DYER COUNTY

JO10

QUOTE(JO10 @ Jan 25 2007 - 01:44 PM) 826345619[/snapback]

TOTALLY agree with all of that. This post was just out of curiosity to see what everyone thinks about DC. And as an alumni myself, I think they have a good shot as well.

I was beginning to think you were the coach himself!

But..again..I don't think he's what turned the program around..I'm not saying he's not a good coach..But again..if yall think he's the reason that Dyer Co has turned the program around..I'd like to have seen him coach last years team without Justin and company!..Or better yet..Go to Northview and help his former student..He sure could use it!..Again..he may be a good coach..but I doubt very seriously if he could have gone to Northview and won any games..It's called talent..I know coaching helps...but he's not the reason that the program is turned around this year!

Turning a program around is a coach that comes into a school that hasn't won...doesn't have much coming back and slowly develops them into winners..Win and the students will start playing...Turning a program around isn't someone that had the luxury of having 3 or 4 studs move in from another school..Obion Central hasn't been winning the past few years either..Let Justin Blake, Dewon Taylor and Jeremy Kimble move to that school and play with Nick Gilliam..and I believe you would see different results there too!..But..then again..I guess it would be the new coach over there that turned the program around!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Jan 25 2007 - 01:56 PM) 826345635[/snapback]

But..again..I don't think he's what turned the program around..I'm not saying he's not a good coach..But again..if yall think he's the reason that Dyer Co has turned the program around..I'd like to have seen him coach last years team without Justin and company!..Or better yet..Go to Northview and help his former student..He sure could use it!..Again..he may be a good coach..but I doubt very seriously if he could have gone to Northview and won any games..It's called talent..I know coaching helps...but he's not the reason that the program is turned around this year!

Let me see her. I think this is either the second or third time i have said this, but i did not say he is the reason they are winning games. But i wish he would have coached last years team, and the year before that and the year before that. Nobody is talkin about Northview, that is Coach Becks area. He just needs to work on those younger kids to prepare them for high school. Back to Coach McCord, he may not of been the only one that turned this program around, but he has helped. Yes it does take talent, and no i am not sayin coach McCord is some holy savior that ZAPS talent into this years team. They are good because obviously they have practiced the game enough. They play as a team. They all use their talent together. I think they would still be a good team without blake and taylor. They may not be in first place in the district right now, but they would still be a good TALENT filled team.

Everyone knew last year when we heard that Justin Blake & Dejuan Taylor were coming to DC things were going to get better, new coach or not. The team did have talent last year but they were very young and inexperienced with the exception of Ledbetter. I think that Coach McCord did get a very talented team handed to him, but in my opinion the big difference in this year and last is that he lets the boys play. Just different coaching styles, and Coach McCord's just happens to mesh very well with this group of boys.

QUOTE(DC_54_14 @ Jan 25 2007 - 03:10 PM) 826345723[/snapback]

Everyone knew last year when we heard that Justin Blake & Dejuan Taylor were coming to DC things were going to get better, new coach or not. The team did have talent last year but they were very young and inexperienced with the exception of Ledbetter. I think that Coach McCord did get a very talented team handed to him, but in my opinion the big difference in this year and last is that he lets the boys play. Just different coaching styles, and Coach McCord's just happens to mesh very well with this group of boys.

You are exactly right.

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Jan 25 2007 - 01:56 PM) 826345635[/snapback]

Turning a program around is a coach that comes into a school that hasn't won...doesn't have much coming back and slowly develops them into winners..Win and the students will start playing...Turning a program around isn't someone that had the luxury of having 3 or 4 studs move in from another school..Obion Central hasn't been winning the past few years either..Let Justin Blake, Dewon Taylor and Jeremy Kimble move to that school and play with Nick Gilliam..and I believe you would see different results there too!..But..then again..I guess it would be the new coach over there that turned the program around!

One question. How many games did the Choctaws win this year before Blake, Taylor, and Hurst became eligible? Answer... more that the last two seasons combined. Let's give Coach some credit.

QUOTE(N2Choctaws @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:12 PM) 826345952[/snapback]

One question. How many games did the Choctaws win this year before Blake, Taylor, and Hurst became eligible? Answer... more that the last two seasons combined. Let's give Coach some credit.

Dyer Co. will IMHO make it to state and I believe WILL win the region...Justin Blake is incredible and CJ Crittendon can handle the ball well..DC has the most talent since they have all the players than any team I have seen this year and I've seen quite a bit of basketball played...GOOD LUCK TO DC!!!

Coach Froedden would have won with this group. Coach Hopkins would have won with this group. This program was down and Coach Froedden was a big part of those kids development. Blake and all the others were excited about getting to play for DC and there where some more kids coming that didnt because Coach Froedden left; He is now having success @ Sycamore with his best player hurt and he has been pretty much all year long. I've seen his team @ Sycamore and believe me this DC is way more talented than what he has got and he is winning there. Like MrBigster said talent helps and just like back in when DC went to state 2 yrs. the talent was their when I played, (94-98) we were a .500 club in the toughest AA district in the state, then in 99 they had a terrible year I think they won 2 games but when the talent came to DC the district slaked a little but not much and they ran through pretty much everybody in the area, Coach Hopkins was the coach through all of this. Coach McCord is doing a great job in 2 yrs unless something drastic happens the talent level will drop a bit, but there will be a few good kids there. I've coached almost all the freshman @ DC at some point in Jr. High either @ 3 oaks or Northview they have a bright future and after a 3-4 years is when you can judge how well a Coach is doing.

QUOTE(N2Choctaws @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:12 PM) 826345952[/snapback]

Nobody said he wasn't doing a good job..I just said he didn't turn the program around...Warm Machine played and coached there..Like he also said..Dyer Co was young last year...Now..about the question ..how many did they win before Blake and Co.became eligibile..They won several games..Would have probably finished behind Westview,Crockett Co.,Milan,Gibson Co..without them...about 5th in the district...Gibson Co and Crockett both beat them without Blake and Co..With them in the lineup..you saw the difference..They would have won some games..because Alexander ,Ledbetter,and C.J. are good players...but also because they are a year older....But like I said..and I was only answering to a couple posts that said he turned the program around...He didn't..Has he done a good job..Yes he has..But..Like I said...Ask any of the Central fans..and I know they're not on Central's team...but I guarantee if Justin,and all the other players were to have transferred to Central and playing with Nick Gilliam..I'd just about imagine they would be in that 1st place spot..

QUOTE(mrbigster @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:37 PM) 826346439[/snapback]

Nobody said he wasn't doing a good job..I just said he didn't turn the program around...Warm Machine played and coached there..Like he also said..Dyer Co was young last year...Now..about the question ..how many did they win before Blake and Co.became eligibile..They won several games..Would have probably finished behind Westview,Crockett Co.,Milan,Gibson Co..without them...about 5th in the district...Gibson Co and Crockett both beat them without Blake and Co..With them in the lineup..you saw the difference..They would have won some games..because Alexander ,Ledbetter,and C.J. are good players...but also because they are a year older....But like I said..and I was only answering to a couple posts that said he turned the program around...He didn't..Has he done a good job..Yes he has..But..Like I said...Ask any of the Central fans..and I know they're not on Central's team...but I guarantee if Justin,and all the other players were to have transferred to Central and playing with Nick Gilliam..I'd just about imagine they would be in that 1st place spot..

This post was not meant to be targeted on Coach McCord. Now I know no one is talking bad about him and that is a good thing. Back to what the post is about, why are we even talkin about "what if blake and taylor weren't here", it doesn't matter. They ARE here, they ARE playing for DC and i DON'T think they are going anywhere. So there is no use in even talking about, "what if they transferred to Central, or what the Central fans think. No body cares. This is about Dyer County and how far they can go.

You are correct!!! They are here at DC and loving it!!! I don't know what the problem was at Dyersburg and don't even care. I was told that coach Brown was showing favoritizm to one of the players. If that was the case, shame on him. He should have swollowed his pride and played the better players. I believe if these boys were playing at Dyersburg, they would be in first place. Coach McCord is very lucky to have this much talent on his team. I love the way coach McCord handles his players. He doesn't have to holler at them all night long, like some of the other coaches do. He uses hand signals to get the point across. His court savy is his strong point. He also uses his bench very well too. He has a very talented bench also. He has gotten alot more hussle out of theses boys than Froden did. When Froden was coaching theses boys they were out of control, they were a runaway train,waiting to crash. Coach McCord has realed theses boys in and made a very unselfish team out of them. This Coach and team has gelled at the right time. I have been sitting through some lean years at DC, and it's our time again to shine. " Go All the Way to the Boro, You have earned it.

Wow, it is amazing what a little winning does. Coach Froedden did an excellent job at DC preparing his YOUNG teams and developing their fundamentals. McCord walked into a great situation. Taking nothing away from him, but everyone needs to understand Froedden would be having the same success if he was at Dyer Co. The only player that would not be there would be Jeremy Kimble. By the way, where did he come from? Did he transfer from D-burg too? DC fans need to keep on talking however. You are giving Haywood, Fayette-Ware, Covington, Crockett Co, and Westview lots of motivation.