Dobyns-Bennett Football

DBTeepee

There has been some discussion regarding this team's ability to throw the football - and past team's ability to do same.

I would like to begin a philosophical discussion regarding this coaching staff's love for throwing the football. For whatever reason Clark seems to have become enamored w/ the passing game.

At several points over the last few years including games during Duran's tenure and Bo's, time the passing game was ineffective. The Karns loss stands out in this category. The Karns fan still wonder why we didn't try running the football. Other games in which the offense struggled were a couple of the Jeff Co. games. We won those games, but they were closer than they should have been.

IMO, DB needs to get back to running the ball and to fully develop the running game. At some point in either the rain or cold, the passing game will (again) fail the Tribe. I still dont understand why DB didn't use Martchez Barnes more last year.

At some point you have to be able to beat the ball down the opposition's throat. Just ask Elway or Marino.

I would like to hear other Tribe fans thoughts on offensive philosophy.

Any thoughts on what the offensive philosophy for this current edition of the Indians will be?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the same way as you a number of times last season. There are basically two offensive schools of thought. You either run the ball to set up the pass or you pass the ball to set up the run. Both can work equally well if you keep your opponent off balance. The key is to know your opponents weakness. If they are poor at defending the pass, then that's where you attack them. If they are weak at defending the running game, then you attack them at the line of scrimmage. That's why it's important to scout your opponents before you play. Know your opponent's weaknesses and then exploit that weakness. It's the same strategy that has been used sucessfully countless time in military history.

There has been some discussion regarding this team's ability to throw the football - and past team's ability to do same.

I would like to begin a philosophical discussion regarding this coaching staff's love for throwing the football. For whatever reason Clark seems to have become enamored w/ the passing game.

At several points over the last few years including games during Duran's tenure and Bo's, time the passing game was ineffective. The Karns loss stands out in this category. The Karns fan still wonder why we didn't try running the football. Other games in which the offense struggled were a couple of the Jeff Co. games. We won those games, but they were closer than they should have been.

IMO, DB needs to get back to running the ball and to fully develop the running game. At some point in either the rain or cold, the passing game will (again) fail the Tribe. I still dont understand why DB didn't use Martchez Barnes more last year.

At some point you have to be able to beat the ball down the opposition's throat. Just ask Elway or Marino.

Any thoughts on what the offensive philosophy for this current edition of the Indians will be?

Wouldn't Elway or Marino want to throw the ball all over the field every play?

DB should just line up and run the ball all night. You can judge the balance of the offense by how many times they run LEFT v RIGHT.

A strong running game gives you a chance to have a better passing game! D-B has had talented QB's the past three seasons but due to such an inconsistent running game they have lost several games and kept a few teams in games because they were ineffective on the ground! D-B has had excellent talent at running back, fullback and offensive line but as much as the aerial attack has helped us, the lack of ball control and keeping the defense balanced has bitten them several times. I'm an old school three yards and a cloud of dust smack ya in your mouth lineman and always thought that passing the ball has three results of which two are not good, most of the time.

Roll Tribe!

Oh ya…well some of us are taking steps to improve the level of competitiveness with the rest of the state. But I can assure you that continuing to schedule 2A teams when you play in a 4A conference is not going to get you there. (hint, hint)

I have to completely agree with you Cap. Scheduling 2A teams is not going to improve a program at all. All it does is get a coach a W.

A strong running game gives you a chance to have a better passing game! D-B has had talented QB's the past three seasons but due to such an inconsistent running game they have lost several games and kept a few teams in games because they were ineffective on the ground! D-B has had excellent talent at running back, fullback and offensive line but as much as the aerial attack has helped us, the lack of ball control and keeping the defense balanced has bitten them several times. I'm an old school three yards and a cloud of dust smack ya in your mouth lineman and always thought that passing the ball has three results of which two are not good, most of the time.

Roll Tribe!

Not to mention the fact that when you throw the ball as much as DB does the other teams defence is not on the field as long, thus giving them fresher legs in the forth quarter. It takes more energy to defend the run than it does to defend the pass, and it takes more energy to play defence than it does offence, period. I think 60-70% running plays in high school is a good bet. I don't expect Graham to slack off on passing though. He's to stuburn to change. I think he hates running backs.

OK, my 1st post in 3yrs. and im probably gonna open a huge can of worms on this 1. 1st off I have great respect for all the coaches at D-B. I think there is no better head coach in Tn. than the G man, but I think he needs an offensive coordinator. There have been numerous questionable calls especially during the playoffs( in the past 7 years anyway) that makes me wonder if he has too many decisions to make all at once during the game. Like I said not trying to stir up trouble. What does anyone else think?

Being that i have played for G man i couldnt agree with you more, i think that DB has needed a off. coordinator for years. The perfect coach to do it that knows the offense as good as anybody is Rodney Burton, now i dont know if he would want to do that but i know he def. could do it better than Graham has been doing.

plowboy2,

You stated that without the receivers you listed (again, one incorrectly listed) Burton "wouldn't have completed half his passes...they made him look good"...that would be running down a player...that is a slam...that is a derogatory comment and is not needed...and it is far from true...Bo had real good receivers in Sensabaugh and Throp, but he was an outstanding QB (all three made first team All Big East and All NET, so others saw their level of skill)...

and hey, thanks for the "Mr.", I appreciate the respect.

I do agree with you that this D-B team may surprise some people...kind of like the basketball team, year before last everyone said they would be the worst D-B team ever and they weren't...this year's bunch hasn't even put pads on yet, we all should be patient...there are good athletes and good kids on this team, who only lack experience...

Roll Tribe Roll

This years group will have to play as a team vs a lot of "me's" on last year's team. That may big the biggest advantage this team has over prior years. just like the VOLS, they seem to their best when everybody has counted them out. maybe the Tribe needs a checker board endzone?

This years group will have to play as a team vs a lot of "me's" on last year's team. That may big the biggest advantage this team has over prior years. just like the VOLS, they seem to their best when everybody has counted them out. maybe the Tribe needs a checker board endzone?

There were no "me's" on last year's team...it was talked about for years and all last year the level of teamwork, the love, and respect between the players in and amongst last year's senior class...so go watch something else, on this one you know not of what you speak...and they have had a checkerboard endzone...Lee does a great job with that

I will agree that maybe this year's bunch will rally around the fact that they are maybe not forecast to win the conference aka the basketball team two year's ago.

Roll Tribe Roll

There were no "me's" on last year's team...it was talked about for years and all last year the level of teamwork, the love, and respect between the players in and amongst last year's senior class...so go watch something else, on this one you know not of what you speak...and they have had a checkerboard endzone...Lee does a great job with that

I will agree that maybe this year's bunch will rally around the fact that they are maybe not forecast to win the conference aka the basketball team two year's ago.

Roll Tribe Roll

It truly was a great senior class. They desirved so much more than a first round exit.