Excuses

pballer44

Eagle,

Nope, we dont share our field with 4 other teams. We share it with 7(elementary football, middle school football, elementary soccer, middle school boys soccer, middle school girls soccer, girls soccer, boys soccer. And we practice on the soccer practice field in the swamp. As for your facilities...I think your situation is pretty a-typical...perhaps your county treasurer or your mayor or whoever should be fired. And state funds are available...maybe your Super should be fired for not getting them.

But this is sounding like a walking uphill barefoot in the snow both ways story...my point is that if your school is that strapped for cash then you could say that any other small public outfunds you too...why are you singling out the privates? I can tell you that the publics we play ALL had better facilities than us until we built our new bleachers and field house this year (first improvements on our field EVER, and we had to raise the money from donors because the school doesn't have it). Now we have a nice field house and bleachers and press box, but our field is still not as good as most of those our opponents have. Our weight room is what used to be 2 temporary classrooms built onto the back of the gym. So it isn't the money or the facilities that give DI privates advantages...try some other things.

Actually we have nicer fascilities and equipment than every team in our region but one , and yep you guessed it the one nicer than us is the private school thats had a program for a whopping three years now!! It is definately not that we have that nice of fascilities that puts us above the other teams in our region its just that we are all small poorer communities in our region.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually we have nicer fascilities and equipment than every team in our region but one , and yep you guessed it the one nicer than us is the private school thats had a program for a whopping three years now!! It is definately not that we have that nice of fascilities that puts us above the other teams in our region its just that we are all small poorer communities in our region.

Do you find that those other public schools "complain" about how nice your facilities are compared to theirs?

Boyd ,one of the more sucessful private schools. They evidently work hard and you can see the results. They may not have a ton of money ,but I can tell you thats not the case with several of the private schools. I've saw some of the better private schools facilities and they put ours to shame.I'd also be willing to bet ,Boyds weightroom is far superior to the ones in the small public school in this area. It really don't make any difference where our, or their money comes from. Its what it is. Its the real world. Don't really matter about the weight room stuff ,we have plenty for any kid that desires to get bigger,stronger and faster. Private schools needs nice things and good reports in all areas to exist. They have to compete with other privates and public schools for students. Anything that they do well is a magnet for potential students.Its a business and some are thriving. Private schools are nothing more than a magnet for whatever the private school excels in. Just so happens,football is one area where several of them excels.

Well said PUJO.

By the way if a private school fails to meet their expenses they are closed (ex. Castle Heights). For years Castle Heights operated as a private school in Lebanon and competed athletically against all comers in Tennessee. In the mid 80's their revenue failed to meet expenses for several years. Private donors stopped giving and as a result the school closed, the land was auctioned off, and their students moved on to other schools (some public - the "non" recruited ones, and some private the "recruited ones". ;) )

When is the last time anyone on here saw a public school go outta business. It just doesn't happen. Most private schools I am familiar with operate on private gifts, fund-raisers, tuition, etc just to keep the doors open. Government grants are out of the question. Their teachers take less pay in order to have smaller class sizes, ability to express their faith freely, and tuition discounts for their children just to name a few fo the perks. Private school athletic budgets are basically dependent on how successful their gates were the previous year(s). Alot of the privates schools have close to 100% participation by their students families in fundraising activities designed to improve private school facilities. These facilities are planned out and saved for years before they are actually constructed. For the most part they don't just appear (unless your MBA).

Instead of some of these public school communities complaining about privates , their athletic budgets, and their success I would suggest visiting some of the successful programs in your classification (1A-TC, 2A-Alcoa/Smith Co, 3A-Fulton, 4A-Maryville) and see how their booster clubs, alumni associations, and local merchants help support their programs athletically.

The private school I support has been around now for approximately 30 years and is finally playing in their 1st football championship Friday. When first opened they played all games away for 2 years and most as homecoming games for the other team. Their district opponents laughed at em, made fun of their uniforms, and then spanked em at every opportunity. The original football field was designed and built by volunteers in the following years. The first gym seated around 300-400 and had a rubber floor with bubbles in it. They didn't have a winning season for 10 years. The baseball field was more like a cow pasture than a field and there was no softball field or soccer field for the first 20 years of existence. The original weight room opened in the early 80's and might have had 400 lbs of weights total. It was in a room that was 20x30 approximately.

Thirty years later they still play on the same football field. The uniforms are a lil nicer, the team is nobody's homecoming game, and those same teams that used to laugh are now crying to anyone who will listen how unfair it is having to play that big bad private school even though they have beaten the private every time they have played but 3 -5 times in 30 years. The new gym seats 1200+ and the teams are a lot more successfull. By the way the gym was all built with private donations and fundraisers, the baseball soccer, and softball fields were donated and built by volunteers and are some of the finest in TN.

It took this little school with under 200 students 30 years but with great leadership, fans, alumni, and the community supporting them they were able to overcome aalot of odds and finally get a campus that we're a lil proud of.

Bottom line don't cry about what others have. Get out and get yours! It is do-able ;)

Well said PUJO.

By the way if a private school fails to meet their expenses they are closed (ex. Castle Heights). For years Castle Heights operated as a private school in Lebanon and competed athletically against all comers in Tennessee. In the mid 80's their revenue failed to meet expenses for several years. Private donors stopped giving and as a result the school closed, the land was auctioned off, and their students moved on to other schools (some public - the "non" recruited ones, and some private the "recruited ones". :thumb: )

When is the last time anyone on here saw a public school go outta business. It just doesn't happen. Most private schools I am familiar with operate on private gifts, fund-raisers, tuition, etc just to keep the doors open. Government grants are out of the question. Their teachers take less pay in order to have smaller class sizes, ability to express their faith freely, and tuition discounts for their children just to name a few fo the perks. Private school athletic budgets are basically dependent on how successful their gates were the previous year(s). Alot of the privates schools have close to 100% participation by their students families in fundraising activities designed to improve private school facilities. These facilities are planned out and saved for years before they are actually constructed. For the most part they don't just appear (unless your MBA).

Instead of some of these public school communities complaining about privates , their athletic budgets, and their success I would suggest visiting some of the successful programs in your classification (1A-TC, 2A-Alcoa/Smith Co, 3A-Fulton, 4A-Maryville) and see how their booster clubs, alumni associations, and local merchants help support their programs athletically.

The private school I support has been around now for approximately 30 years and is finally playing in their 1st football championship Friday. When first opened they played all games away for 2 years and most as homecoming games for the other team. Their district opponents laughed at em, made fun of their uniforms, and then spanked em at every opportunity. The original football field was designed and built by volunteers in the following years. The first gym seated around 300-400 and had a rubber floor with bubbles in it. They didn't have a winning season for 10 years. The baseball field was more like a cow pasture than a field and there was no softball field or soccer field for the first 20 years of existence. The original weight room opened in the early 80's and might have had 400 lbs of weights total. It was in a room that was 20x30 approximately.

Thirty years later they still play on the same football field. The uniforms are a lil nicer, the team is nobody's homecoming game, and those same teams that used to laugh are now crying to anyone who will listen how unfair it is having to play that big bad private school even though they have beaten the private every time they have played but 3 -5 times in 30 years. The new gym seats 1200+ and the teams are a lot more successfull. By the way the gym was all built with private donations and fundraisers, the baseball soccer, and softball fields were donated and built by volunteers and are some of the finest in TN.

It took this little school with under 200 students 30 years but with great leadership, fans, alumni, and the community supporting them they were able to overcome aalot of odds and finally get a campus that we're a lil proud of.

Bottom line don't cry about what others have. Get out and get yours! It is do-able :thumb:

I was really impressed with the facilities,weightroom at your school.Its took alot of dedication from alot of people to achieve,hats off,you should be proud. On the other hand , I'd say most schools has the equipment to build big strong kids. They just have to have the kids use the stuff. My kid is doing a workout Igot off the internet, it don;t even require weights,He is also the only kid his age in this area thats doing any sort of workout. Well his little brother just turned 3 and he is already doing pushups and doing them well. It really comes down to parents and what they expect out of their kids. I expect alot both in school and on the ball field. Its working. Tons of people are uneducated about kids and exercise, I've researched it over and over. In my opinion the only difference in the two types of schools is the parents as a whole. Iguess I'm sort of a private school parent in a public school system. I'm not a perfect parent by any means and I'm not tooting my horn ,but I love my kids more than life itsself and Iwant them to have the best life has to offer.I applaud private schools and what they are teaching the kids,I wish all kids were brought up this way.

Quote 1AFAN, "Instead of some of these public school communities complaining about privates , their athletic budgets, and their success I would suggest visiting some of the successful programs in your classification (1A-TC, 2A-Alcoa/Smith Co, 3A-Fulton, 4A-Maryville) and see how their booster clubs, alumni associations, and local merchants help support their programs athletically."

O.K. I don't know alot about T.C. or Smith County , But Alcoa and Maryville are in Blount county quite possibly the wealthiest County in the state outside of Nashville area not to mention traditon rich programs. The small pyblic school I am involved with works their tails off to try to have something the kids will want to be a part of and be proud of , but in a poor county thats not very willing to give ANY of the small amount of money the have to sports EVERYTHING we have comes from Coaches and parents.

GREAT post!! I know your story and have been impressed with the strides you've made! It can be done by a lot of determination, sweat, and $$. You are an inspiration.

I know the hardships faced by the small privates, having worked and coached at them in TN and Calif. It’s not an easy road; at times the "wolf" is just outside the door looking to blow down our straw/stick efforts. Hopefully, what we've built is of brick and will be long-lasting.

I also know the hardships of the small publics, having worked and coached at small and large in TN. I completely understand the sentiments for separation. At the heart of this issue (public v private) is the SERIOUS lack of funding that exists in our public system!!! It’s atrocious what the publics are made to put up with! They receive a paltry amount of money because the tax base in most counties is so small and overburdened. The curse of a tax program that is limited!

How can our communities continue to under fund our schools? They barely have enough to pay the teachers and administration, let alone any kind of extracurricular programs such as sports, band, etc. Why do our kids, parents, teachers, and coaches have to spend so much time begging for money??? When they should be using that time to better themselves and the community through these extracurricular activities!

I believe the core of our problem is our state and county governments' lack of a realistic plan to provide the needed and essential educational and extracurricular programs. As a result we find the public schools; especially in smaller communities are at a GREAT disadvantage! :lol:

Although, the small publics (or publics in small communities) have similar problems as the small privates, there is a dynamic involved that sets the two apart. I believe the privates are able to achieve more success because of the deep dedication (and at times deep pockets) of their supporters/families.

Yeah, it's a little simplistic, but people will devote much more effort to a situation that they believe is unique or more beneficial to them and their family (as is found in private schools - especially the religious ones). Also, these privates generally work with the child from pre-K through graduation; offering a great window of opportunity to build a support system AND athletic teams. The publics in small communities share some of these benefits but not enough of them. So they are on unequal footing.

I've been on the lossing end of many seasons of being the underdog - both in small public and small private. It hurts me to see the kids endure it season after season. However, we do learn some important lessons and we push ourselves harder and harder.

I, personally would love for us to stay together! I have enjoyed my times on both sides of the "fence" and it just wouldn't seem right if we seperated. Maybe the merit system is the answer.

Here's to hoping we can somehow figure this out! :D

Well said PUJO.

By the way if a private school fails to meet their expenses they are closed (ex. Castle Heights). For years Castle Heights operated as a private school in Lebanon and competed athletically against all comers in Tennessee. In the mid 80's their revenue failed to meet expenses for several years. Private donors stopped giving and as a result the school closed, the land was auctioned off, and their students moved on to other schools (some public - the "non" recruited ones, and some private the "recruited ones". :D )

Bottom line don't cry about what others have. Get out and get yours! It is do-able :D

GREAT post!! I know your story and have been impressed with the strides you've made! It can be done by a lot of determination, sweat, and $$. You are an inspiration.

I know the hardships faced by the small privates, having worked and coached at them in TN and Calif. It’s not an easy road; at times the "wolf" is just outside the door looking to blow down our straw/stick efforts. Hopefully, what we've built is of brick and will be long-lasting.

I also know the hardships of the small publics, having worked and coached at small and large in TN. I completely understand the sentiments for separation. At the heart of this issue (public v private) is the SERIOUS lack of funding that exists in our public system!!! It’s atrocious what the publics are made to put up with! They receive a paltry amount of money because the tax base in most counties is so small and overburdened. The curse of a tax program that is limited!

How can our communities continue to under fund our schools? They barely have enough to pay the teachers and administration, let alone any kind of extracurricular programs such as sports, band, etc. Why do our kids, parents, teachers, and coaches have to spend so much time begging for money??? When they should be using that time to better themselves and the community through these extracurricular activities!

I believe the core of our problem is our state and county governments' lack of a realistic plan to provide the needed and essential educational and extracurricular programs. As a result we find the public schools; especially in smaller communities are at a GREAT disadvantage! :D

Although, the small publics (or publics in small communities) have similar problems as the small privates, there is a dynamic involved that sets the two apart. I believe the privates are able to achieve more success because of the deep dedication (and at times deep pockets) of their supporters/families.

Yeah, it's a little simplistic, but people will devote much more effort to a situation that they believe is unique or more beneficial to them and their family (as is found in private schools - especially the religious ones). Also, these privates generally work with the child from pre-K through graduation; offering a great window of opportunity to build a support system AND athletic teams. The publics in small communities share some of these benefits but not enough of them. So they are on unequal footing.

I've been on the lossing end of many seasons of being the underdog - both in small public and small private. It hurts me to see the kids endure it season after season. However, we do learn some important lessons and we push ourselves harder and harder.

I, personally would love for us to stay together! I have enjoyed my times on both sides of the "fence" and it just wouldn't seem right if we seperated. Maybe the merit system is the answer.

Here's to hoping we can somehow figure this out! :D

Now that was an outstanding post, about the best I,ve seen, I just don't think people would be happy with the merit system, the 1a schools that got moved up would be right back where they were before the multiplier.

I never whine about tax money...it is the public guys who whine that we small privates have so much money...i think you have said pretty much that same thing several times. So let me enlighten you about that tax money you have never "seen".

- when you drive up the drive to your school and into the parking lot...that was tax money.

- When you walk through the door and look down the hall...all that is tax money.

- When you go into a classroom...you guessed it, more tax money.

- That technology center and that shop with the machinery...taxes

- Teacher and coaching and administrative and maintenance salaries...tax money

- When your kids dress in a locker room the room and the uniform..._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks)

- When you sit in the bleachers and hear the announcer in the pressbox...same

- When you look out at your field...mowed, painted, with decorative fencing/walling/a track and a quarter million dollars worth of lighting...tax money built it.

Privates pay to have all that stuff themselves...and for the upkeep. Clue in. Every time someone comes on here shouting about all the money the small privates have I give them real figures...but they...and you...just ignore them.

----------> THE REAL DEAL <------------

Most small privates run on a deficit budget...they don't bring in enough money with tuition to operate, so they rely on gifts to keep the doors open. We have about 980 kids k-12. Average tuition about 5800 (assuming everyone pays on time which never happens). So 5.7 million or so coming in from tuition. We have around a hundred staff. So half or more of our income goes immediately to pay for salaries. Then there is the electric bill, cleaning bill, grounds, phone, payments on buildings, technology, maintenance, books, continuing ed, insurance, repairs, supplies, etc. Public schools pay for NONE, zero, nada of that stuff. So where is all the money we are supposed to have? Answer, doesn't exist. Our Football budget was 100 dollars a kid last year...betcha the 2a publics we played were working with a bit more...

p.s. A public school in Hamilton county that is our size would be getting approximately 12 million a year to operate on...NOT including additional budget items like new buildings/athletic facilities and often not including coaching stipends as some coaches coach at different schools than they teach at. For those who are not good math folks that is more than double what we work with...now who has the money?

Well, I agree with you on alot of what you have said, but here at all the schools in Marion County, tax money did not pay for all of our facilities, the tracks, fieldhouses, all the mowers, equipment and so on was either paid by fundraisers, gate proceeds, or donations. But, I do see your point. I think that is the situation at a lot of rural schools, as well as small privates. Although it would be nice to have someone mow, paint, top dress, fertalize the field. Or pay for all our equipment. But at Red Bank football also had to pay for a big part of the track, paid for the mower, weight room, and coaches did not get paid to do anything past football season or before July 15, they just do because they want to be competative. The main thing is as coaches we are asked to do a lot for very little. None of us really understand what the other schools situation is, alot of speculation, and yes I am guilty of that myself. If this is a coaching problem, I.e, coaching being the difference, and I am not saying it isn't, I know for just football I put in over 1500 hrs not counting a full teaching load. I am not sure if I could work much more and still function. If these private coaches can teach me something that they are doing that we are not, I am willing to listen.

More can be gotten out of the student at the private school, and combine that with participation rates being higher on the average, those things go together. Yes, there are exceptions-mainly Alcoa, but a 450 student school that could do fine in 5A clearly isn't your average 1A or 2A level public. The private schools that aren't too strong are mostly ones with new programs or ones with very small enrollment.

More can be gotten out of the student at the private school, and combine that with participation rates being higher on the average, those things go together. Yes, there are exceptions-mainly Alcoa, but a 450 student school that could do fine in 5A clearly isn't your average 1A or 2A level public. The private schools that aren't too strong are mostly ones with new programs or ones with very small enrollment.

Mainly Alcoa? How about Maryville, Tyner, Trousdale County, South Pittsburgh, Huntingdon and Milan, Loudon, Knox Fulton, Riverdale, Hillsboro, and the list goes on and on. All of those schools have much better records or as good records as any private. Remember that you aren't talking about 1 or 2 publics here, you are talking about several in each class...but you are talking about only a few of the DI privates. The rest of them are not anywhere near as good as the elite 8 or 9 that seem to have had multiple title appearances lately. And the difference between the best private school in 2a (GP) for the last 2 years and the best public is not a small one. Last year Tyner was the only school that caused Alcoa to strain any at all to win...another public. This year it was Smith County (who could have been included in the list above), also a public.

Or, to put it another way, how many titles have DI privates won in the last 2 years? How about the publics?

Mainly Alcoa? How about Maryville, Tyner, Trousdale County, South Pittsburgh, Huntingdon and Milan, Loudon, Knox Fulton, Riverdale, Hillsboro, and the list goes on and on. All of those schools have much better records or as good records as any private. Remember that you aren't talking about 1 or 2 publics here, you are talking about several in each class...but you are talking about only a few of the DI privates. The rest of them are not anywhere near as good as the elite 8 or 9 that seem to have had multiple title appearances lately. And the difference between the best private school in 2a (GP) for the last 2 years and the best public is not a small one. Last year Tyner was the only school that caused Alcoa to strain any at all to win...another public. This year it was Smith County (who could have been included in the list above), also a public.

Or, to put it another way, how many titles have DI privates won in the last 2 years? How about the publics?

And why do so many IGNORE the dominance of the above mentioned teams? Especially Alcoa, Maryville, Fulton. It seems a few are trying to use somewhat skewed perceptions to say the problems reside with the privates. Why aren't you investigating the SUPERIOR dominance of these PUBLICS? How is it they succeed? It's soooo easy to say "Yeah, the privates are different than us and win too much so they need to be brought down!" Look at recent results: there are public teams that have dominance year-in-and-year-out, even over the privates. So, is it because they BEAT the privates that no one is swaking about them? What is your excuse??? :thumb:

Edited by soccerdad

I never whine about tax money...it is the public guys who whine that we small privates have so much money...i think you have said pretty much that same thing several times. So let me enlighten you about that tax money you have never "seen".

- when you drive up the drive to your school and into the parking lot...that was tax money.

- When you walk through the door and look down the hall...all that is tax money.

- When you go into a classroom...you guessed it, more tax money.

- That technology center and that shop with the machinery...taxes

- Teacher and coaching and administrative and maintenance salaries...tax money

- When your kids dress in a locker room the room and the uniform..._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks)

- When you sit in the bleachers and hear the announcer in the pressbox...same

- When you look out at your field...mowed, painted, with decorative fencing/walling/a track and a quarter million dollars worth of lighting...tax money built it.

Privates pay to have all that stuff themselves...and for the upkeep. Clue in. Every time someone comes on here shouting about all the money the small privates have I give them real figures...but they...and you...just ignore them.

----------> THE REAL DEAL <------------

Most small privates run on a deficit budget...they don't bring in enough money with tuition to operate, so they rely on gifts to keep the doors open. We have about 980 kids k-12. Average tuition about 5800 (assuming everyone pays on time which never happens). So 5.7 million or so coming in from tuition. We have around a hundred staff. So half or more of our income goes immediately to pay for salaries. Then there is the electric bill, cleaning bill, grounds, phone, payments on buildings, technology, maintenance, books, continuing ed, insurance, repairs, supplies, etc. Public schools pay for NONE, zero, nada of that stuff. So where is all the money we are supposed to have? Answer, doesn't exist. Our Football budget was 100 dollars a kid last year...betcha the 2a publics we played were working with a bit more...

p.s. A public school in Hamilton county that is our size would be getting approximately 12 million a year to operate on...NOT including additional budget items like new buildings/athletic facilities and often not including coaching stipends as some coaches coach at different schools than they teach at. For those who are not good math folks that is more than double what we work with...now who has the money?

What a silly post. How in the world could you think something like that. Privates obviously have the advantage. Can't you see that 1 out of 5 gold balls in DI went to private schools??? Don't you know that 1 out of 5 is dominant??? How are all the public schools that get no tax money going to compete with all the private schools with the government funding??? Not to mention the multiplier that almost DOUBLES the enrollment of the public schools??? Public schools just obviously can't compete with the government funded private schools, then when you throw that multiplier in there to double public school enrollment.....wait......I think I've got it BACKWARDS :thumb:

Seriously, I think we should cut government funding for public school athletic programs for 5 minutes. Just 5 good minutes. Make them raise their own dang money working their butt off doing car washes every Saturday morning, having bake sales out the wazoo, selling magazines and candy bars to people they don't even know, and soliciting donations from every business in a 15 mile radius. Just 5 minutes. Then to make it better, we could nearly DOUBLE their enrollment, ship them to Texas, and make them play the schools there twice their size. And then, to top it all off, we could require higher grades out of their students to participate on a ball team. Instead of just having to pass, they'd have to make at least D's, and sometimes even (get ready for this....) C's :o . Just 5 minutes. The whining would be so loud NO ONE would be able to hear ANYTHING else to save their life! And something else: DI privates have ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE over publics in recruiting! Tell me the advantage; someone, please! If there is anything that is unfair here, it's the stupid rule that makes privates play schools twiced their size. Talk about unfair.......

By the way, great post Baldcoach!

Edited by defender25