Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

Ok..GC..You brought up a good point..You've seen U.C. play..I'm sure you've seen Dyer Co play a couple times..I live in Newbern actually ...several people from Dyer Co has said they'd like to play U.C..A couple buddies of mine teased me when I said Dyer Co has an excellent team and it would ge a great game,but I thought U.C. would win by about 6..I know a team can't shoot that well every night but based on the team you saw and the speed ..Who do you think would win?

Dyer Co. has more heigth advantage and just about the same quickness as Union City...however Union City has better 3 point shooters...If both teams were "ON" I would see Union City winning by 3 or 4...but don't get me wrong Dyer Co. does have a player named Justin Blake that would be by far the best player on the court for either team...he is AMAZINGGGGGGGGG...by the way I'm only about 10 minutes down the road from you...I'm between Dyer and Yorkville

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyer Co. has more heigth advantage and just about the same quickness as Union City...however Union City has better 3 point shooters...If both teams were "ON" I would see Union City winning by 3 or 4...but don't get me wrong Dyer Co. does have a player named Justin Blake that would be by far the best player on the court for either team...he is AMAZINGGGGGGGGG...by the way I'm only about 10 minutes down the road from you...I'm between Dyer and Yorkville

I would like to see that game too.....

First, Congrats to UC boys and girls! And likewise to LC.

I want to point out what I saw Saturday night that just confirmed what I said early this season.

I watched the game from the rail which gave me a good vantage point.

I don't think UC has the athletisism of either LC or Humbolt, BUT I do believe they have the best coaching philosophy anywhere in the state and all the other coaches need to take a good look at it. (save for MJ, and Simpson)

To beat UC you HAVE to do the following:

1) Stop throwing lousy lob passes. UC eats this up! They are always looking for a steal from weak passes. I am not so sure the press is the problem so much as their ability to look for weak passing. There is no such thing as "free-ins" with them. UC ripped Trenton a new one this way. UC never makes weak passes. Good job UC.

2) Keep your eye on the stinkin' ball! UC passes the ball down the court more than they dribble it more times than not beating the defence to the other end of the court forcing a one-on-one down low or the open three and you just can't give them that Much room! The same for offence, UC double teams at the hlaf court line or sooner and most teams don't even know it is happening cause they are all looking the other way. Good job UC.

3) FUNDAMENTAL FUNDAMENTALS FUNDAMENTALS! You cannot miss lay-ups and 4-6 ft jump shots. You just can't. 3's are a little trickier, but there is not reason to miss a short jumper or lay-up. UC is super solid right here. 2 points every possession. Their 3's are pretty but most of their points are scored within 8 ft of the rim. If you can't shut it down, match it. Good job UC.

If LC beats UC it is cause of athleticism. And yes, I want LC to beat UC. BUt some of the rest of us need to take a good look at why they win and learn from it. Quit squakin' about them being single A and start running and shooting. Free throws are important, but don't say a team lost to them (UC) by missing a few frees at thend of the game. Get your junk together and play the first three quarters and it won't be an issue.

...I think I am done now....I feel better...um... Go LAKE County!!!!!

Hey mightymac you hit the nail right on the head, you hit that right out of the park. That was an A-one analysis. I hope the Falcons are listening. ESPN could definitely use you if you are looking for a job. :P

I.ve seen Justin and Dyer Co play several times...Have known his mother a long time..She grew up in Lake Co where her brother was a very good quarterback in high school..I also work in the same office as Justin's uncle,who was a former starter for the Dyersburg Trojans and played a little while at Tenn.St..We talk about Justin,Lake Co,Dyer Co and other teams every day..I tried to get his mom to let him go to Lake Co ..She used to kid her about it every day..I'm going to try to make a couple Dyer Co games in the region at Gibson Co if Lake Co isn't playing!I like messing around here for fun..Going to try to make the U.C. posts interesting...U.C. has a very good team..but I'm going to mess with them anyway!

I would like to see that game too.....

It would be a great game..Seriously..I believe Dyer Co will make it to the Boro!I work with a lot of the Dyer Co faithful and they get mad when you talk about those Choctaws..It's all in fun...!I would love to see Lake Co ..Union City..Dyer Co and Liberty at the Boro this year..If we don't go.I'll cheer for whoever is from our area..If we don't go..I'd like to see Humboldt go..But..I'd love to play U.C. for the State title..but that's a long way away!I just hope we go..Win it or Not!

It would be a great game..Seriously..I believe Dyer Co will make it to the Boro!I work with a lot of the Dyer Co faithful and they get mad when you talk about those Choctaws..It's all in fun...!I would love to see Lake Co ..Union City..Dyer Co and Liberty at the Boro this year..If we don't go.I'll cheer for whoever is from our area..If we don't go..I'd like to see Humboldt go..But..I'd love to play U.C. for the State title..but that's a long way away!I just hope we go..Win it or Not!

Im going to the boro no matter who's playing...I said during the regular season when I got to see Dyer Co. play with Justin Blake that they will make it to Murfreesboro...What about a Dyer Co./Liberty final??? possible?

Im going to the boro no matter who's playing...I said during the regular season when I got to see Dyer Co. play with Justin Blake that they will make it to Murfreesboro...What about a Dyer Co./Liberty final??? possible?

Not likely..If Dyer Co wins the region and substate game and Liberty does the same..they would play in the 2nd game..The only way they could play in the final would be for Dyer Co to be the runner-up in the region..travel to Memphis in the substate game,probably be B.T.W. ..and win..and then they would be in a different bracket and only play in the final game..But..by going that route..it may be a good chance that they stay at home!

my observations on the lake co./humboldt game is about the same as everyone else's....both of these teams are able to beat union city...haven't yet, but are able to...the one thing that killed humboldt was having epperson guard springer there in the 1st half...if we would've discovered earlier in the 1st half that wade could stick on him like he did in the 2nd half then humboldt might have had a larger lead going into half...i also noticed that the refs are very light on calling carry...both teams in the game were carrying the ball almost every time down court...springer does it the most on lake co. with his crossover and hunt and parham do it the most for humboldt...but free throw shooting was awful on both teams...last game between the 2 of these teams at lake co., both teams didn't really have a good game shooting free throws then either...but ill be there to watch the championship...and hopefully humboldt puts up 100+ again on trenton like they did earlier in the year...idk if they can put up 130 like uc...but at least 100

my observations on the lake co./humboldt game is about the same as everyone else's....both of these teams are able to beat union city...haven't yet, but are able to...the one thing that killed humboldt was having epperson guard springer there in the 1st half...if we would've discovered earlier in the 1st half that wade could stick on him like he did in the 2nd half then humboldt might have had a larger lead going into half...i also noticed that the refs are very light on calling carry...both teams in the game were carrying the ball almost every time down court...springer does it the most on lake co. with his crossover and hunt and parham do it the most for humboldt...but free throw shooting was awful on both teams...last game between the 2 of these teams at lake co., both teams didn't really have a good game shooting free throws then either...but ill be there to watch the championship...and hopefully humboldt puts up 100+ again on trenton like they did earlier in the year...idk if they can put up 130 like uc...but at least 100

10-23 isn't doing a bad job of shooting free throws, it's horrendous lol...If Humboldt hit's atleast 50% of their free throws in that game, they win by 2...I'm looking forward to seeing how the UC-LC game goes....If the same UC team shows up that did the other night, no one in single A will beat them...Heck, they would've even gave Liberty a scare the way they shot the ball...However, if Lake Co. is able to alter some shots and not get behind too far when UC makes their run, then we might just witness an upset..

Edited by red_16

I'm with you on the carrying the ball..Actually springer did better the other night..The last time we played each other your assistant kept telling the official during the game and the official told him that was enough..Before the game the other night ,I saw your assistant telling Hammond,one of the officials ,to watch it also..I believe the saem as you..If Humbolt can get back defensively..Union City will have to hit from the outside..As long as they are on..U.C. is hard to beat..But..on a night those shots aren't falling..they're not going to be able to come inside very much..Neither of us has beaten them but both are capable!

10-23 isn't doing a bad job of shooting free throws, it's horrendous lol...If Humboldt hit's atleast 50% of their free throws in that game, they win by 2...I'm looking forward to seeing how the UC-LC game goes....If the same UC team shows up that did the other night, no one in single A will beat them...Heck, they would've even gave Liberty a scare the way they shot the ball...However, if Lake Co. is able to alter some shots and not get behind too far when UC makes their run, then we might just witness an upset..

You're right..They could have beaten most anyone the other night..I haven't seen the stats but I sure would like to know what we shot from the free throw line as well..Lake Co fan should know..Good luck tomorrow night!

Congrats to MJ Brown on his Mr.Basketball nomination.....He is in line to become Union City's third player honored and the fourth winner overall...Stanley Caldwell won the AA award twice and Marquis Weddle won the 1A award last season.....

The Messenger had a couple good points about MJ's numbers this season.....They could be much more impressive....He averages 16ppg,7apg,6rpg and 4spg..He does this in just 23 minutes per game.....He shoots 52% from inside the arc...36% on his threes and 74% free throws.....He has SAT out the entire fourth quarter 14 times this season and has not even played the entire second half in five games....I'm pretty sure he missed one game entirely while being sick....

Edited by backinthaoc