Shelbyville vs. Lexington Catholic

basketballfan2003

Aggressive girl plays for the home team she is tough, aggressive girl plays for the other team she is dirty.

I don't have a dog in this hunt..... However, I have seen Glory play from her young Arkansas (Nettleton) days to her past summer AAU. I have not seen her this high school season. In my opinion she is extremely aggressive, but I have not witnessed her being out right dirty. I think she is an awesome player and good young lady.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a dog in this hunt..... However, I have seen Glory play from her young Arkansas (Nettleton) days to her past summer AAU. I have not seen her this high school season. In my opinion she is extremely aggressive, but I have not witnessed her being out right dirty. I think she is an awesome player and good young lady.

I think you Elite are the one who needs to be specific. I believe a concussion to a certain player that was the result of an attempted undercut (dirty play) is the elbow you keep referring to. Just get over it. If you can play rough, then expect rough play to be returned. These players are young girls. If parents(coaches) don't get in the middle of it all the girls usually get past the heat of competition. I have watched Glory because my daughter has played against her. It stands to reason that if Glory is twice the size of another player and the play gets rough, then the smaller player is going to get the short end of the battle. ( my daughter has experienced this first hand) It is not fair to say a young player is dirty just because she is stronger. Be smart. If you can't take it ---don't dish it out!!!

I think you Elite are the one who needs to be specific. I believe a concussion to a certain player that was the result of an attempted undercut (dirty play) is the elbow you keep referring to. Just get over it. If you can play rough, then expect rough play to be returned. These players are young girls. If parents(coaches) don't get in the middle of it all the girls usually get past the heat of competition. I have watched Glory because my daughter has played against her. It stands to reason that if Glory is twice the size of another player and the play gets rough, then the smaller player is going to get the short end of the battle. ( my daughter has experienced this first hand) It is not fair to say a young player is dirty just because she is stronger. Be smart. If you can't take it ---don't dish it out!!!

I was very specific and will be so again. You insist on trying to think I have an agenda which I don't. I spoke up on this thread because of your comments and others regarding Glory and dirty play. I have been complimentary of her skills in every post and from what I have seen she is a fine person. I referred you specifically to 2 instances in the Shelbyville game. I have them on video and I don't need your confirmation to tell me what I saw. The incident you reference in AAU with an Elite team was another example. Your interpretation of it is interesting in that I have yet to hear anyone who saw it call it an attempted undercut. Glory went up for a rebound and swung her elbows at our player's head in mid-air. The result was indeed a concussion. I also saw her attempt to do the same thing against the Flight in AAU. Bottom line is if you are throwing elbows at peoples heads deliberately, it is dirty play. I would hope you would agree with that. The referees can decide it if they see it. I'll let you and the others determine who fits in this category since you insinuate it is not one sided, but I know what I have seen from Glory on several occasions, and my guess is if you have seen her as you say, then you have seen it. Hopefully, she will eliminate this tactic from her game. Didn't mean for this to be a debate, only sharing what I have seen.

Edited by elitebball

All these greeneville fans always blaming officials for losses...i was at the ladies classic for every game and the officiating was quite consistent both ways in every game. Did they miss some calls?...OF COURSE...but did the teams hit 100% of their shots? NO...every official is going to miss some fouls every game just as every player that shoots will miss shots...I think its time for people to stop blaming the officials for wins/losses and concentrate on their teams and what they can do to get better.

All these greeneville fans always blaming officials for losses...i was at the ladies classic for every game and the officiating was quite consistent both ways in every game. Did they miss some calls?...OF COURSE...but did the teams hit 100% of their shots? NO...every official is going to miss some fouls every game just as every player that shoots will miss shots...I think its time for people to stop blaming the officials for wins/losses and concentrate on their teams and what they can do to get better.

What greeneville fan is blaming the officials for a loss?

I don't believe anyone is blaming the refs, but there has been others (non greeneville fans) state the facts about the officiating during the classic. It was so inconsistent. Not just for Greeneville but for all!!! And I am sure that you are referring back to the Lexington Catholic game, if you go and watch a tape of that game you would agree about the officiating also. If you are going to call something on one end you must call it on the other. The officials were inconsistent throughout the whole tournament. If I recall greeneville only played in 4 games, and there was more than that played by other teams. Greeneville only lost two, on of them was a blowout by Wilson Central, the other was a close game to L.C. I don't recall anyone blaming the referrees for those losses. But like I said before if the kettle is black then you call it black. The referees were horrible throughout the whole classic. The IMAC teams are the ones that have to put up with this all year. I know that not all of the officials are bad, but when you have some make some bogus calls it just makes the rest look bad. Take for example the Archbishop Carrol game with greeneville. The officials did not pay attention to the game clock at the end of a quarter. There was 7.5 seconds left on the game clock. Greeneville inbounds the ball and goes the length of the court and take a shot. The clock does not start until the shot. Greeneville misses and Archbishop goes the length of the court and scores two points that they would not have been able to score if the officials were doing the basics. What happens if Greeneville loses this game by 2 points? Exactly nothing. The officials need to work on their "game" and do the basics. It might helpl them to go back to rec league and just call the basic stuff.

Have never heard of this gal named Glory before but my question is how she

got to Webb from Arkansas? Just wondering about the composition of DII teams.

I don't believe anyone is blaming the refs, but there has been others (non greeneville fans) state the facts about the officiating during the classic. It was so inconsistent. Not just for Greeneville but for all!!! And I am sure that you are referring back to the Lexington Catholic game, if you go and watch a tape of that game you would agree about the officiating also. If you are going to call something on one end you must call it on the other. The officials were inconsistent throughout the whole tournament. If I recall greeneville only played in 4 games, and there was more than that played by other teams. Greeneville only lost two, on of them was a blowout by Wilson Central, the other was a close game to L.C. I don't recall anyone blaming the referrees for those losses. But like I said before if the kettle is black then you call it black. The referees were horrible throughout the whole classic. The IMAC teams are the ones that have to put up with this all year. I know that not all of the officials are bad, but when you have some make some bogus calls it just makes the rest look bad. Take for example the Archbishop Carrol game with greeneville. The officials did not pay attention to the game clock at the end of a quarter. There was 7.5 seconds left on the game clock. Greeneville inbounds the ball and goes the length of the court and take a shot. The clock does not start until the shot. Greeneville misses and Archbishop goes the length of the court and scores two points that they would not have been able to score if the officials were doing the basics. What happens if Greeneville loses this game by 2 points? Exactly nothing. The officials need to work on their "game" and do the basics. It might helpl them to go back to rec league and just call the basic stuff.

First off to clarify, when I say greeneville fans I dont mean just greeneville high school. That included south greene and cd as well. And as far as my comments about greeneville fans blaming officialson this board, i wasnt necessarily referring to this thread, i have read comments that blame the officials in several threads. As far as the situation with the clock goes...The TSSAA doesnt pay someone to keep the clock, the schools get their own clock keeper. I dont know who was keeping the clock for that game, but the officials number 1 priority was to watch the players. What if one of the referees had looked up to see if the clock was running and when he did a player took a cheapshot on another girl? He wouldnt have seen it, but the coaches and fans would have and that would have caused even more problems. It is the schools respnsibility to get the scorekeepers and the officials job to make the calls and keep the floor under control.

Have never heard of this gal named Glory before but my question is how she

got to Webb from Arkansas? Just wondering about the composition of DII teams.

Her parents moved to Nashville sometime during her middle school years and I guess they felt Webb was the best choice for Glory.

Now, to add my 2 cents to the ongoing conversation regarding Glory...... I must say that I think it is absolutely ridiculous that adults would get on this message board and talk about this young lady this way. :lol: She is someone's child and I am sure if you were her parent you would not appreciate some of the comments that are being made about her. What exactly do you think it will accomplish by doing this? :o At the end of the day she is still a child, no matter how tall or aggressive she may be. She is definitely not the "monster" people are portraying her to be. Just think how she would feel if she were to come on this message board and read these remarks that are being made about her by adults. I definitely don't think it would build her self-confidence. Please think, before you post hurtful comments about these young ladies. :)

I have seen Glory play as well as others her size and they tend to play a little more aggressively because it gets really physical down low. Players are taught very early to chin the ball to prevent the defensive player from reaching in to take it away from them and every now and then, the defensive player catches one of those elbows. I am not saying that this is right, but the game of basketball has evolved from a noncontact sport of the old days to a much more aggressive contact sport. Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the subtopic of the original topic. :lol:

Her parents moved to Nashville sometime during her middle school years and I guess they felt Webb was the best choice for Glory.

Now, to add my 2 cents to the ongoing conversation regarding Glory...... I must say that I think it is absolutely ridiculous that adults would get on this message board and talk about this young lady this way. :) She is someone's child and I am sure if you were her parent you would not appreciate some of the comments that are being made about her. What exactly do you think it will accomplish by doing this? :lol: At the end of the day she is still a child, no matter how tall or aggressive she may be. She is definitely not the "monster" people are portraying her to be. Just think how she would feel if she were to come on this message board and read these remarks that are being made about her by adults. I definitely don't think it would build her self-confidence. Please think, before you post hurtful comments about these young ladies. :lol:

I have seen Glory play as well as others her size and they tend to play a little more aggressively because it gets really physical down low. Players are taught very early to chin the ball to prevent the defensive player from reaching in to take it away from them and every now and then, the defensive player catches one of those elbows. I am not saying that this is right, but the game of basketball has evolved from a noncontact sport of the old days to a much more aggressive contact sport. Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the subtopic of the original topic. :o

I've re-read all of the posts and I don't think anyone is trying to be hurtful in any way. I'm sure those who have been the recipients of elbows were hurting a lot more...lol. I see several threads on coacht that discuss the performances of various players both by name and in general in the state, and I'm sure any child who got on these boards would see things they agree and disagree with, just as we do. As an example, I recently saw a post of rankings in the Memphis area of teams, listing their strengths and weaknesses. I'm sure it is hurtful when girls see their team mentioned and see comments suggesting they have poor guard play or are weak in the post, when they may actually be those players. I have even seen your child discussed on here. Bottom line is no one that I have seen is crossing the line in this discussion. Glory is a superstar and it is natural to have her being discussed. You see fit to defend this young lady and that is fine. I was merely mentioning incidents I have seen first-hand, and the fact that I have seen it often indicates to me it is not accidental. Just my opinion, not an indictment on the young lady or labeliing her a monster....