Question for 1A fans that want a split

I'm saying that they weren't giving out tickets at the visitor's side gate and the gate by the concession stand. I personally saw the visitor's side gate, and was told by other parents that they didn't recieve tickets at the 2nd gate.

I arrived at the game at about 4:30 at the same time the GP team arrived. I helped carry team equipment in, going in and out of the gate several times. It would have been easy to stay in the stadium and not pay, but I offered my $7 to the man at the gate. He opened the box and gave me a ticket.

About 2 1/2 hours later, just before game time it was getting colder, the sun had gone down. I went back to the gate to ask if I could step out to my car, which was about 30 ft from the gate since I was so early, and get another blanket. There were two women there, the man was gone. When I showed the woman my ticket and asked to go to my car, she asked me how I got my ticket. I told her the story of how the man had given me the ticket when I paid earlier. She told me I wasn't supposed to have the ticket, so when I came back from my car, I would have to surrender my ticket.

I went to my car, came back and she took my ticket. But I thought it was very odd, so I moved about 20 feet away and watched. The two women took $7 from each each person walking through the gate, and never gave any tickets out (I watched them take cash from about 3 dozen people). Each woman had about a 3" stack of cash in their hands. When I went back to my seat, I asked around whether anyone else had a ticket. None of the GP fans around me had received a ticket.

Did Milan keep TSSAA's cut of the gate? I have no idea. Maybe they kept count in their heads. I just know what I saw. I sent TSSAA an e-mail with the same details and my contact information thinking they might call to confirm details, but haven't heard from them. Maybe they don't need to contact me. Maybe they already knew. Maybe its not an issue to them. All I know is that I've never been to a TSSAA playoff game without receiving a ticket, and thought they should know.

I honestly don't know anything about it. I know I paid $21 and received 3 tickets.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, got your attention.

Trousdale Cnty, South Pittsburgh, Gordonsville, Tyner, Loudon, Alcoa, Smith County, Westmoreland, Knox Fulton, need I go on??? Those are all teams from the East only, mostly around Chatt or Knoxville. I didn't even include the totally dominating 4 and 5a publics, nor really good middle Tn teams like Cheatam Cnty or west teams like Milan and Huntingdon (3 more in 2a alone!). Year in year out there are plenty of 1a, 2a, and 3a public programs that are as good as or better than the privates they play.

And I would say of the two of us I probably know a lot more about Sequatchie Football than you do about small private schools. But I'm absolutely sure I know how to turn a small school program around, and I'm also sure you guys have the right stuff to do it. I hope you do...its up to you, no small private is stopping you. And once you have done it and your kids have won some titles and all the not-so-good small public schools you are clobbering start blaming you for the way they are performing come find me, we'll laugh about it over some dinner.

I would think you would rather pray for them.

I honestly don't know anything about it. I know I paid $21 and received 3 tickets.

Maybe they ran out of tickets at that gate - I don't know. It was a huge crowd. The odd thing was that the woman told me "You aren't supposed to have that [ticket]... you'll have to give it back".

I did my civic duty and reported the incident to TSSAA. They can decide whether there's any merit and whether they want to follow up.

Good, got your attention.

Trousdale Cnty, South Pittsburgh, Gordonsville, Tyner, Loudon, Alcoa, Smith County, Westmoreland, Knox Fulton, need I go on??? Those are all teams from the East only, mostly around Chatt or Knoxville. I didn't even include the totally dominating 4 and 5a publics, nor really good middle Tn teams like Cheatam Cnty or west teams like Milan and Huntingdon (3 more in 2a alone!). Year in year out there are plenty of 1a, 2a, and 3a public programs that are as good as or better than the privates they play.

And I would say of the two of us I probably know a lot more about Sequatchie Football than you do about small private schools. But I'm absolutely sure I know how to turn a small school program around, and I'm also sure you guys have the right stuff to do it. I hope you do...its up to you, no small private is stopping you. And once you have done it and your kids have won some titles and all the not-so-good small public schools you are clobbering start blaming you for the way they are performing come find me, we'll laugh about it over some dinner.

Being competitive with and consistently winning against are different things. You'd be surprised how much I know about how private schools operate, knowing graduates, current students and parents of current students at several Chatt privates. Seq lost to Marion, Westmoreland, Tyner, etc, so I'm not blaming their bad season on private schools. Whether you want to hear it or not, I have nothing against them, I just want them in a different divisision for region competition and the postseason. It could be done easily.

I haven't read all the thread, so excuse me if this has already been brought up. Concerning Trousdale County and Perry County.

How does Trousdale County do in basketball and baseball as opposed to football? Likewise, over time how does Perry County do in football and baseball as opposed to basketball?

I think exceptional coaches and systems can breed a successful program in a sport no matter the size and resources. The fact that a small 1A school can keep those sort of coaches around is a testiment to those coaches. My opinion is that once the successful coach leaves, the program will suffer as well and the small public isn't going to have the resources to attract another 'name' coach.

Here`s a legitimate question for 1A fans that want a split and I really believe that this question gets down to the VERY BASIC problem at hand.

How does Trousdale County do it?

I hear complaints about private schools yet here is a very small 1A rural public school that not only has had great success but for years has continued to have a great program. If they were a private school they would be described as being dominant. So what I`m asking from those of you who maintain that private schools have unfair advantages is to stop and reflect and take a look at Trousdale County and discuss what they have and the reasons why they are consistently very good.

Stop trying to compare your school to private schools for a moment and compare yourself to TC.

Let`s hear it.

Trousdale was 7-5 this year.

I haven't read all the thread, so excuse me if this has already been brought up. Concerning Trousdale County and Perry County.

How does Trousdale County do in basketball and baseball as opposed to football? Likewise, over time how does Perry County do in football and baseball as opposed to basketball?

I think exceptional coaches and systems can breed a successful program in a sport no matter the size and resources. The fact that a small 1A school can keep those sort of coaches around is a testiment to those coaches. My opinion is that once the successful coach leaves, the program will suffer as well and the small public isn't going to have the resources to attract another 'name' coach.

I agree with what you are saying there ksgovol. Finally I think someone has hit the nail on the head. I`ve always said the main key to any program was the coach. A coach does more than just teach x`s and o`s. He`s a leader and motivator and recruiter. Some kids have to be prodded out of the hallways. Kids need a direction and purpose to do that extra weight work in the offseason and I`m not talking about 2 or 3 players. I`m talking about the whole team doing what it takes to be a top level team. Not too long ago JaxMan pointed out that he knew someone from a school that didn`t have a summer workout program. How can you expect to be successful if you don`t do the things that make you successful?

A good coach also motivates parents. It shouldn`t be a coaches job to run a booster club, but he can still be instrumental in finding the right parents to do the job. He can also develop a good relationship with local merchants to get their support. At JCM we have a whole lot of parents that simply won`t help out with fundraisers and such, but the last several years the booster club has been reborn and more parents are getting involved and it makes a difference. Lat year we had enough money left over to send the seniors to the Peach Bowl to watch Miami and LSU.

These are all things that a good coach might not be responsible for directly, but is a result though of being a good leader, motivator, and communicator.

You can look at someone like Satterfield who has been there a long time and tell he`s the main reason that Trousdale is so good. I frankly don`t think there is much difference between the boys at Trousdale and those at Perry County. Trousdale just has a better direction.

I will also say this....I think it`s harder for small rural schools to find a good coach who wants to stay in a rural area, or doesn`t care to move up to a bigger program. But I think that comes down to more of an urban/rural difference rather than a public/private one.

Yep. I agree with the rural/urban thing too to a degree. The common thread between the Satterfields, Insells and Rhodes that were very successful at rural schools is that it was their school. It's tougher to hold onto a good coach at a small rural school if that coach has no ties to the area and so it's hard to build and maintain a tradition. I agree there's not too many private schools in rural areas, but there's not many 1A-3A publics in some of the urban areas either. It all points to a merit system.

well, I don't know about TC in the two other sports, but PC's football is a young program just finished up it's 10th year as a sport in the school, last 6 years under almost the same staff,(Rick Rice the first 5, then Bronson Bradey this last season, but he was an asst under Rice the whole time he was here) Improving every year. Coaching continuity, Baseball...well no comment lol