ddaddy

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my information under the section "are you eligible?"

I see what you are talking about now.

Under the "Are You Eligible?" link on the TSSAA homepage it says -

· In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

That is not what the handbook says but I won't belabor the point. I will concede that private schools can attract students from a larger geographic area than public schools.

Edited by Bighurt

Not legally. No public school (open zoned or magnet or otherwise) can have a kid that lives outside the respective county play athletics. That is illegal for public schools. Private schools often times have kids from different counties and that is legal.

Not true. That would be a county school system rule. That would not be a tssaa rule.

I can understand the reasoning with the following privates located within short distance of the Williamson / Davidson County Line: Battle Ground Academy, David Lipscomb, Brentwood Academy, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Ensworth, and Father Ryan

Now I understand why Rutherford County has no private schools.

Middle Tennessee Christian is in Rutherford County.

I see what you are talking about now.

Under the "Are You Eligible?" link on the TSSAA homepage it says -

· In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

That is not what the handbook says but I won't belabor the point. I will concede that private schools can attract students from a larger geographic area than public schools.

There are a few words missing. It means to be eligible immediately. The bona fide change of residence comes in to play then. If you don't have a bona fide change of residence...you have to sit out 12 months from the last athletic event in which you participated.

There are a few words missing. It means to be eligible immediately. The bona fide change of residence comes in to play then. If you don't have a bona fide change of residence...you have to sit out 12 months from the last athletic event in which you participated.

Antwan can you give any specific examples of schools that have done that? I have never known of a athlete hat lived outside of a county and played athletics that was legal. At least that has been my experience in public schools.

Antwan can you give any specific examples of schools that have done that? I have never known of a athlete hat lived outside of a county and played athletics that was legal. At least that has been my experience in public schools.

We have one that just transferred to a neighboring county. She will be eligible to play in 12 months from her last game if her parents don't move. There are no zoning rules as far as the tssaa is concerned in public schools. Zoning rules are implemented by counties...and or cities. There are rules that deal with areas when you transfer from public to private...or vice versa. Those rules don't apply when transferring public to public. I would think most counties do not accept out of county kids unless they pay some kind of fee.

Edited by Antwan

A few years ago a female basketball player lived in one county and played for Shelbyville Central. This same player was also an All-American.

"There can only be an advantage athletically for small privates if they are intentionally selecting/recruiting athletes from their wide zones"

if i agree with this statement (which i dont, by the way) then you are saying that the small privates must be intentionally selecting/recruiting athletes.

some advantage(s) exist, the numbers dont lie.

i dont believe it is possible that the advantage(s) all come from some huge recruiting conspiracy.

i am not saying i dont believe any privates recruit, i just believe an equal percentage of publics would be able to match the effort.

Laz,

I know you and I disagree here, but my reasoning is sound. I am not saying that there aren't any advantages for small privates, I am saying that the wide zone argument doesn't hold water. Rural vs Urban makes more sense statistically, and is held up when one looks at public vs public also. The size of the zone has nothing to do with how many athletes one gets as long as one is not filtering the sample for athletes somehow. And keep in mind that while the small privates have dominated the 1a state for the last 10 years or so it has been a bunch of different ones...none of which have ever achieved the kinds of winning streaks that Alcoa and Fulton have. So it is hard to support anything but a special case...1a vs 1a, which the multiplier has effectively altered.

I also think that some privates as well as some publics bend, twist, and break the rules. I just occasionally call down people who claim that every private that is any good does that :>)

THis has always been my understanding also...moves out of zone make you eligible right away, otherwise you have a year from your last Varsity play date OR if you practiced for more than 2 weeks with the previous school's team.

I really thought that crossing county lines was illegal. Although as I read the hand book it would on 1st appearence seem to support Antwans statement. Is suppose the all the cases I had dealt with involved students that moved (bona fide change of residence) in order to be eligible immediately. I do find it hard to believe that in 13 years in public schools I never had an athlete or knew of an athlete that did live outside the county and did sit out the 12 months and then became eligible.

I really thought that crossing county lines was illegal. Although as I read the hand book it would on 1st appearence seem to support Antwans statement. Is suppose the all the cases I had dealt with involved students that moved (bona fide change of residence) in order to be eligible immediately. I do find it hard to believe that in 13 years in public schools I never had an athlete or knew of an athlete that did live outside the county and did sit out the 12 months and then became eligible.

There have been several athletes that attended private schools in Davidson County and when they leave they allowed to participate for the public school that they are zoned to in another county.

QB leaves MBA and plays for Indy.

Female BB leaves Father Ryan and plays for Greenbrier.

Wrestler leave JPII and competes for Centennial.

Not one of these athletes had to sit for 12 months.