school available to them that would give them great athletic potential as well as a phenomenal academic experience. these schools are very costly (i.e. the $17,500 annually it costs to attend ensworth), so these schools give students financial aid.

they do not pull kids off of the streets and offer their moms and dads jobs in an effort to pull these students in. i firmly believe that the choice is entirely the athletes, and he may do as he chooses. all the schools do--i cannot stress this enough--is let kids know of the opportunities available to them. they do not put pressure on an athlete to decide.

this is my definition of recruiting and it does occur. sometimes even at public schools (look at that new indy qb).

i hope that people involved with the situation can take a step back and at least admit that these things do happen. there is no shame in it. if my son was a football player (or even if he was just a solid student), i would send him to a private school because the academic/athletic opportunities at these schools are phenomenal.

i hope that some people take what i have said to heart.

Fair enough. I believe public and private must tell their story to prospects. They must provide a prospective student information about their school. This information may or may not included specific reasons on why the school is a good fit for them. I do not deny BA does this. I do deny that BA provides "undo influence". Many investigations and our judicial system support my denial.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats just not the story that the harrison's have told me everytime the subject has come up-i have been close with austin since i was in the 3rd grade-and ive known Corey and Ricky through Austin just as long-yes the fact that Austin went to CPA had to do with soured relationships with BA-more specifically Carlton Flatt-i could be wrong however ive known them for a long time and the story has never changed-and corery's career was not great because he got replaced-he was a phenomenal athlete-i believe when he was in his last year of middle school he jumped the pit in the long jump did he not?

I know that if Coach Harrison or his son were asked right now if David was "recruited" to BA, the answer would be no......Dennis Harrison knows the ins and outs of NCAA and high school athletics, he is a wealthy man who has no need to have his son given "undo influence" and I think it would be safe to say that he would be appalled you would even mention his son's name in something of this nature.

My younger brother was a two time state long jump champion and state decathlon champion at BA who recieved a scholarship to the University of Texas and was an NCAA ALL-American decathlete his senior year. He STILL holds the school record for long jump at BA (17 yr old record) to this day, which is around 23 ft. He did not jump the pit in the long jump, and I would say this Corey person didn't either because he never broke my brother's record. ........another untruth by sgunit30........ My brother was probably the biggest athlete to ever come out of BA for track....he definitely signed the biggest scholarship ever out of BA for track, and he nor I was "recruited".

Edited by Brandon100

like i said im not going to have a whole lot more to say about this subject-all the information i have posted that is not of my own experience-is information that has been given to me from former or current BA football players and other athletes-i never said that BA goes as far as offering jobs to paretns or handing out concrete benefits-what i am saying is that BA does as much as they possibly can to influence the desicion that a athlete makes-phone calls and conversation is common ground-and as far as my comment about Tyree earlier-that was un-called for and i apologize- yes i have met tyree-the point i am trying to make is that the reason he is going to BA for next to free has nothing to do with acedemics(that you can figure out just be having a talk with the 19 year old senior)-once again im not saying that BA is buying their athletes cars-im saying that they are recruiting-once again, im not appose to the fact that they do it-it is their right and in my opinion just increases competitiveness of D2 football-and for that matter the intensity of when D1 and D2 teams play-im just saying you would be in denial if u truely believe that they dont recruit-in fact just from talking with the athletes from BA and hearing their position on the subject-i was suprised to hear that there are people who still believe that the recruiting doesnt go on

Since financial aid is given as needs based and decided according to an independent organization in Princeton, NJ, you are being very rude to any athlete by saying they "go for next to nothing", because if you are right that they go for "next to nothing", that exposes to the forum what that family makes. I believe an apology from you is in order.

Edited by Brandon100

Your welcome to call me a dreamer to think I was or am talented enough for BA to recruit me (as donathan said enough of the area sports writers thought I was talented enough to make the 1st team all Williamson county team, that includes BA btw, and enough coaches though I was talented enough to make the 1st team all region) Your also welcome to call me an idiot ( I have a 28 on my act and am currently being recruited by Harvard). But despite all your name calling it does not change the fact that just because your son or daughter wasn’t athletically talented enough to be recruited by BA, it doesn’t mean that those who are don’t get recruited. Though you seem to have a brilliant argument, “LOL” ( I hope I quoted you right you know im not that smart) that doesn’t change a whole lot. There is a reason that most of the arguing about this is being done by parents who don’t have athletes playing at BA who aren’t paying for BA. It is a wonder that the parents of those kids don’t have much to say. Why is that? They know the truth. Not to sound like a broken record but there is a reason that Ford, the tremendous athlete that can barely spell his name, is going to BA for next to free. And there is a reason that Austin Harrison ended up at CPA when Corey had such a great BA career (after Corey was replaced by another talented back they took away his scholarship). This will be my last post on the subject due to the fact that its hard to argue against the BA education system at work ( “that’s not true” “you’re a joke” and lets not forget “LOL”). I don’t think its any wonder that our country is in such turmoil with a generation of adults so blinded by their own pride that they cannot see whats right in frount of them. Thanks for the stimulating convo.

I don't see one post here calling you a joke.......we say your post is a joke.......Also, I don't think a 28 on your ACT will get you into Harvard.............they don't consider that test......You need a minimum of 1200 on your SAT for starters.......there are folks that have scored over 1500 that have been passed over by Harvard.......oh yeah.....in case you don't know.....HARVARD DOES NOT GIVE OUT ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS....Since this is the truth, how are you being "recruited" by Harvard? A 28 on your ACT won't get you an academic scholarship to Harvard.......

Edited by Brandon100

thats just not the story that the harrison's have told me everytime the subject has come up-i have been close with austin since i was in the 3rd grade-and ive known Corey and Ricky through Austin just as long-yes the fact that Austin went to CPA had to do with soured relationships with BA-more specifically Carlton Flatt-i could be wrong however ive known them for a long time and the story has never changed-and corery's career was not great because he got replaced-he was a phenomenal athlete-i believe when he was in his last year of middle school he jumped the pit in the long jump did he not?

Corey was certainly a very good athlete, especially middle school. He matured early, though and a lot of people caught up with his ability by the time he was a senior. I don't know about his pit jump, but he was very good at track.

Corey was certainly a very good athlete, especially middle school. He matured early, though and a lot of people caught up with his ability by the time he was a senior. I don't know about his pit jump, but he was very good at track.

What sports did he play in HS, and how far did he go? Did he play any sport in college? How long ago did he play?

Edited by Brandon100

Fair enough. I believe public and private must tell their story to prospects. They must provide a prospective student information about their school. This information may or may not included specific reasons on why the school is a good fit for them. I do not deny BA does this. I do deny that BA provides "undo influence". Many investigations and our judicial system support my denial.

I am a new member, but have been reading CoachT for a while. I have found the recruiting topics very interesting. We all know how things have been in the Tennessee high school football world for a while now. As I read each new thread, that involves BA, I find that BA supporters have to constantly defend their schools practices of getting new student/atheletes. What we all need to understand is that there was a private/public split 10 years ago and because of it the publics need to leave it at that.

Now, with that being said, what does everyone consider "undo influence"? I have yet to figure that one out. Would it be a kid receiving a camp booklet, would it be a kid talking on the phone to a coach, would it be a kid being promised a starting position, etc. Let me know, because I am lost on that one.

Not to sound like a broken record but there is a reason that Ford, the tremendous athlete that can barely spell his name, is going to BA for next to free.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and your interpretation of the

whatever contact you may have had with BA parents and Coaches. However,

your comment above about a very good kid tells me all I need to know

about your character (or lack thereof).