Class A State Championship

OS91

QUOTE(Hater_Nation_Rules @ Mar 13 2007 - 10:16 PM) 826410960[/snapback]I agree that people need not to bash Coach Frazier. I don't think he is the best coach, in basketball, in Tennessee but he does run a good clean program and has excelled at the high school level. All of the teams in the tourney this year had class, I wish all of their fans could too...but that'll never happen. Congrats to Gleason and Frazier for a job well done. I can't believe that Hudson didn't recruited by some bigger D1 schools. Any insight from anyone, she is an awesome player!

I have been around Kayla when she did get phone calls on her cell phone from D-1 schools so she did get offers but like other people have said on this website, Union is closer to home and she will hardly ever lose and will play in front of a packed gym every night in stead of a half empty D-1 gym gettin beat by 30.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm going to say is if Gleason wants to play GUTLESS 1920's "Stall Ball" to win a championship, then they can have the state title as far as I'm concerned. The only good thing that can come out of this is that next year the TSSAA hopefully uses a shot clock for the state tournament games. That's the only opinion I have on the game.

That said, I hope the Lady 'Cats keep their heads up because they had a heck of a season and all of Roane Co. is proud of them. They may not have got the gold ball, but they're still champions to the people in this area.

QUOTE(RCSportsStringer @ Mar 14 2007 - 02:38 PM) 826411700[/snapback]All I'm going to say is if Gleason wants to play GUTLESS 1920's "Stall Ball" to win a championship, then they can have the state title as far as I'm concerned. The only good thing that can come out of this is that next year the TSSAA hopefully uses a shot clock for the state tournament games. That's the only opinion I have on the game.

That said, I hope the Lady 'Cats keep their heads up because they had a heck of a season and all of Roane Co. is proud of them. They may not have got the gold ball, but they're still champions to the people in this area.

What is your name? If your so outraged, then you should have the guts to tell your name. I guess your gutless then...........

I think what most people will remember is that a few parents and/or relatives acted like complete classless fools after their defeat. Instead of rejoicing in your State Tournament runner-up position,

you have embarrassed an entire community and most of East Tennessee. OS will probably return to the state next year and probably would have been a crowd favorite. I dread if you make it to the state in 2008 now because the crowd will be against you every time OS is on the floor. I hope the girls realize that you and your fellow sore losers don't speak for most of OS.

Gutless, classless and clueless.

I will admit that some OS fans haven't been gracious in defeat. But you have to admit that losing to a team that basically quits trying to score is frustrating. I have said that I don't like the "stall ball" tactic because I'd rather have my team put a team away by going forthe juglar (sp?) than sit back and let the clock tick. I think that most fans, not just OS fans, would rather see a team attack than stall.

However, I'll still say that Gleason is a great team and it's always good to see a team without a lot of size do what most people feel they cannot do. Gleason's players appeared to be good kids that weren't cocky and knew how to act. That's a sign of good coaching and parenting.

Ok goose you seem to have some sense so answer a couple questions for me. A lot of people from OS keep complaining that we held it the whole game which is not the case. The first half was played normally all seem to agree with Gleason having the lead. At the end of the third quarter the lead changed hands a couple of times but at the end of 3 quarters Gleason was still winning 26-24. The only reason the score was this low was because poor shooting by both teams as both Gleason and OS shot 30% from the field in the first half. We didn't "stall" through 3 quarters just neither team could make a shot but Gleason was winning at this point anyways. With about 6 mins left in the game OS had ONE foul called on them at this point and Gleason now had a 4 point lead. Do you know what defense OS was playing at this point in the game? I do, a zone! What would any half way decently coached team do with a 4 point lead, the ball in the 4th quarter of the State Championship game? Pull the ball out and force OS to gaurd them man. What would you expect the Gleason girls to do? Jack up threes against the zone since they obviously weren't having their normal shooting night and were 5-14 for the game...of course you wouldn't. At this point OS started fouling as 5 fouls were called between the 5:30 mark and the 4:00 minute mark. OS didn't have to start doing this, they could have extended their defense and made Gleason run an offense but they chose not too. (because their coach is smarter than their fans and she realized all this would do was wear her team down by making them chase Gleason's Princeton offense) Gleason made their free throws and took care of the ball and are deservingly the State Champs because they proved they were the best team in the state by winning 3 games at the Boro by 63 points! Surely goose, if you do have some basketball sense, can admit Gleason played the game and 4th quarter the way any well coached team should have. The argument some of your fellow OS fans make is kind of ridiculous "Gleason stalled it, they should have jacked it up with a lead against our lazy zone so our girls could have had a chance too!" Get out of that zone and guard somebody!

They spread the court at the beginning of the fourth quarter and that's when Hudson got loose and drove the lane for a lay up. And yes OS did extend their defense (switching to man with No. 24 Hall guarding Hudson a lot) and tried like heck to force a turnover. That's when the fouls came when they were being aggressive trying to force a turnover. If you'll look back I've said time and time again that Gleason's ball handling was so good that OS couldn't force a turnover. Heck for the most part they couldn't get it out of Hudson's hands. That was basically the key because most teams can't hold the ball for that long without turning it over. I think you'll agree that a lot of people have said OS should've came out and stole the ball to stop the stall. It's not like they didn't try, Gleason just wouldn't cooperate.

I also never said Gleason needed to jack a lot of threes. Gleason's ball handling is so good that they could have looked to score against any defense, man or zone, and they weren't going to turn the ball over. I personally didn't think they needed to change anything they had been doing for three quarters to be succesful. They're a great team.

Again, I haven't said and I will not say that Gleason didn't earn the Gold Ball. All I've ever said is that I don't think a team should stall the ball for an entire quarter. Especially a team as talented as Gleason. The funny thing is neither team shot the ball well so the game might have played out the same way. It would have been close with Gleason pulling away at the charity stripe at the end.

I'm actually going to try to quit posting on this game now. I congratulate the Lady Bulldogs on a great season and I also congratulate OS on a great season. Somewhere in all this mess everyone is forgetting that both teams are well-coached and they played their hearts out.

I very much agree with the end of your post! I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think a coach with a lead in the 4th quarter that knows the other team can't take it from his team, and that his point guard is shooting over 95% from the free throw line, tells his team to attack the basket and score even though they have a lead should lose his/her job. OS had 26 minutes to outscore Gleason and didn't! We had a 4 point lead with 6 minutes to play and our players and fans knew it was over! I understand your fans not understanding this concept because they are used to watching OS play and know that there team had only one starter shoot over 70% from the line for the year (Christopher at 74%) and they turned it over a lot in each game I saw at the Boro, so they had no idea that if a team would work hard enough in the off season on fundamentals and free throw shooting that their team also could end games at any point in the 4th quarter with a lead!

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:34 PM) 826412343[/snapback]They spread the court at the beginning of the fourth quarter and that's when Hudson got loose and drove the lane for a lay up. And yes OS did extend their defense (switching to man with No. 24 Hall guarding Hudson a lot) and tried like heck to force a turnover. That's when the fouls came when they were being aggressive trying to force a turnover. If you'll look back I've said time and time again that Gleason's ball handling was so good that OS couldn't force a turnover. Heck for the most part they couldn't get it out of Hudson's hands. That was basically the key because most teams can't hold the ball for that long without turning it over. I think you'll agree that a lot of people have said OS should've came out and stole the ball to stop the stall. It's not like they didn't try, Gleason just wouldn't cooperate.

I also never said Gleason needed to jack a lot of threes. Gleason's ball handling is so good that they could have looked to score against any defense, man or zone, and they weren't going to turn the ball over. I personally didn't think they needed to change anything they had been doing for three quarters to be succesful. They're a great team.

Again, I haven't said and I will not say that Gleason didn't earn the Gold Ball. All I've ever said is that I don't think a team should stall the ball for an entire quarter. Especially a team as talented as Gleason. The funny thing is neither team shot the ball well so the game might have played out the same way. It would have been close with Gleason pulling away at the charity stripe at the end.

I'm actually going to try to quit posting on this game now. I congratulate the Lady Bulldogs on a great season and I also congratulate OS on a great season. Somewhere in all this mess everyone is forgetting that both teams are well-coached and they played their hearts out.

Be careful voicing an opinion..lol..if its' not exact you will get a reply from this one. I too, say congrats to both teams, you both played hard and had great seasons!! Peace

QUOTE(10teamdistrictisajoke @ Mar 14 2007 - 09:43 PM) 826412376[/snapback]I very much agree with the end of your post! I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I think a coach with a lead in the 4th quarter that knows the other team can't take it from his team, and that his point guard is shooting over 95% from the free throw line, tells his team to attack the basket and score even though they have a lead should lose his/her job. OS had 26 minutes to outscore Gleason and didn't! We had a 4 point lead with 6 minutes to play and our players and fans knew it was over! I understand your fans not understanding this concept because they are used to watching OS play and know that there team had only one starter shoot over 70% from the line for the year (Christopher at 74%) and they turned it over a lot in each game I saw at the Boro, so they had no idea that if a team would work hard enough in the off season on fundamentals and free throw shooting that their team also could end games at any point in the 4th quarter with a lead!

I lied I'll post once more. I'll admit the strategy was sound and it worked. Gleason's coach is a great coach.

But at any level, jr. pro, middle school, high school, college (with or without a shot clock) I want a coach that tells his/her kids to go get 'em or like in Remember the Titans "Leave No Doubt". That's just what I believe in.

QUOTE(goosevol @ Mar 14 2007 - 10:57 PM) 826412403[/snapback]I lied I'll post once more. I'll admit the strategy was sound and it worked. Gleason's coach is a great coach.

But at any level, jr. pro, middle school, high school, college (with or without a shot clock) I want a coach that tells his/her kids to go get 'em or like in Remember the Titans "Leave No Doubt". That's just what I believe in.

Finally, Oliver Springs stock just went up a little in my book due to the classy posts from goosevol. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Best of luck down the road to you and OS. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(3153 @ Mar 14 2007 - 10:10 PM) 826412423[/snapback]Finally, Oliver Springs stock just went up a little in my book due to the classy posts from goosevol. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Best of luck down the road to you and OS. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thank You. I honestly doubt any OS fans want to disrespect the players from Gleason because they are a classy team. This has basically been a debate (or name-calling contest) about how the game should be played. Maybe OS and Gleason can hook up next year and OS can take a lead into the final six minutes of play.