Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not legally. No public school (open zoned or magnet or otherwise) can have a kid that lives outside the respective county play athletics. That is illegal for public schools. Private schools often times have kids from different counties and that is legal.

Ok, but how is that an advantage if the private is not going out recruiting good athletes?

????

That wasn't what I said at all. I was asking how it was an advantage for a private to get students from several counties IF they aren't specifically recruiting athletes?

Please read the hypothetical situation below. ( All names have been changed to protect the innocent :huh: )

School A is a public school that is located close to the border of a neighboring county. School A offers competitive athletics and a quality educational program. "Andy" lives in the adjoining county and would like to attend School A but cannot because his parents would have to move across the county lines He would have to have a "bona fide change of residence". "Andy" does decide to attend School B, a private school that is also located across county lines. Neither School A nor School B "recruited" "Andy". His families read the news and see the school report cards and box scores for each school. That is how they made their decisions. They might even be able to pay out of county tuition at School A and have "Andy" attend there but not be eligible for athletics. On the other hand they could send "Andy" to School B and he would be eligble (depending on the situation he might have to sit out a year if he had played previously in HS)

I am sorry but that is huge advantage for a private school. Recruiting has nothing to do with it. :lol:

Please read the hypothetical situation below. ( All names have been changed to protect the innocent :huh: )

School A is a public school that is located close to the border of a neighboring county. School A offers competitive athletics and a quality educational program. "Andy" lives in the adjoining county and would like to attend School A but cannot because his parents would have to move across the county lines He would have to have a "bona fide change of residence". "Andy" does decide to attend School B, a private school that is also located across county lines. Neither School A nor School B "recruited" "Andy". His families read the news and see the school report cards and box scores for each school. That is how they made their decisions. They might even be able to pay out of county tuition at School A and have "Andy" attend there but not be eligible for athletics. On the other hand they could send "Andy" to School B and he would be eligble (depending on the situation he might have to sit out a year if he had played previously in HS)

I am sorry but that is huge advantage for a private school. Recruiting has nothing to do with it. :lol:

I promise you that "they" will not understand that and ask you to explain it again.

I can understand the reasoning with the following privates located within short distance of the Williamson / Davidson County Line: Battle Ground Academy, David Lipscomb, Brentwood Academy, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Ensworth, and Father Ryan

Now I understand why Rutherford County has no private schools.

Why would Andy not be able to play athletics if he attends school A?

Why would Andy not be able to play athletics if he attends school A?

Because even though he pays out of county tuition he is still "out of zone". He will not be ineligble till he has had a "bona fide change of residence" into that county (School A's county) And sitting out for one year would not change that either. He must move to that schools zone (or county if School A is open zone or magnet) in order to play. Students that transfer to a private school (eiher in county or out of county) might have to sit out a year if the had prior HS experience but after that years time they are eligible.

In my opinion that the lack of geographical boundaries is an tremendous advantage for private schools. :thumb: