Hillsboro and Maryville

LipscombBall3r

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I looked at some numbers, which I like to do from time to time. And here's what I came up with:

# of opponents at or above .500:

MHS - 9

HHS - 10

# of undefeated opponents:

MHS - 2

HHS - 0

# of winless opponents:

MHS - 0

HHS - 2

Opponents' combined records:

MHS: 87 - 68 (strength factor of 1.28)

HHS: 75 - 81 (strength factor of .93)

Scoring:

MHS averages 39 per game.

HHS averages 36 per game.

On the road, Maryville's scoring improves to an average of 43 per game and Hillsboro improves to an average of 42 per game.

Against opponents with records of .500 or better, the MHS scoring average is 39 per game and Hillsboro's is 33 per game.

Points allowed:

MHS allows on average 12.5 per game.

Hillsboro allows on average 10.29 per game.

On the road, Maryville's defense improves to an average of 8.17 allowed per game and Hillsboro improves to an average of 8.86 allowed per game.

Against opponents with records of .500 or better, the MHS allowance is 13.78 and the Hillsboro allowance is 11.8.

I came up with a formula to predict a score using some of the information above:

(Average score - The difference in average score and opponents' points allowed) X strength factor

I ran that scenario for both MHS and HHS using

1. overall averages

2. averages on the road

3. averages against opponents with records of .500 or better.

The average of those scenarios yields the following final score:

MHS: 13.20

HHS: 10.63

Will that be right? Probably not. But I hope it's better than the BCS.

Edited by papa chaos

So I looked at some numbers, which I like to do from time to time. And here's what I came up with:

MHS - 9

HHS - 10

MHS - 3

HHS - 0

# of winless opponents:

MHS - 0

HHS - 2

Scoring:

On the road, Maryville's scoring improves to an average of 43 per game and Hillsboro improves to an average of 42 per game.

Against opponents with records of .500 or better, the MHS scoring average is 39 per game and Hillsboro's is 33 per game.

Points allowed:

On the road, Maryville's defense improves to an average of 8.17 allowed per game and Hillsboro improves to an average of 8.86 allowed per game.

Against opponents with records of .500 or better, the MHS allowance is 13.78 and the Hillsboro allowance is 11.8.

I came up with a formula to predict a score using some of the information above:

(Average score - The difference in average score and opponents' points allowed) X strength factor

I ran that scenario for both MHS and HHS using

1. overall averages

2. averages on the road

3. averages against opponents with records of .500 or better.

The average of those scenarios yields the following final score:

MHS: 13.20

HHS: 10.63

Will that be right? Probably not. But I hope it's better than the BCS.

That is a really neat formula you got there and interesting to say the least. I know people keep bringing of schedules and all that stuff but I think it is irrelevant for the most part b/c teams from the east mainly just play each other and teams from middle or west do the same. So really you dont know which side as a whole is better; so really it doesnt matter at all. This really should be a great game this weekend so lets just leave it at that.

MHS - 9

HHS - 10

MHS - 3

HHS - 0

# of winless opponents:

MHS - 0

HHS - 2

Scoring:

Points allowed:

hey papa, where do you find this info? not sure what the criteria was for undefeated/winless opponents, im assuming it was decided after the season. therefore maryville only played 2(RB and MW). cuz i know we played maplewood in week 8 and we were both 7-0.

after looking at both teams schedules i dont think you can even say hillsboro played a weaker schedule. it looks like maryville overall just plays weak teams. 6 of their 14 wins have come against teams that finished under .500 as opposed to hillsboro's 4. now we had the luxury of playing 2 WINLESS teams so that in itself counts for 20 of our opponents losses. in addition, maryville got to play 2 undefeated teams deep in the playoffs accounting for 25 wins right there. hillsboro on the other hand played teams like clarksville and henry co. who knocked off the other teams like melrose and springfield who had 1 loss combined. i always jus accepted the fact that maybe we did play a weaker schedule but never really looked into it. HILLSBORO HAS BEATEN MORE QUALITY TEAMS. jus use the schedule/scores on this website and you can look at each team hillsboro/maryville played. NUMBERS CAN BE DECEIVING.

hey papa, where do you find this info? not sure what the criteria was for undefeated/winless opponents, im assuming it was decided after the season. therefore maryville only played 2(RB and MW). cuz i know we played maplewood in week 8 and we were both 7-0.

after looking at both teams schedules i dont think you can even say hillsboro played a weaker schedule. it looks like maryville overall just plays weak teams. 6 of their 14 wins have come against teams that finished under .500 as opposed to hillsboro's 4. now we had the luxury of playing 2 WINLESS teams so that in itself counts for 20 of our opponents losses. in addition, maryville got to play 2 undefeated teams deep in the playoffs accounting for 25 wins right there. hillsboro on the other hand played teams like clarksville and henry co. who knocked off the other teams like melrose and springfield who had 1 loss combined. i always jus accepted the fact that maybe we did play a weaker schedule but never really looked into it. HILLSBORO HAS BEATEN MORE QUALITY TEAMS. jus use the schedule/scores on this website and you can look at each team hillsboro/maryville played. NUMBERS CAN BE DECEIVING.

i honestly didnt understand a word of that...

The schedules may not matter, although after the game we may realize in some way they were pertinent. I do think the fact that Maryville is making it's third straight trip to Murfreesboro, and like six out of the past seven, and the fact that Hillsobro has not been there in three years could factor in some.

Numbers can be deceiving. You're exactly right about that. In fact they usually are. I could probably go back to the same numbers and put a spin on them to say that either Maryville or Hillsboro would absolutely destroy the other. I tried to be completely honest in just showing unbiased numbers above.

The criteria was a team's overall record at the end of the season.

Again, you are correct in stating that Maryville played teams with better records in the playoffs, but you could take that several ways:

1. it just adds up to more wins and skews the data (I perceive that you took it that way) with the converse being true for Hillsboro beating some winless teams or

2. MHS had to beat better teams to get to the Boro or

3. the East is just not as tough as Mid TN and the West and so it's easier to go undefeated out here.

Take it however you like. I just showed the numbers. We'll see how they work out as far as a prediction for the game goes. Honestly, I hope that they are dead wrong and that Maryville wins by 50 and plays Freshmen the whole 4th quarter...but that's probably even less likely than my predicted score above.

I only take contention with your statement that Hillsboro beat more quality teams as I doubt that you know much more about most teams here in the East than I do about the teams in the West. Unless you do, it would be tough to venture which wins were more "quality" than others, and that is why I just stuck to the numbers.

ps - Thank you for the correction. MHS did only play two unbeaten opponents. Typographical error on my part. Post edited to reflect such.