Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about this method of recouping tuition money?

Tuition Reduction

Your link is not for Jackson Christian here in Tennessee, it is for a Jackson Christian in Michigan.

Nevertheless it is an intriguing approach which I don't think would be legal with the TSSAA laws here. Many schools Public and Private have cards with supermarkets where some percentage is fed back to the school. A few years back it was less automated and you basically placed your receipt into a slot for the school of your choice when you left.

What about this method of recouping tuition money?

Tuition Reduction

I like to deal with facts. Thats why I tend to focus my arguments on the "lack of geographic boundaries argument". But I assure you that there is a very nebulous world of "work aid" that does go on at private schools. Is it illegal? I am not sure that it has ever been addressed by the TSSAA.

My favorite example of a "tuition reduction" is when a star athlete paid 100% of his tuiton but his two younger siblings (in elementary school) got a tremendous discount on their tuiton. Perfectly legal by all definitions but still somewhat shady by my description. :thumb:

I can understand the reasoning with the following privates located within short distance of the Williamson / Davidson County Line: Battle Ground Academy, David Lipscomb, Brentwood Academy, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Franklin Road Academy, Ensworth, and Father Ryan

Now I understand why Rutherford County has no private schools.

Battle Ground Academy was located in downtown Franklin for over 50 years before moving to the new location. They were land locked in their old location.

Father Ryan was located in downtown Nashville for over 50 years before moving because they had no land to expand.

Ensworth is a new high school in Bellevue but their grade school is still located in Nashville, one block from MBA. The high school was built in Bellevue because a large plot of raw land was donated.

Because even though he pays out of county tuition he is still "out of zone". He will not be ineligble till he has had a "bona fide change of residence" into that county (School A's county) And sitting out for one year would not change that either. He must move to that schools zone (or county if School A is open zone or magnet) in order to play. Students that transfer to a private school (eiher in county or out of county) might have to sit out a year if the had prior HS experience but after that years time they are eligible.

In my opinion that the lack of geographical boundaries is an tremendous advantage for private schools. :blink:

Fade, in the case you made the private school is at an advantage, no question.

What about counties where there are competitive public programs that "Andy" can attend for free without paying the 6000+ dollars of private school tuition? Since almost every private is in a populated county, that is much more the situation than the one you describe, wouldn't you say?

What if there is no comptetitive public program and "Andy" and his family simply can't afford tuition?

What if there is no competitive public program and "Andy" can't read and write well enough to keep up at the private so he is ineligible/has to leave school?

My point is that while it is possible to build a specific case where the small privates seem to have an advantage, the majority of cases actually put them at a disadvantage as long as they are not breaking the rules and recruiting "Andy" because of his athleticism/illegally giving him aid to attend.

From a purely statistical viewpoint, there is no difference in getting 10 gallons of water from a large, shallow puddle and getting 10 gallons of water from a smaller deeper puddle...10 gallons is still 10 gallons. There can only be an advantage athletically for small privates if they are intentionally selecting/recruiting athletes from their wide zones...otherwise the disadvantages at least equal out the advantages.

"There can only be an advantage athletically for small privates if they are intentionally selecting/recruiting athletes from their wide zones"

if i agree with this statement (which i dont, by the way) then you are saying that the small privates must be intentionally selecting/recruiting athletes.

some advantage(s) exist, the numbers dont lie.

i dont believe it is possible that the advantage(s) all come from some huge recruiting conspiracy.

i am not saying i dont believe any privates recruit, i just believe an equal percentage of publics would be able to match the effort.

"so you are saying some do which in Baldcoach's words you are calling privates cheaters."

memphis tigers,

i believe that SOME people with the privates "cheat",

just like i believe that SOME people with publics "cheat".

i suspect that our rather fuzzy recruiting rule is stretched, bent, interpreted, and twisted beyond recognition by any number of people, all of whom feel perfectly justified in their actions....

kind of like you and boiled coach stretch, bend, interpret, and twist one another's words so you can feel offended.

nobody has a monopoly on human nature.

Because even though he pays out of county tuition he is still "out of zone". He will not be ineligble till he has had a "bona fide change of residence" into that county (School A's county) And sitting out for one year would not change that either. He must move to that schools zone (or county if School A is open zone or magnet) in order to play. Students that transfer to a private school (eiher in county or out of county) might have to sit out a year if the had prior HS experience but after that years time they are eligible.

In my opinion that the lack of geographical boundaries is an tremendous advantage for private schools. :lol:

I don't see any "out of zone" language in the TSSAA Handbook. It does say that without a bona fide change of residence a student is ineligible for 12 months. I could be wrong about this. It wouldn't be the first time.

Transfer rules from public to private are much more restrictive than public to public or private to public both by rule and in practice - for example, the recent hardship ruling on a wrestler's transfer from JPII to Centennial.

I don't see any "out of zone" language in the TSSAA Handbook. It does say that without a bona fide change of residence a student is ineligible for 12 months. I could be wrong about this. It wouldn't be the first time.

Transfer rules from public to private are much more restrictive than public to public or private to public both by rule and in practice - for example, the recent hardship ruling on a wrestler's transfer from JPII to Centennial.

From the TSSAA section on eligbility:

· In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

From the TSSAA section on eligbility:

· In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

Again. I am not trying to argue with you but in Article II, Sections 11,12,13,14 and 15 (pages 13, 14 and 15 of the latest PDF from the TSSAA webite) I don't see this language used. You may be correct.