Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

Your county may have no issue with recruiting...there are public schools however who allow students from outside their zone attend and play sports if they pay a fee...they are typically special school districts...again it may not apply to your school but it definately applies to some public school settings...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your county may have no issue with recruiting...there are public schools however who allow students from outside their zone attend and play sports if they pay a fee...they are typically special school districts...again it may not apply to your school but it definately applies to some public school settings...

Maybe in the bigger cities that have more than one high school. It would be impossible in PC.

Maybe in the bigger cities that have more than one high school. It would be impossible in PC.

supposes that PC won a state championship this year.... my guess is that there would be at least 5 or 6 incomming freshmen enxt year that are there to play football for a state championship team. Is this recruiting, no. And i'm not saying it would be. But alot of times that is what happens for a school public or not. Sometimes people change schools specifically for sports, there is nothing to TSSAA can do about it. The only problem people have is that it is hard for a kid to change schools into a public school who is winning championships. And if a kid's parents have enough money then it is relatively easy to change schools into a private school who wins state championships. Alot of times the "recruiting" that private schools do is by winning region the previous year and looking attractive to promising athletes that want to play for a good team. (by the way, public schools also look equally attractive when winning but as i have mentioned it is harder to transfer into a public school than a private school)

supposes that PC won a state championship this year.... my guess is that there would be at least 5 or 6 incomming freshmen enxt year that are there to play football for a state championship team. Is this recruiting, no. And i'm not saying it would be. But alot of times that is what happens for a school public or not. Sometimes people change schools specifically for sports, there is nothing to TSSAA can do about it. The only problem people have is that it is hard for a kid to change schools into a public school who is winning championships. And if a kid's parents have enough money then it is relatively easy to change schools into a private school who wins state championships. Alot of times the "recruiting" that private schools do is by winning region the previous year and looking attractive to promising athletes that want to play for a good team. (by the way, public schools also look equally attractive when winning but as i have mentioned it is harder to transfer into a public school than a private school)

I agree with that statement. Having a successful team certainly does make kids want to play that may not have been interested before. As a matter of fact, there are several at PC who are going to play in '07 that did not play in '06. Even though we didn't have what most people would call a "successful season", we gave every opponent a good game (except for Mt Pleasant, of course). That, in relation to PC teams of the past, was a successful season.

I agree with that statement. Having a successful team certainly does make kids want to play that may not have been interested before. As a matter of fact, there are several at PC who are going to play in '07 that did not play in '06. Even though we didn't have what most people would call a "successful season", we gave every opponent a good game (except for Mt Pleasant, of course). That, in relation to PC teams of the past, was a successful season.

I agree that winning generally attracts greater participation. My observation has been that most of those who jump on the bandwagon hop off when the road gets a little rough!

As far as it being more difficult to transfer into a public school than a private school, I would respectfully beg to differ. Check out the transfer rules at tssaa.org and I think you will see what I mean.

I agree that winning generally attracts greater participation. My observation has been that most of those who jump on the bandwagon hop off when the road gets a little rough!

As far as it being more difficult to transfer into a public school than a private school, I would respectfully beg to differ. Check out the transfer rules at tssaa.org and I think you will see what I mean.

I live in about Halfway between Goodpasture and ravenwood (hypothetically). I am not zoned for ravenwood at all. If i were going to be a freshmen next year it would be much easier to just pay and go to goodpasture than it would be to have to find someone who was zoned for ravenwood and lie using their adress as my own to be zoned for ravenwood. Now i didn't read the TSSAA.org website, but if there is anything in there about not having to be zoned for a school and you can still transfer to that school then... well to put it frankly i would see no point in arguing privates vs. public.

IF THEY PAY A FEE. Atleast public school doesnt have alumni paying fees to parents so their kids can attend the private school. Now this may not apply to your school, but it definately applies to some private schools.

Is this a person who supports a school who draws kids from 9 different counties? If those 5 or 6 freshman enters a school they have to "move" into that county, then if they are not zoned properly, they have to pay a fee to attend a out of zone school. Trust me if a kid is good enough to attend a private school that is winning championships, I promise you the parents will always have "money"

As far as easier to transfer to a private school, you are correct. All the more reason for a split to even the playing field. Because like you said the transfer is easy, and you know the money will always be there.

Edited by MPHSTIGERS87

IF THEY PAY A FEE. Atleast public school doesnt have alumni paying fees to parents so their kids can attend the private school. Now this may not apply to your school, but it definately applies to some private schools.

Is this a person who supports a school who draws kids from 9 different counties? If those 5 or 6 freshman enters a school they have to "move" into that county, then if they are not zoned properly, they have to pay a fee to attend a out of zone school. Trust me if a kid is good enough to attend a private school that is winning championships, I promise you the parents will always have "money"

As far as easier to transfer to a private school, you are correct. All the more reason for a split to even the playing field. Because like you said the transfer is easy, and you know the money will always be there.

". . . easier to transfer to a private school. . ."? Where did you get your information? Again, look at the transfer rules in the TSSAA handbook. A transfer to a private school must sit out 12 months if they have established an athletic record at their previous school. There is an appeal process which in practice has meant that a transfer to a private school has NEVER been approved on appeal.

Let me give you an example. There is a student now wrestling at Centennial who played football last semester for JPII where he won a state championship in wrestling last year. This transfer was approved by the TSSAA. I can give you more examples.

I have seen plenty of former private school students

sitting out a year at public schools.

". . . easier to transfer to a private school. . ."? Where did you get your information? Again, look at the transfer rules in the TSSAA handbook. A transfer to a private school must sit out 12 months if they have established an athletic record at their previous school. There is an appeal process which in practice has meant that a transfer to a private school has NEVER been approved on appeal.

Let me give you an example. There is a student now wrestling at Centennial who played football last semester for JPII where he won a state championship in wrestling last year. This transfer was approved by the TSSAA. I can give you more examples.

Sitting out 12 months isnt the problem. If I live in "a" county and I have a kid who wants to go to a private school in "b" county. I can send them there and they sit out there 12 months. If I live "a" county and I want my kid to attend a public school in "b" county I cant do it unless I move to "b" county. What part of that do private people not understand? If that isnt a disadvantage for the public schools than what is? Other than some things you people hate for me to bring up.

I have seen plenty of former private school students

sitting out a year at public schools.

I agree but I have never seen a transfer student to a private school granted a hardship waiver and not have to sit out the 12 months. I have seen transfers from private to public granted "hardship" waivers on several occasions.

One example is noted in my post to MPHSTIGERS87. Ravenwood had a transfer from CPA play on their football team this year without sitting out 12 months. They also had a transfer from David Lipscomb play in 2005 without sitting out a year.

Edited by Bighurt