Question for 1A fans that want a split

I have heard a rumor of a public school recruiting

through a church. Unfortunately, both public and

private schools use whatever means are available.

Rumor speaks for itself. Problem is, privates have have more means available.

Public - one county........Privates - 9 counties.........do the math!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spins can be made on this topic all they want but the bottomline is Privates have advantages. Open zoning, type of child they have in the school are just a couple. First, as I opened up the latest on the ball magazine here in west TN what did I see? A full page add for Trinity Christian Academy! Was there any pictures of classrooms or christian meanings? Nope, all pictures of their athletic programs. I know of other privates that advertise on radio, newspaper etc. I know the private people are going to say they must advertise to get students to come to school. Why not advertise the educationof your school or christian affiliation, not the athletics if you are not trying to reach athletic students?? It is proven statistic that the percentage of private school students playing athletics is much higher than publics. The students in private schools typically, not all but most, come from middle class to upper middle class homes if not they could not afford the tution. THese students are more likely to be involved in athletics and to be career motivated. If they were not future motivated then why are they at a private school. In public schools we deal with the range of students from many socioeconomic backgrounds, some with learning disabilities and broken homes. This plays a role in their time spent in sports as well as them even participating in athletics. Some years will public schools be able to compete with and beat privates? Yes. Is it consisitent no. Final note, alot has been said about Trousdale Co., if you want to know Coach Satterfield's feelings on privates and the split call him you may be surprised to find his is one of the biggest proponents of a public/ private split!! :lol:

Dude,

Publics have recruited all surrounding counties of a

county.

Your math is flawed.

But many privates have vast resources.

The difference is that many privates are competing

with publics with lesser resources than the privates.

Rumor speaks for itself. Problem is, privates have have more means available.

Public - one county........Privates - 9 counties.........do the math!

Spins can be made on this topic all they want but the bottomline is Privates have advantages. Open zoning, type of child they have in the school are just a couple. First, as I opened up the latest on the ball magazine here in west TN what did I see? A full page add for Trinity Christian Academy! Was there any pictures of classrooms or christian meanings? Nope, all pictures of their athletic programs. I know of other privates that advertise on radio, newspaper etc. I know the private people are going to say they must advertise to get students to come to school. Why not advertise the educationof your school or christian affiliation, not the athletics if you are not trying to reach athletic students?? It is proven statistic that the percentage of private school students playing athletics is much higher than publics. The students in private schools typically, not all but most, come from middle class to upper middle class homes if not they could not afford the tution. THese students are more likely to be involved in athletics and to be career motivated. If they were not future motivated then why are they at a private school. In public schools we deal with the range of students from many socioeconomic backgrounds, some with learning disabilities and broken homes. This plays a role in their time spent in sports as well as them even participating in athletics. Some years will public schools be able to compete with and beat privates? Yes. Is it consisitent no. Final note, alot has been said about Trousdale Co., if you want to know Coach Satterfield's feelings on privates and the split call him you may be surprised to find his is one of the biggest proponents of a public/ private split!! <_<

You opened up a "sports" magazine. I see no problem with TCA promoting their athletes and athletic facilities off in a "sports" magazine. Look in the Jackson Sun and you will see thier advertizements with pics of lower school kids, choir, classrooms etc. As for Coach Satterfield, everyone knows he dislikes the privates. Does it keep him from beating them a majority of the time? No. So obviously he is doing something right, you tell me what it is.

Brentwood Acad.'s Coach Flatt was on the radio the other day and said all privates should be seperated from publics b/c of distinct and obvious advantages that does't allow fair and equal comp between the two!!!

So what? His image of a private school is Brentwood Academy who travel to McCallie,Baylor, and MBA every year. Of course he thinks that some privates have advantages because in his mind these schools represent what a private school is. But if you think a guy from Brentwood Academy really knows anything about Boyd Buchanan or JCS or DCA or Ezell-Harding you're crazy. Trust me Boyd, for example, has a lot more in common with a public shcool of similiar size than they do Brentwood Academy. Thats no knock on Boyd but lets compare apples to apples here and Coach Flatt has not been around many of the "apples" that a split would really effect.

Here`s a legitimate question for 1A fans that want a split and I really believe that this question gets down to the VERY BASIC problem at hand.

How does Trousdale County do it?

I hear complaints about private schools yet here is a very small 1A rural public school that not only has had great success but for years has continued to have a great program. If they were a private school they would be described as being dominant. So what I`m asking from those of you who maintain that private schools have unfair advantages is to stop and reflect and take a look at Trousdale County and discuss what they have and the reasons why they are consistently very good.

Stop trying to compare your school to private schools for a moment and compare yourself to TC.

Let`s hear it.

Old Pirate says TC has a winning program for several possiable reasons, (1) The community buys into the fact that TC is a football dominate area and the kids have been taught the game since infants. (2) TC has been please with great stability at the coaching position. (3) TC is a county school that has a good number of students within the county system and few schools to pull kids away.

TC unlike So. Pitts. is 1 of 3 schools in the county and is the smallest. SP has been known for its football and it is not because of a large enrollment. SP 9-12 enrollment is currently around 250 students. TC is a large 1A school now and will likely have to move back up in classification in a few years. Coach Saterfield would most likely move to 3A to avoid the NOW stronger 2A classification since the influx of privates. Old Pirate says to maintain a successful program it is a MUST to have a quality youth program. SP can see a quality bunch coming up thru their youth program.

So what? His image of a private school is Brentwood Academy who travel to McCallie,Baylor, and MBA every year. Of course he thinks that some privates have advantages because in his mind these schools represent what a private school is. But if you think a guy from Brentwood Academy really knows anything about Boyd Buchanan or JCS or DCA or Ezell-Harding you're crazy. Trust me Boyd, for example, has a lot more in common with a public shcool of similiar size than they do Brentwood Academy. Thats no knock on Boyd but lets compare apples to apples here and Coach Flatt has not been around many of the "apples" that a split would really effect.

Wow! One day Flatt is the godfather of the private kingdom, and now he speaks

out against the kingdom, and he's the dumbest guy on the planet. Hmmmmm.

:(

Old timer my point is would it not be seen as recruiting if a rural 1A school took out a full page ad in any magazine promoting their athletic accomplishments? Yes it would. These public schools can not say " oh come to our school we have great athletic facilities, a rich tradition blah blah blah. That is recruiting. Then why should a school that plays in the same system as the publics be allowed to do this?? If you are going to be a part of the same system play by the same rules. It has always seemed funny to me that parents want a private education for their kids yet want them to be a part of public athletics! :(

Edited by wardawg2038

Old timer my point is would it not be seen as recruiting if a rural 1A school took out a full page ad in any magazine promoting their athletic accomplishments? Yes it would. These public schools can not say " oh come to our school we have great athletic facilities, a rich tradition blah blah blah. That is recruiting. Then why should a school that plays in the same system as the publics be allowed to do this?? If you are going to be a part of the same system play by the same rules. It has always seemed funny to me that parents want a private education for their kids yet want them to be a part of public athletics! :lol:

You're absolutely right, young fellow. B)