Franklin playing Brentwood Academy?

Red Rebel dude

B100,

If you want threads like this kept in the correct forum, may I suggest that when someone simply mentions "recruitng class" don't be so quick to fire back with the "we don't recriut...prove it" post. That is what turned this thread into a public v. private debate. I'll say it again that I don't care if they do or not. Obviously there are some that do since the split happened because of it. People feel differently about it and that's OK. Nobody is questioning the integrity of these schools.

Tnsparty, that's what you don't seem to get. When recuruiting is mentioned, the integrity of these schools is being questioned. Recruiting equates to cheating . . . The posts are made sometimes in jest and sometimes as sour grapes, but always to provoke. If someone comes on any board and "simply" accuses your school of cheating, are you not going to "fire back"? What turned this thread into a "public vs private" debate was the accusation, not the response . . .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tnsparty, that's what you don't seem to get. When recuruiting is mentioned, the integrity of these schools is being questioned. Recruiting equates to cheating . . . The posts are made sometimes in jest and sometimes as sour grapes, but always to provoke. If someone comes on any board and "simply" accuses your school of cheating, are you not going to "fire back"? What turned this thread into a "public vs private" debate was the accusation, not the response . . .

You seem to equate recruiting with cheating not me. Yes, if someone used the words cheating I would "fire back". Cheating was not said though. Recruit/offer financial aid all you want. It is not sour grapes with me. I've always thought that BA and other D2 private schools were fine schools. I wish that there was one classification and let them all compete together, but that's not the case. If we get beat by a D2 school I would never use the "R" word as an excuse. In fact I won't mention it again outside of the proper forum.

I have always thought the Willco teams should play BA later in the year rather than in week o or 1. I know it would be tough with consideration to the region games but it seems BA is ahead on the curve early. May be from overall better athletes(eventhough they have NEVER recruited) than the public schools. I have always wished the Bwood 2002 team that lost to them in week 0 had played them week 10!

Early, late, whatever can be fit in is fine. You're right, would be challenging later in the year due to region games. Of course, if everyone was back together again...

Regarding that 2002 game, BA started 6 sophomores, so I think they might have improved over the year as well. The BHS team was excellent, but the BA team was extraordinarily talented. 13 BA players who played in that game are now on Division I NCAA rosters. No shame in losing to the Eagles that year, in any week.

Edited by itzme

You seem to equate recruiting with cheating not me. Yes, if someone used the words cheating I would "fire back". Cheating was not said though. Recruit/offer financial aid all you want. It is not sour grapes with me. I've always thought that BA and other D2 private schools were fine schools. I wish that there was one classification and let them all compete together, but that's not the case. If we get beat by a D2 school I would never use the "R" word as an excuse. In fact I won't mention it again outside of the proper forum.

Won't use the R word on here, but I do have a few questions for any BA parents out there:

1. What do you consider financial aid for underprivelidged students living outside the city limits of Brentwood?

2. How do you as a BA parent, pay your full tuition and hope that "little Johnny" has a chance to make the football or god forbid basketball team...only to see him sit the bench while more athletic kids that paid little or no tuition run up and down the field?

Have any BA parents ever looked at the test scores and annual college scholarships offered to students from Brentwood and Ravenwood? Does BA offer German, Italian and Chinese as foreign language options? What about advance placement courses? I hope all BA graduates are going somewhere other than state schools, otherwise I don't see the value.

And yes lets keep playing each other!!

Brentwood Academy has always seemed to dominate any Williamson Co. team they have played. From Ravenwood to Centennial to Brentwood. This is the first time I can remember them playing 2 WilCo teams in a season (Besides the Indy game 2 years ago). Two very good teams; could BA have some trouble next year? Edited by CHS 2007

Won't use the R word on here, but I do have a few questions for any BA parents out there:

1. What do you consider financial aid for underprivelidged students living outside the city limits of Brentwood?

2. How do you as a BA parent, pay your full tuition and hope that "little Johnny" has a chance to make the football or god forbid basketball team...only to see him sit the bench while more athletic kids that paid little or no tuition run up and down the field?

Have any BA parents ever looked at the test scores and annual college scholarships offered to students from Brentwood and Ravenwood? Does BA offer German, Italian and Chinese as foreign language options? What about advance placement courses? I hope all BA graduates are going somewhere other than state schools, otherwise I don't see the value.

And yes lets keep playing each other!!

You obviously know absolutely nothing about the BA curriculum or the

nationally recognized fine arts program. BA has a full complement of

AP and honors courses (sorry Chinese is not currently offered but I'll

be sure to speak to the head master). BA currently has former students

at most of the Ivy League schools as well as the Service Academies.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about the BA curriculum or the

nationally recognized fine arts program. BA has a full complement of

AP and honors courses (sorry Chinese is not currently offered but I'll

be sure to speak to the head master). BA currently has former students

at most of the Ivy League schools as well as the Service Academies.

The new multi million dollar Fine Arts building is really nice. It is a reason that I am giving serious thought for applying my 6th grade daughter at the next testing. She LOVES drama and music! Although she is a good basketball player (she won the hustle award for her age group at the Lady Vols camp this year....one of two awards given in the camp), and plays on her school team, I would not send her anywhere soley for sports. She would have to be driven in other areas, and sports would rank pretty far down the list...... She has expressed a serious interest this year in going to BA, and loves the Fine Arts program. We have taken her and my 8 year old daughter to plays at BA that would rival anything you could find on a college campus or local theatre. We went to every home FB game (season tickets) and the girls and boys basketball games this year as a family. You see, this allows me to expose my children to opportunity and see if they have interest in the programs. Advanced Placement courses were there 25-28 years ago when I went to BA, but unfortunately, I didn't make the grades it took to qualify. My C's and occasional D's at BA turned into A's and B's in college and grad school. My 9th grade work was harder than my college work. My parents felt it was money well spent, and it was a sacrifice every semester for five years from them I greatly appreciate. My parents each had under one year of college, dad was self employed.....were in the 99% that DIDN'T qualify for financial aid and we were definitely middle class.....most of the kids on aid back then didn't start on the FB team although it was rumored we were all on aid...the few who were worked for their education at the school during the summer, so really no one got a free ride, and everyone paid something...I remember lots of beans, greens and macaroni & cheese growing up as our family budget was tight. ...A chicken was a treat, and it fed a family of five. No boneless chicken breasts for the whole crew like I feed my family today, because we are now spoiled. Going out to eat at Western Sizzlin or Bonanza was a privledge. Maybe 3-5 times a year, and Mickey D's maybe 5 times a year..........I've worn my share of Kmart TRAXX and Dragon or LeTigre Polo's while growing up.......My family was the typical BA family back then...........a few wealthy families, but mainly hard working folks doing the best they could for their kids.......

One other thing, Rookie45.......there is no "cut" on BA's football team, so the parents don't have to worry if their kid makes it......if they have the desire to go out, they are on the team. I am not aware of any kid in the history of the school that has ever been cut. As far as playing, just as any other school.....if they are the best at their respective position, they will play.....the 2nd and some 3rd teamers rotate in the lineups throughout the game. Even to stand on the sidelines, the players build memories they will never forget, and they have stories to tell their grandchildren someday, as the kids take the sport very serious. As far as not getting to play b/c of more athletic kids, football is a TEAM sport, and you can go a long way as long as it doesn't matter who gets the credit. The starters need team players to push them and make them better in practice. Unselfishness is being a part of the team. Everyone has a role, and needs to know their place in the bigger picture. That is what builds consistently great teams.......

Yes.....we take the "R" word very serious and to heart because we know what it took in sacrifice for our parents, as well as 90% of today's BA parents to send their kids. We have also seen the sacrifice and toll it took on BA and other private schools throughout the battle won against the TSSAA. The school is just recovering from 10 years of unjust damage to it's reputation, and the fight BA put up to clear it's name. It ain't easy or everyone would be sending their kids to private school.

The school motto since inception is Vivat Veritas (Latin, which is offered at BA)..."Let Truth Prevail"....in the "R" scheme of things, it is cheating......something you would get kicked out for at BA as a student. BA would not kick a kid out for cheating and then be double standard themselves. The truth prevailed in the end that BA was innocent of wrongdoing........hence, the ironic motto.

Although I said I wouldn't write, this has weighed heavy on my heart since yesterday's posts......

Any word on potential games for BA this upcoming year?

Edited by Brandon100

The new Fine Arts building is really nice. It is a reason that I am giving serious thought for applying my daughter at the next testing. She LOVES drama and music! She has expressed a serious interest this year in going to BA. We went to every home FB game (season tickets) this year as a family. This allows me to expose my children to opportunity and see if they have interest in the programs. Advanced Placement courses were there 20-25 years ago when I went to BA, but unfortunately, I didn't make the grades it took to qualify. My C's and occasional D's at BA turned into A's and B's in college. My 9th grade work was harder than my college work. My parents felt it was money well spent, and it was a sacrifice from them I greatly appreciate. My parents were in the 99% that didn't qualify for financial aid and we were definitely middle class.....most of the kids on aid back then didn't start on the FB team although it was rumored we were all on aid...the few who were worked for their education at the school during the summer, so really no one got a free ride, and everyone paid something...I rember lots of beans, greens and macaroni & cheese growing up as our family budget was tight. Going out was a privledge. Maybe 3-5 times a year, and Mickey D's maybe 5 times a year..........My family was the typical BA family back then...........a few wealthy families, but maily hard working folks doing the best for their kids.......

Any word on potential games for BA this upcoming year?

Brandon, let me echo your sentiment.

My hardest Western Civ class in college was 10 times easier than the ninth-grade Ancient History class taught by a certain notorious BA history teacher (I think you know who she is). In comparison to the education I got at BA, college has been a breeze. For a school with 180-or-so students in the junior and senior classes combined, BA offers a disproportionate number of AP classes -- at least 10 that I can count off the top of my head, and I think they've added some since I graduated four years ago. More than one-fourth of the students in each grade take at least one AP class. Show me a public school that can boast a comparable ratio.

I had scores of friends on the football team and none were on financial aid. Now 13 of them play Division I sports, and they got there not because of financial perks, but because they worked their butts off and overcame what was, in many cases, inferior talent. The ones who were naturally gifted never caught a break from coaches or teachers; if anything, more was demanded of them.

My parents made many sacrifices so I could attend BA. I had a lot of friends who went to area high schools who had nicer cars than me and went on more exotic vacations. I made sacrifices to go there, too -- while my friends in honors classes at Brentwood High School were reading John Grisham for their summer reading, we read Shakespeare and Dickens. I'm not belittling BHS, but emphasizing the degree of excellence -- academic, athletic, and spiritual -- that BA requires and instills in each of its students. Our musicals were consistently some of the best in the city. Our speech and debate team ranked among the top ten in the nation. We consistently placed students in Ivy League schools and service academies, and a graduate from four consecutive classes received UT's highest academic scholarship. All this, and our girls weren't so bad, either. ;)

Rookie45, feel free to throw around wanton allegations -- we've heard it all, and one more kook's baseless rants won't hurt our feelings. But beware when you start belittling an entire school, especially when that school is one of the most excellent in the state.

Your screen name is appropriate considering your naivete.

Edited by WesVols