Maryville AAA State Champions!

Rebel96

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the Boro. Me,The Insider and my brother had a great time watching Maryville win the 3A Basketball championship. I am stunned. I never thought Maryville would ever win a state title in basketball.Watching the State Tourney all these years all I saw was dominant teams from the Memphis area. I guess I always thought the Ridgeways,White Stations and the Hamiltons of the world won State Titles in 3A.

There was no worldbeater team this year. Any of the 8 3A teams could have won the title. Maryville played extremely well. They played great defense. Aaron Douglas is a beast. No one in the tournament could handle him. Tyler Maples played great defense on the other teams best player. Maples is a winner. He is very competitive. Jordon Damron is a very good guard. He came up huge last night. Kent Basile played well in the tournament. Wes Lambert played great defense on Clarksville's top shooter. He hit some big shots. Sophomores Ryan Click and Jay Reynolds stepped up big. Clicks shot to win the game will be remembered by every Maryville fan forever. Mark Eldridge did a great job coaching this team. He kept the team calm in pressure situations. My nephew coached at Anderson County in 2005. He thinks highly of Eldridge. He says Eldridge has the same demeaner as George Quarles. After the game Quarles hugged Eldridge.

Tyler Maples,Derek Hunt and Aaron Douglas will have 4 rings now.

Another thing that made the night special was former Maryville coaches Lynn Brown and Ted Wilson being inducted into the TSSAA Hall of Fame. Those guys coached me and my brothers at Maryville. They were class acts.

A Clarksville fan asked me how Maryville lost 7 games. I told him that Maryville plays tough teams. Powell,Bearden,Farragut and Oak Ridge were very good teams. I told him that it took Douglas and Maples time to get used to basketball after a long football season.

Maryville basketball has come a long way. When I was in high school Maryville was terrible in basketball. Maryville was 2-25 my junior year.5-22 my senior year. Rockwood,Kingston,Midway and many other schools used to beat Maryville. Rule,Holston and South Young are schools that no longer exist. They used to be in Maryville's region. Maryville always got killed by those teams. I will never forget my senior year watching Rule beat Maryville at Maryville 93-40. That was embarrasing. Rodney Nelson deserves credit for upgrading Maryville basketball. He brought in the youth league system they have now. The Biddy leagues.

I am extremely overjoyed right now. All that I need for this basketball weekend to be complete would be for UT to make the Sweet 16. Me and the Insider stopped at TOOTS in Cookeville and watched the UT/Long Beach game.

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 18 2007 - 02:37 AM) 826416046[/snapback]Just got back from the Boro. Me,The Insider and my brother had a great time watching Maryville win the 3A Basketball championship. I am stunned. I never thought Maryville would ever win a state title in basketball.Watching the State Tourney all these years all I saw was dominant teams from the Memphis area. I guess I always thought the Ridgeways,White Stations and the Hamiltons of the world won State Titles in 3A.

There was no worldbeater team this year. Any of the 8 3A teams could have won the title. Maryville played extremely well. They played great defense. Aaron Douglas is a beast. No one in the tournament could handle him. Tyler Maples played great defense on the other teams best player. Maples is a winner. He is very competitive. Jordon Damron is a very good guard. He came up huge last night. Kent Basile played well in the tournament. Wes Lambert played great defense on Clarksville's top shooter. He hit some big shots. Sophomores Ryan Click and Jay Reynolds stepped up big. Clicks shot to win the game will be remembered by every Maryville fan forever. Mark Eldridge did a great job coaching this team. He kept the team calm in pressure situations. My nephew coached at Anderson County in 2005. He thinks highly of Eldridge. He says Eldridge has the same demeaner as George Quarles. After the game Quarles hugged Eldridge.

Another thing that made the night special was former Maryville coaches Lynn Brown and Ted Wilson being inducted into the TSSAA Hall of Fame. Those guys coached me and my brothers at Maryville. They were class acts.

A Clarksville fan asked me how Maryville lost 7 games. I told him that Maryville plays tough teams. Powell,Bearden,Farragut and Oak Ridge were very good teams. I told him that it took Douglas and Maples time to get used to basketball after a long football season.

Maryville basketball has come a long way. When I was in high school Maryville was terrible in basketball. Maryville was 2-25 my junior year.5-22 my senior year. Rockwood,Kingston,Midway and many other schools used to beat Maryville. Rule,Holston and South Young are schools that no longer exist. They used to be in Maryville's region. Maryville always got killed by those teams. I will never forget my senior year watching Rule beat Maryville at Maryville 93-40. That was embarrasing. Rodney Nelson deserves credit for upgrading Maryville basketball. He brought in the youth league system they have now. The Biddy leagues.

I am extremely overjoyed right now. All that I need for this basketball weekend to be complete would be for UT to make the Sweet 16. Me and the Insider stopped at TOOTS in Cookeville and watched the UT/Long Beach game.

Congrats. yall deserve it. #2 is a lockdown defender and #5 is clutch!

I'm glad to see a bunch of white boys take state in Basketball. LOL. As a CHS grad I felt bad for the Cats. Not just because they lost but more for why they los.t Clarksville High played more minutes in the tourney (116 minutes!) than any other in state tourney history. Plus one of their best players has been playing sick. They looked like they were sleep walking the first half and through most of the third quarter. They weren't driving to the basketball weren't playing defense. I don't think it's amazing that they came back. It just proves how much adrenaline can help. But it wasn't enough. I'd love to see a state tourney that has a break between the semi finals and the final game. I'm pretty sure CHS would have taken it to Maryville in that case. I hate to say it but I believe the state championship was really Clarksville vs. Oakland. Maryville was able to do many things offensively that CHS normally could have held in check had they not but running on fumes. The 3-point shooting God, the blonde headed kid, would not have been aloud to get open that many times. I think the most important thing to remember, despite my thoughts that CHS is the better team, is that Maryville was good enough to take advantage of a whipped team. It was evident that they planned on taking advantage of them because they came out with such flare in the first few minutes. They were able to exploit CHS in the end and that's why they totally deserves the State Championship Trophy. My parents moved to Maryville years ago and I occasionally visit and watch the football team. I came close to moving there with them but decided to stay in Clarksville for job reasons. So it was pretty strange watching the Rebs and Cats play for the title. Very strange.

QUOTE(REBELRON @ Mar 18 2007 - 04:37 AM) 826416046[/snapback]Just got back from the Boro. Me,The Insider and my brother had a great time watching Maryville win the 3A Basketball championship. I am stunned. I never thought Maryville would ever win a state title in basketball.Watching the State Tourney all these years all I saw was dominant teams from the Memphis area. I guess I always thought the Ridgeways,White Stations and the Hamiltons of the world won State Titles in 3A.

RebRon, You Sir are the class of the board I wish I could have said that. I have been sick and could not get there this weekend but the ole' big screen came through again. When Maryville in bounded the ball, under CV goal with 3.1 to go during the second overtime, I thought my heart was going to stop. Then Clicks shot!!!! Agree with others that shot will be forever etched in MHS Sports Histroy! God Bless all and go UT! Congratz Coach E and welcome home!

QUOTE(Rebelsfan @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:31 PM) 826416230[/snapback]It was some dude from Raleigh -Egypt or something like that.

so it was a guy from a team that didn't even make playoffs...yeah thats an MVP /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> i do think a lot of players would have qualified if that were the case starting w/ some from riverdale that had a great year but yeah those teams last night had some pretty good stand outs & so does oakland /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />