Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

A school such as MBA can get a lot more done in practice with

15-18 quality coaches in a shorter period of time than a public

school can accomplish in the same time frame with 5-6 assistants.

15-18 coaches????? where do you come up with this stuff? When I was there, there were exactly 5 coaches--1 head coach, 2 assistant head coaches/coordinators, and 2 assistants under them. There were some alums who showed up and volunteered for 2-a-days, and that was it. Do NFL teams even have 18 coaches? According to our website there are 9 coaches listed now.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two years ago I looked at an MBA program, and I thought

I counted 15-18 coaches. There were at least 12. I am

confident of that number. This probably included freshmen,

JV, and Varsity. They were listed in the high school program

or media guide.

Heck, I think Riverdale has 15.

15-18 coaches????? where do you come up with this stuff? When I was there, there were exactly 5 coaches--1 head coach, 2 assistant head coaches/coordinators, and 2 assistants under them. There were some alums who showed up and volunteered for 2-a-days, and that was it. Do NFL teams even have 18 coaches? According to our website there are 9 coaches listed now.

Its completely ridiculous to imply that good football coaches gravitate towards private schools - whether its for money or anything else. Clearly there are good football coaches on both sides. I don't believe most football coaches take their jobs because of money - though it can certainly be a factor. They take jobs as football coaches because they love football. They'd take a job, whereever it was and no matter who it was coaching. They love football, and they love coaching - and they'll do it anywhere they can - public or private.

This statement raises some questions for me. At my school we always have sports after the end of the last period. In soccer for instance we usually start at 2:45pm and work them until at least 5:30pm. Football goes a lot longer on some days can be as late as 7:30pm.

I would be interested to know the averages for practice for most schools. I don't believe it is a Public/Private issue here. It is linked directly to how hard the coaches will push the athletes to get better. When I was working with our girls soccer team in a scrimmage with Hillsboro this August, I noticed that the Hillsboro Football team were already in pads when we arrived in the heat of the day (approx 98 degrees). They were still there working hard when we left the scrimmage approx 3 hours later. I don't think it is a coincidence that Hillsboro is playing in the 4A Championship game in the Boro.

Good coaches, public or private don't have to tolerate kids who won't put in the time. We have a simple rule for all our sports, if you don't stay the whole practice, you forfeit the right to play the next game.

Your right about the time a player attends a practice. But again a lot of kids in the public forum dont have parents that can buy them cars, pay their car insurance and give them $50 to run to the mall or just 'hang' with their buddies, or even a cell phone.

A lot of the rural area kids have jobs and they pay for this themselves. Their parents are both usually working to just keep a roof over their heads and HOPE that their kids can get a scholarship to attend college.

So I applaud these PUBLIC SCHOOL kids who go the extra mile of working hard at pratice and drag in late to get ready to go to work and work on their weekends and keep their grades up.

Everyone gets upset when people say Private -VS- Public schools. This will be that way until the TSSAA get off the $$$ greed they make out of it and classify schools where they belong, different divisions. I think Private Schools would love the challenge of playing in their OWN divisons, just as public would theirs. But again it all stems down to how much of $$$ the TSSAA is willing to give up in order for this spat to stop between everyone.

Have a Great Christmas Everyone! :ph34r:

Smith County a rural 2A school has 10 coaches in their team picture. I can remember a few years ago when JCM was still in 5A and had a very good team. There were around 100 kids on varsity, JV and freshman teams and yet they only had 4 coaches to coach all three teams. Some schools just have the support and some don`t. It`s the same with both public and privates. There`s no need to be upset if another team has more coaches and it shouldn`t matter if it is a public or private school. If your school doesn`t have enough coaches then most likely there is little desire or committment around to truly be sucessful. It doesn`t mean that there are not folks there that want to be good, but when teams like Smith County can get 10 coaches then most anyone can if the overall desire of the community was there.

Smith County a rural 2A school has 10 coaches in their team picture. I can remember a few years ago when JCM was still in 5A and had a very good team. There were around 100 kids on varsity, JV and freshman teams and yet they only had 4 coaches to coach all three teams. Some schools just have the support and some don`t. It`s the same with both public and privates. There`s no need to be upset if another team has more coaches and it shouldn`t matter if it is a public or private school. If your school doesn`t have enough coaches then most likely there is little desire or committment around to truly be sucessful. It doesn`t mean that there are not folks there that want to be good, but when teams like Smith County can get 10 coaches then most anyone can if the overall desire of the community was there.

Yep, this is my point. Smith had more coaches than us when we played them...why? Because they go get volunteers and train them to coach, like we do. Truth is ANYONE can find some folks to donate time to volunteer coach, it is just a matter of asking enough good people. If your head coach isn't willing to do this, it isn't the small privates' fault...the blame rests closer to home.

Yep, this is my point. Smith had more coaches than us when we played them...why? Because they go get volunteers and train them to coach, like we do. Truth is ANYONE can find some folks to donate time to volunteer coach, it is just a matter of asking enough good people. If your head coach isn't willing to do this, it isn't the small privates' fault...the blame rests closer to home.

Hey Baldie....To your credit I have never heard you complain about that public school over in Smith County having more coaches than Boyd. In fact, if I had to guess, your attitude about it is that you are impressed and you are happy for them. I know I am.

I see other public school supporters complain about private schools when they have more coaches, but I have yet to see someone complain about Smith County having 10 coaches.

Two years ago I looked at an MBA program, and I thought

I counted 15-18 coaches. There were at least 12. I am

confident of that number. This probably included freshmen,

JV, and Varsity. They were listed in the high school program

or media guide.

To clarify, I have the 2004 MBA program from two years ago. There were 16 people shown in the "Coaches" picture, although only 12 were considered "official" coaches (not sure of the roles of the other four).

This link shows the 2004 roster and the 12 "official" coaches at the bottom.

Your right about the time a player attends a practice. But again a lot of kids in the public forum dont have parents that can buy them cars, pay their car insurance and give them $50 to run to the mall or just 'hang' with their buddies, or even a cell phone.

A lot of the rural area kids have jobs and they pay for this themselves. Their parents are both usually working to just keep a roof over their heads and HOPE that their kids can get a scholarship to attend college.

So I applaud these PUBLIC SCHOOL kids who go the extra mile of working hard at pratice and drag in late to get ready to go to work and work on their weekends and keep their grades up.

Everyone gets upset when people say Private -VS- Public schools. This will be that way until the TSSAA get off the $$$ greed they make out of it and classify schools where they belong, different divisions. I think Private Schools would love the challenge of playing in their OWN divisons, just as public would theirs. But again it all stems down to how much of $$$ the TSSAA is willing to give up in order for this spat to stop between everyone.

Have a Great Christmas Everyone! :)

Exactly what are you saying??? I don`t understand.

Exactly what are you saying??? I don`t understand.

Most kids in the rural areas have to pay for their own cars, insurance, clothes, sport fees and such. Work jobs and practice their sports, and not miss ONE practice or they lose their spot.

I don't see a lot of kids, who's PARENT'S can afford to put them in private schools, HAVING to hold down jobs like most rural kids. I can just say "Nice BMW and cool threads! Or How was the vacation in Denver sking or sunning in Florida?

As you can tell by the last quote I made I KNOW I am being a smart a$$- but I really do not hold it against the private schooled kids for their PARENTS wealth. I just want it to be known that MOST kids in the rural areas HAVE to work AND make sure they don't miss practice if they want to play. It's not a matter of choice for most and most kids in the rural area cann't run to their parents and expect them to foot the bill for a car payment and a night out with the buddies or girl friend.

SO I do applaud the rural students who do work hard and also make time for sports!

That's my point.

And there ever is a vote on private vs public.

I think they should be two different divisions.

Have a great Christmas everyone!

Msquacks: So, tell me, how exactly do you think the rich folks get their money? You seem to be implying that people with money just found a briefcase of millions on the side of the road! I'll give you a hint: rich people work their butts off so they can be rich!

LOL Boy, I wish money could be found in a briefcase! LOL And yes, rich people make money in all kinds of ways, yes your right by working their butts off. But if you want to get technical they make it other ways also, screwing the next guy over, stealing from the other guy, turning a blind eye to his fellow being, waiting for grandpa and grandma to knock off :thumb: , or better yet, when mom and dad take the plunge and YES working hard for some people.

So please, I was being a very level headed when I wrote my first entry so dont demean yourself by acting like a butt.

And a little hint even people who cann't make ends meet work their butts off also!

I still say the TSSAA should look at placing the private and public in different divisions.

Johnny in rural boonies USA gets out of school at 2:3pm--practice until 5:3pm run home get a shower,grab something to eat--head to work and work 6 pm to 11 pm or 12 am. Get back up at 5 am and start the day over. Plus works weekends.

Private Privy ? Mom or Dad Got a buck? I have known people give their kids debt cards and put a weekly allowance in it!! Now Tell me this isnt true! Plus they get their cars and insurance, clothes, mad money!! (And I am not stupid and realize that not ALL parents are this way with their kids)

I don't be grudge them! This is what THEIR PARENT's work hard for to give their kids the best they can afford.

But Please dont play ignorant and say that the field is equal. The schools should be divided. :D

Edited by Msquacks