Official Thread: Miss Basketball

CoachT

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Jan 31 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826354107[/snapback]

can you tell me a little bit about the 3 candidates you listed in AAA please educate me on these 3 ladies

I'm sure all three young ladies are good but its difficult sometimes to rate players out of West Tennessee because of the teams they play may not be as strong overall as other parts of the State. West Tennessee seems to getting better but in preseason playdays against teams in other parts of the state, they may not have yet caught up bet the top tiered teams are good as everyone knows. The best i can say is that i have not seen the player from Bartlett but this may not be one of the teams that comes out of memphis so i am unsure.

Puello is a different case. Signee with Georgia. Explosive scorer but again would like to see game between East Tennessee teams and top tiered teams in Middle. middle teams have played each other so much and beaten each other up so much, it is really difficult to examine their play especially since the players play with each other so much in the summer. No doubt the players are good but the competition might be the only thing in question.

After seeing signees that have been signed, I'm really not sure what all of that means. It generally works out in the end but may not be quite as attractive in the beginning. The College game is not the same and most players have to work on their conditioning to be ready that has not been done to that point. RD, if you can imagine AML and TD both being Points in College you might see the difference but that is not what we are discussing here, its AAA Miss Basketball. If Aml makes it to state, she will be in contention. If not, she might not. If TD does and because of the make up of the team, she might not, her chances might be further out. As mentioned before, both are great players.

I'm very sure there will be other opinions.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jaj @ Feb 1 2007 - 02:56 AM) 826354167[/snapback]

Demeika Mitchell- (Riverside) 25.5 ppg and close to 100 steals or more on the season.

RIverside's # 10 Demieka Mitchell. Just a junior and I have never seen someone want the ball like that girl. Broke a school record this year with 41 points. She can handle the ball, she can play defense, she can score at will, she can do it all. Averaging 25.5 pt.s a game and over 100 steals and the seasons not over!

In AA girl's basketball, I believe that Mandy Mendenhall is hands down the best all-around player. She does exactly what is asked of her. If she is asked to lock down the opposing team's best player defensively - she does that. If she needs to keep her teammates involved - she does that. And if Harpeth is having troublr scoring and they need a basket, she can get one any time she wants. She has some of the most impressive offensive moves I have ever seen in girl's basketball and her on-the-ball defense has really caught up with her offensive skills this season. I don't know what more you could want from a player of the year than what Mendenhall gives.

AAA - Angela Puleo -- William Blount High School

Stats compiled up through 16 games (playing with a team that has been absolutely decimated with injuries):

25.6 points per game

4 assists per game

3 steals per game

5 rebounds per game

2 games +40 points (including 46 against Alcoa on Jan.5 to break her own single game scoring record)

* For those who question her against good competition ... she had 39 against Oak Ridge in a huge upset this past Tuesday night.

*To the best of our knowledge ... at least since records have been kept ... she's the all-time leading girl's scorer in Blount County basketball history. 2,400+ with several games remaining.

All Blount County: 2004,2005, 2006 (county MVP)

All District: 2004, 2005, 2006 (MVP)

All Region: 2005

Honorable Mention All state: 2004, 2005

First Team All State: 2006

Knox News Sentinal PrepExtra East Tennessee Player of the Year: 2006

Finalist for McDonald's All-America team

Nike Nationals "top 10" in 2006

Signed with Georgia ... 3.8 GPA with several honors level courses.

VERY DESERVING!!!

Miss Basketball should be the best player all around in the state in each division. She should be great at all fundamental parts of the game, be a leader on and off the floor, and be the best in the classroom. In single A, Kayla Hudson fits all of the above. Can the others listed on this thread say the same? Sure the others listed can score most nights, but scoring does not make you the best. She can take over a game when needed, just ask Collinwood. She has teammates that understand their role, and that's why their undefeated. Also look at who the listed players play and what each player does vs good teams. It is easy to score vs teams that are 0 and whatever, but what do they do vs teams that are good? Let's face it, most of the time the winner is not the one who fits all of the above. Politics is involved, coaches sending out flyers begging for votes, and a lot of votes going to the person who is averaging the most points. If things are done right, Kayla Hudson will be Miss Basketball in Single A.

QUOTE(CATS1 @ Feb 1 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826354477[/snapback]

Miss Basketball should be the best player all around in the state in each division. She should be great at all fundamental parts of the game, be a leader on and off the floor, and be the best in the classroom. In single A, Kayla Hudson fits all of the above. Can the others listed on this thread say the same? Sure the others listed can score most nights, but scoring does not make you the best. She can take over a game when needed, just ask Collinwood. She has teammates that understand their role, and that's why their undefeated. Also look at who the listed players play and what each player does vs good teams. It is easy to score vs teams that are 0 and whatever, but what do they do vs teams that are good? Let's face it, most of the time the winner is not the one who fits all of the above. Politics is involved, coaches sending out flyers begging for votes, and a lot of votes going to the person who is averaging the most points. If things are done right, Kayla Hudson will be Miss Basketball in Single A.

Could not have said it better.

QUOTE(CATS1 @ Feb 1 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826354477[/snapback]

Being able to score and being able to take over games would all also be part of my definition of Ms. Basketball. But basketball is a team sport. A true MVP makes their teammates better and sacrifices their own stats to get teammates involved. This allows teams to succeed when the superstar is having an off night. And they all have off nights. Ms. Hudson is a great player and may be the best overall player in the entire state of Tennessee. No one can deny that. And she may fit the criteria both you and I stated. But I know one young lady that positively does. She can score anytime she gets ready, she can take over games, she can shut down the other teams best player, and she gives up opportunities for herself to allow her teammates to succeed. Maybe Ms. Hudson does too, you can tell us that. But I know Rachel Glidden of Richland does all this also.

Good luck to Ms. Hudson. She deserves the recognition. I wish her well. Has she picked a college yet?????

I really do hope that both Gleason and Richland win their region and can get past substate. Then we can find out for sure who is the best in a head-to-head match-up. But the odds are probably against that happening. Too many other good teams out there. Just too bad the votes will already be in if it were to occur.

I agree with redbirdfan. Hudson makes the other players better. Can the other canidates say the same? That is why Gleason is undefeated, no jealous teammates, just hard working girls willing to do whatever for the sake of the team would be my guess. Hudson should win it hands down.