8-AAA

ctownboy

QUOTE(420trap @ Mar 1 2007 - 09:25 PM)Coffee Co. did it in 1977

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Mar 1 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826396353[/snapback]Who was in the district in 1977? The current 8AAA district in baseball started in 1979. Prior to that, Columbia Central was in a district with the Nashville teams plus Franklin.

Franklin County won the district in 1977. They lost a heartbreaker in regional final to eventual state champion Soddy Daisy. I think final score was 2-1. Soddy trounced everyone they played from that point on. That was Don Rhoton's second or third FC team, and was one of his better. Very fast team that played great defense, hit for average and ran the bases like crazy.

Teams in the district at that time: Franklin County, Tullahoma, Oakland, Riverdale, Shelbyville, Coffee County, Smyrna, & possibly Warren County. Not positive about Warren County, but I think thats right. Been a long time ago.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greenwheel @ Mar 29 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826426147[/snapback]Lincoln Co beat Columbia, tonight, 2-1.

This was another great game between, by far, the two best teams in the district this year. Chris Lovett of Columbia had a no - hitter going into the 6th. Lincoln scrathed a ruun out in the 6th and one in the 7th to win 2 - 1. Columbia had runners on first and second with their 2 hole hitter at the plate at the end of the game. He hit a deep fly ball down the left field line to end it. It was a great game.

QUOTE(columbiaguy @ Mar 30 2007 - 09:05 AM) 826426398[/snapback]This was another great game between, by far, the two best teams in the district this year. Chris Lovett of Columbia had a no - hitter going into the 6th. Lincoln scrathed a ruun out in the 6th and one in the 7th to win 2 - 1. Columbia had runners on first and second with their 2 hole hitter at the plate at the end of the game. He hit a deep fly ball down the left field line to end it. It was a great game.

I'll second that last sentence. Two in a row that went down to the last out. Wouldn't be surprised if these two see each other again down the road. Lincoln County now gets to play Bartlett, Collierville, and Oakland before we load up for another round of district play. I guess if we don't sweep the "what's wrong with Lincoln County" questions will pop up again. I'll answer ahead of time . . . nothing. They have a group that enjoys each other and the game overall. They've lost only to quality teams so far this year. Split with Columbia in two of the most even, exciting, and for the most part well played high school games you will see. To me, that's what it's about. Enjoyed the Columbia series and now we've got Coffee County next week, tied with the Falcons at 3-1 in the district I believe. Keep on enjoying an interesting 8AAA season!

QUOTE(Warhawk1 @ Mar 30 2007 - 10:08 AM) 826426465[/snapback]I'll second that last sentence. Two in a row that went down to the last out. Wouldn't be surprised if these two see each other again down the road. Lincoln County now gets to play Bartlett, Collierville, and Oakland before we load up for another round of district play. I guess if we don't sweep the "what's wrong with Lincoln County" questions will pop up again. I'll answer ahead of time . . . nothing. They have a group that enjoys each other and the game overall. They've lost only to quality teams so far this year. Split with Columbia in two of the most even, exciting, and for the most part well played high school games you will see. To me, that's what it's about. Enjoyed the Columbia series and now we've got Coffee County next week, tied with the Falcons at 3-1 in the district I believe. Keep on enjoying an interesting 8AAA season!

Was at the game also. Lovett pitched a heck of a game; no hitter till the top of the 6th with 2 outs and LC CF got a hit. Columbia`s cf took 2 LC hits away with 2 awesome plays. Columbia had their chances but couldn`t get the hits when they needed. 2 evenly matched teams. I was impressed with how Lovett hit his spots; good pitcher.Both teams will probally meet again come district tourney time.I heard a LC fan say that was the first game of the year they haven`t out hit the other team. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

QUOTE(ozzie smith @ Mar 30 2007 - 12:03 PM) 826426563[/snapback]Was at the game also. Lovett pitched a heck of a game; no hitter till the top of the 6th with 2 outs and LC CF got a hit. Columbia`s cf took 2 LC hits away with 2 awesome plays. Columbia had their chances but couldn`t get the hits when they needed. 2 evenly matched teams. I was impressed with how Lovett hit his spots; good pitcher.Both teams will probally meet again come district tourney time.I heard a LC fan say that was the first game of the year they haven`t out hit the other team. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

good win