Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

Like Brandon Wright? There are some very good private school basketball teams out there, but when you're talking about a team of 5, where one player can have so much of an impact, the playing field is sort of self leveling from a talent standpoint.

I think that would be the other way around. One impact player on a teams of 5 basketball players is much more dominating than one impact player on a team of at least 22 football players. The football field is much more "leveling" to one star player than the basketball court is.

If the public/private split arguments were valid, then the privates would absolutely rule basketball.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with that. If it`s so easy to go out and get "anyone they want" then they would be very dominant. Of course you have to take into account that there are only 3 classes in basketball.

Hey VolunteerGeneral, you sound very much like a family member I have who lives in Jackson. If ya don't mind my asking, are you from Sardis, TN?

Good to see ya on the side of truth and justice OK. But it won't work. Because to prejudiced people there is not argument that will convince them that they are prejudiced...they just see themselves as "right".

I posted that every school had advantages and disadvantages over other schools and that for any given small public I could name 10 advantages they had over any small private and vice versa. Indian took me up on it and I named about 15 I think for his school...no one else wanted that action because their world view hinges on the fact that the privates have all the advantages. So when you talk about other publics having advantages it goes into their ears like Charlie Brown's teacher...waaah waaah wah waaah waaah. It simply makes no sense to most of them.

Its interesting to note that when you ask the private-haters to apply the same rules against publics that they want applied to the privates - they shut-up. Where'd they go when the answers started getting tough?

I think that would be the other way around. One impact player on a teams of 5 basketball players is much more dominating than one impact player on a team of at least 22 football players. The football field is much more "leveling" to one star player than the basketball court is.

If the public/private split arguments were valid, then the privates would absolutely rule basketball.

I think we're on the same page, just taking it from a different angle. The one dominating player in any program in basketball can make a difference, hence the playing field is level from a dominance standpoint. One dominant player doesn't make that much of a difference on the football field. The playing field is level from a mediocrity standpoint.

My point is that rural closed zone publics are more likely to go to state in basketball than in football and they're more likely to compete with open zoned publics and private schools on a regular basis in basketball or baseball than in football.

I think we're on the same page, just taking it from a different angle. The one dominating player in any program in basketball can make a difference, hence the playing field is level from a dominance standpoint. One dominant player doesn't make that much of a difference on the football field. The playing field is level from a mediocrity standpoint.

My point is that rural closed zone publics are more likely to go to state in basketball than in football and they're more likely to compete with open zoned publics and private schools on a regular basis in basketball or baseball than in football.

I agree, I think. My point was that if privates ARE recruiting, then it only takes one dominate player recruited to impact a team. Therefore, if the privates are recruiting, they should be taking the dominant players away from the publics, and therefore completely dominating the baskeball playoffs and state championships.

But if one dominant player stays in the public program, they'll be competitive. The privates and open zoned schools are not going to get every single kid that can play. They do get their share. A kid that can play and stays in his zoned school has more of an impact in basketball than in football.

I do think that if a Division II school with the resources set it's mind to it, they could produce a dominant program in every sport they fielded. It will be interesting to see what Ensworth has in a couple of years. They look pretty good to me in the 3 major boys sports already and they're young.

Someone may have already stated this but one thing that the publics do not seem to realize is that the privates probably could care less about whether they are in DI or DII. They just do not want to have to travel all over the state to get games. I am not familiar with all the details of being in one division over the other but it seems that being able to offer scholarships or "recruit" players would be very desireable. Publics seem to want to get rid of privates so they can win more often but the privates would be just as happy in DII if it wasn't so lonely over there.

This is strictly my opinion and nothing else. I cant prove a thing except from what I hear from friends and family who are some way or another affiliated with many different privates across the state. Private schools are like politicians. We all know to be a politician you have to be a little dirty wether you are republican or democrat. Some politicians are worse than others. Private schools to be competitive, has to recruit. Some schools just do it a little more than others. They can deny it, but we all know it. A politician can say he has the people at heart when voting in law, but we all know he is voting to fatten his wallet. The one thing I have come to understand in typing about this subject is we can all debate tell we cant breath, but nothing will ever change. Politicans will be crooked and privates will recruit. So split or dont split I dont care.

Someone may have already stated this but one thing that the publics do not seem to realize is that the privates probably could care less about whether they are in DI or DII. They just do not want to have to travel all over the state to get games. I am not familiar with all the details of being in one division over the other but it seems that being able to offer scholarships or "recruit" players would be very desireable. Publics seem to want to get rid of privates so they can win more often but the privates would be just as happy in DII if it wasn't so lonely over there.

It wouldn't be all that lonely if they were all there.

This is strictly my opinion and nothing else. I cant prove a thing except from what I hear from friends and family who are some way or another affiliated with many different privates across the state. Private schools are like politicians. We all know to be a politician you have to be a little dirty wether you are republican or democrat. Some politicians are worse than others. Private schools to be competitive, has to recruit. Some schools just do it a little more than others. They can deny it, but we all know it. A politician can say he has the people at heart when voting in law, but we all know he is voting to fatten his wallet. The one thing I have come to understand in typing about this subject is we can all debate tell we cant breath, but nothing will ever change. Politicans will be crooked and privates will recruit. So split or dont split I dont care.

The private schools that I know in Dvision I don't recruit. There might be some that do. I also know that some public schools don't recruit. I do know some that do. In the long run, parents are going to send their children where they think best suits their child's need regardless of public or private. I know in your area there are parents that send their child to CA becaue they think it is the best fit for their child. I am sure that there have been parents to move to Summertown because of the basketball or baseball program. All in all it is a parents choice of where he sends his child. The main premise in real estate is location, location, location. People will move to the best schools or will send their child to a private school.

Has Shelbyville, produced so many outstanding girl basketball players. Of course not, people have moved there(recuited if you wish) because that was what they thought was the best fit for their child. There will never be a level playing field no matter how you divide the schools in the T$$AA up.

Personally, I would like to all the teams in one divison and each class have a championship. The best teams would win. If I were still playing I would want to play against the best. How can you ever know how good you really are.

I not taking anything away from the two teams that competed, but I have talked to a numerous coaches that have been coaching a long time and they have all said that this year was the weakest 1A championship that they have ever seen.

What does it prove when we water down the competion?