13 AA District

GHvolrebel

The referee, Joiner, the Milan Baseball Coach, had stopped and with a smile stood next to Coach Suitor a little earlier and seemed to be warning him to layoff as Coach Suitor was continuing to stand and yell at the referees over a call. A few minutes later during a timeout, Coach Suitor was standing outside the huddle and ranting toward another referee and after a short time of this Joiner ran over and warned Coach Suitor again, turned and started to jog back to his timeout position and when Coach Suitor kept yelling facing the floor and referees, Joiner turned back toward Coach Suitor and called the Technical. I would think that any objective person who witnessed the whole thing, not just parts of it, would think that Coach Suitor was trying to get a technical. We were impressed that Joiner warned him twice before finally calling the tech. He really was given no choice. What bugs me is to attack Joiner like he somehow was conspiring for OC to lose. That's ridiculous and a pretty serious and irresponsible charge to make.

There were some poor calls in the Dyersburg/Milan game but no more than most games. The Poston foul out call was poor but the referee had a bad angle and I have seen the same thing alot of times. Poston wasn't really doing alot anyway to tell you the truth. Dyersburg outplayed Milan most of the game and that's why they won.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fuquaismyhero @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:20 AM) 826375399[/snapback]

Suiter kept going on and on with one ref then he said something (I don't know what) and turned away abruptly. Whatever he said made another ref come over and warn him. Suiter ignored the warning and started on this other ref...the other ref then issued the technical.

Just wondering because in today's Messenger story on the game this is what was written.."The normally mild-mannered Suiter was hit with a technical foul by an official not even involved in a heated discussion between the coach and another of the referees at the 4:23 mark of the fourth quarter."

Okay- it's time for the REST of the SToRY the OC Coach and his assistant where very upset with one particular referee over some questionable calls and made their point known not only to him but to the other ref who came over as well.

The coach made his point to the refs and they heard him out and they walked away at the conclusion of the conversation and so did the coach... Okay - everybody still with me here?? He then ALREADY turned around and start talking with his team when a third ref came from THE OTHER END of the court and said that's enough to the coach who turned around said some heated things no doubt and was issued the technical foul. Now everyone can say the ref had a right to establish something by not letting the coach show up the other refs or whatever.

from My standpoint - the coach had made his point he wanted to make to the refs and it was over as he continued to talk with his team. I understand the other team

was told to cut out the jawing with the refs as well.. So next time you come to the gym- just pretend it's like a library and be quiet!

QUOTE(FloydPink @ Feb 17 2007 - 12:31 AM) 826375443[/snapback]

The referee, Joiner, the Milan Baseball Coach, had stopped and with a smile stood next to Coach Suitor a little earlier and seemed to be warning him to layoff as Coach Suitor was continuing to stand and yell at the referees over a call. A few minutes later during a timeout, Coach Suitor was standing outside the huddle and ranting toward another referee and after a short time of this Joiner ran over and warned Coach Suitor again, turned and started to jog back to his timeout position and when Coach Suitor kept yelling facing the floor and referees, Joiner turned back toward Coach Suitor and called the Technical. I would think that any objective person who witnessed the whole thing, not just parts of it, would think that Coach Suitor was trying to get a technical. We were impressed that Joiner warned him twice before finally calling the tech. He really was given no choice. What bugs me is to attack Joiner like he somehow was conspiring for OC to lose. That's ridiculous and a pretty serious and irresponsible charge to make.

There were some poor calls in the Dyersburg/Milan game but no more than most games. The Poston foul out call was poor but the referee had a bad angle and I have seen the same thing alot of times. Poston wasn't really doing alot anyway to tell you the truth. Dyersburg outplayed Milan most of the game and that's why they won.

I don't really think he was trying to get a technical called on him...They were down 49-40 in the fourth quarter.....Owens for Westview then scored 4 points off the tech to give Westview a 53-40 lead..You "try" to get a T early in the game to possibly sway calls later in the game....He must of really thought OC got called for a bad foul....

Thank you red birdfan, bithoc, and floydpink for your explanations. I still say that the ref from the other end should have just let things lie. I do believe that Joiner overall is a good referee but his body language and the way he went over to the OC huddle bothered me and showed he was intent on calling a technical and having the last word. A coach has the right and responsibility for standing up for his or her players.

QUOTE(GHvolrebel @ Feb 16 2007 - 11:49 PM) 826375521[/snapback]

Thank you red birdfan, bithoc, and floydpink for your explanations. I still say that the ref from the other end should have just let things lie. I do believe that Joiner overall is a good referee but his body language and the way he went over to the OC huddle bothered me and showed he was intent on calling a technical and having the last word. A coach has the right and responsibility for standing up for his or her players.

You tell 'em, GH!!!

QUOTE(bhhvols @ Feb 16 2007 - 11:00 PM) 826375558[/snapback]

You tell 'em, GH!!!

Hey, you finally are communicating tonight. Check out the "Dialogue with bhhvols" on the boys threads that I left you as I noticed some scores about McMinn teams. Probably on page two by now. Will probably and hopefully see you at the 'boro and I will bring my non-athletic brother.

First off, the refs DID not cost OC this game, a POOR shooting first quarter did. There were some VERY questionable calls in the game, and the technical on Coach Suitor did seem to be a big question. OC won quarters 2-4 by a score of I think 61-47, but that first quarter was too much to dig out of. As for the question of why OC did not change what they were doing early, ther was no need to. OC was getting good shots, 10 feet and in, they just rolled off. It was not anything in particular the Westview was doing, just the shots would not fall. OC had a chance, but Westview, like any good team will do, hit free throws down the stretch to seal it. So now, OC will take on Milan, tonight for 3rd in the district. The big thing about this game is to stay away from Jax NSIDE in the first round of the Regional. While either of these two I think can play with Northside, why not stay away from them if you can, as they are clearly the Best of that district.

Catch the game tonight on 104.9 KYTN

GO LADY REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the strategy to get to the finals at the 'Boro. (if I have my order correct.)

I. District consolation game.

a. Play hard all four quarters which can be done.

b. Win the consolation game and get your momentum back.

c. You travel to Fayette Ware.

II. 1st Round of the Regional

a. Win or go home for the year.

b. You play a good game at Fayette Ware and win if rankings mean anything.

c. You have momentum now and get to play at Gibson Co.

III. 2nd Round of Regionals

a. You play hard all four quarters.

b. You win regardless of the opponent because you do well in the gym at

Gibson Co.

c. THis game is very important because it may decide the winner of the

state tournament.

IV. Regional Finals

a. This will again be a great game between two highly ranked teams.

b. You need to be on your A-game and win this one.

c. You are now in the driver's seat and get to host the Sub-State at your

place.

V. Sub-State at Home

a. Winner advances to state.

b. You and your fellow distirct team are now in the driver's seat to win the

State.

VI. State Tournament

a. Win 1st Round

b. Win 2nd Round

c. Win 3rd Round and You Are The Champions

d. Relax - for you have earned it. You have survived the hardest district in

the state this year.

The team that I am talking about. Go OC Lady Rebels.

QUOTE(GHvolrebel @ Feb 17 2007 - 06:38 AM) 826375755[/snapback]

Here's the strategy to get to the finals at the 'Boro. (if I have my order correct.)

I. District consolation game.

a. Play hard all four quarters which can be done.

b. Win the consolation game and get your momentum back.

c. You travel to Fayette Ware.

II. 1st Round of the Regional

a. Win or go home for the year.

b. You play a good game at Fayette Ware and win if rankings mean anything.

c. You have momentum now and get to play at Gibson Co.

III. 2nd Round of Regionals

a. You play hard all four quarters.

b. You win regardless of the opponent because you do well in the gym at

Gibson Co.

c. THis game is very important because it may decide the winner of the

state tournament.

IV. Regional Finals

a. This will again be a great game between two highly ranked teams.

b. You need to be on your A-game and win this one.

c. You are now in the driver's seat and get to host the Sub-State at your

place.

V. Sub-State at Home

a. Winner advances to state.

b. You and your fellow distirct team are now in the driver's seat to win the

State.

VI. State Tournament

a. Win 1st Round

b. Win 2nd Round

c. Win 3rd Round and You Are The Champions

d. Relax - for you have earned it. You have survived the hardest district in

the state this year.

The team that I am talking about. Go OC Lady Rebels.

I love that scenario if you just put Milan in the OC spot and then OC goes and knocks off Northside.

QUOTE(FloydPink @ Feb 16 2007 - 10:31 PM) 826375443[/snapback]

I agree with you FloydPink. Any rational, unbiased basketball fan who could watch a replay of the event in question would come to only one conclusion. Coach Suiter deserved the technical. He deserved it at least one full minute before he got it. I think Suiter is a very good, underappreciated coach but in this case he got what he deserved. As to whether or not he wanted the "T", to me it appeared he was begging for it. Any attempt to question the referee in this case just shows bias. A quick point about the ref Joyner. He is one of the best referees in this area. He is a coach himself. He has years of experience questioning calls with umpires so you can bet he knows where the line is. Suiter was given plenty of time to express his rage, but he finally crossed the line. If Joyner gives you a "T" you can bet you earned it!