Postseason Split

CoachT

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of these 4A schools play any privates in the playoffs, right?

Isn't there a separate problem that Lawrence County, Shelbyville, and Tullahoma have

that has nothing to do with the private issue? This is not a statewide problem is it?

Let me pick Lawrence County (currently 4A) and see how I would ideally put it together.

(1) Before playoffs and classes, LCHS played in the CTC (Central Tennessee Conference). That could be revived if most or all of these schools wanted to. It would consist of LCHS, Lincoln Co, Franklin Co, Columbia, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, and Coffee Co (which, by the way, is exactly the teams in District 8AAA for all other sports.) Therefore, six games guaranteed so LCHS would have 4 games to pick up.

(2) After the regular season, LCHS would pair with the same region teams they are with now, perhaps. Hickman County (Centerville), Hillsboro (Nashville), Lawrence County (Lawrenceburg), Maplewood (Nashville), Shelbyville, Stratford (Nashville), Tullahoma, Whites Creek. (One major plus is that you could have equal number of teams in each region since you don't have to play any of them, if you don't want to, in the regular season).

(3) Pick the top teams from that region. Four teams, two teams? Perhaps pair them against each other in the first round of the playoffs.

You could also cut down to 3 or 4 regions, if you chose to. If you wnet down to three you could use the same regions as basketball's districts EXCEPT I think you need to even them up, same number in each region, as explained above.

Some problems I think this would help either solve or at least lessen: (1) traditional rivalries could return. (2) travel should be less, in most cases (3) And, obviously, public and private schools would not meet in the playoffs. There was never a problem until the playoffs began. Like it or not, I think we have proven that there will always be a problem if these teams meet in the playoffs. Not only that, public and private teams would once again enjoy competing with each other the way they did prior to the playoff system evolving.

Sounds like a merit plan to me.

I've said my idea before, but here it is again in brief summary.

4 classes, name them however you like. For sake here I will call them A, B, C, and D with A being strongest and D being weakest. At the beginning of a 4 year cycle have a school decide which division they will play, and each school must be approved to play at that level by a board that uses a computer ranking as well as human element. Put cutoffs in place where a 1200 person school cannot play any lower than division B if you will for fairness. In a new twist, using I believe coach15s idea of requiring all privates to play class C and up after their first 4 years with a football program.

In the regular season play whoever you like regardless of classification. Bring back the old regional conferences. Assign a points system based on W/L, SOS (classification of opponents), margin of victory (to a point), etc. Set it up to where a class A team going 7-3 against all A and B level competition would be ranked righer than a class A team going 10-0 agains B through D level competition.

Week 0 or 1 would be a preseason kickoff game much like the HOF games in bball for old non-profits to use as a moneymaker as they did the bowls, but would not towards the computer rankings. TSSAA can get their cut of the profits, and you can use this as a way to have some local rivalries be played without hurting SOS, or allow great inner-state grand division games to be played. Then have your 10 regular season games. Preseason games are not required, but give a $$$ incentive for teams to participate.

16 teams in each class make the playoffs and brackets are set up based on computer ranking and location of teams. (For example - Cloudland and Lake Co - I cannot think of two schools it would take longer to get to from each other, 9 hours minimum - would not play each other until the finals even if 1 was ranked 1 and the other 16).

I think this would work. The only question is who should play in what division and who should approve it. All things considered, I don't know if it would be a lot different than how teams are alligned today. I think this allows teams at the same perceived skill level play each other, regardless of public, private, open or closed zone, etc. And the A division would be some GREAT November football games.

None of these 4A schools play any privates in the playoffs, right?

Isn't there a separate problem that Lawrence County, Shelbyville, and Tullahoma have

that has nothing to do with the private issue? This is not a statewide problem is it?

Just using this example because I am most familiar with this region. The concept could/would apply to all regions.

I've been saying this on this site for years.

I'm all for it also...I think it's a fair solution to all involved. PROVIDED that the public schools actually go through with scheduling the local privates. The usual "avoiders" in middle TN--Brentwood HS, Riverdale, etc.--should be forced to play some of their peer private schools (D2-aaa). In that way, we in DII can play a local regular season schedule and then travel for the post-season. And not have far-flung games all over the southeast just to fill out a regular season schedule.

The laughable thing about Riverdale is that, according to RRR's website, they have like a 12-4 record against the same privates they now refuse to play.

I'm all for it also...I think it's a fair solution to all involved. PROVIDED that the public schools actually go through with scheduling the local privates. The usual "avoiders" in middle TN--Brentwood HS, Riverdale, etc.--should be forced to play some of their peer private schools (D2-aaa). In that way, we in DII can play a local regular season schedule and then travel for the post-season. And not have far-flung games all over the southeast just to fill out a regular season schedule.

The laughable thing about Riverdale is that, according to RRR's website, they have like a 12-4 record against the same privates they now refuse to play.

They played McCallie last year. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

It seems several 5a schools are playing DII teams this year...more so than since DII was formed. Some won't...some will. That would always be the case

no matter the classifications unless they were in the same region.

They played McCallie last year. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

It seems several 5a schools are playing DII teams this year...more so than since DII was formed. Some won't...some will. That would always be the case

no matter the classifications unless they were in the same region.

of course, Riverdale would rather schedule a home-away with some random Ohio team than play a local private school. And then when that Ohio team backs out of its commitment to come to Riverdale, they have to turn to the only group with the flexibility to fill that opening--the d2 privates. No doubt if Rankin were still there he'd have chosen an open date over having to play one of the d2 privates. Hopefully Adeylott has a different approach than Rankin did, but I won't hold my breath. The folks at Riverdale hopefully are greatful that McCallie is so accomodating. Certainly they have never been so to any of us.

of course, Riverdale would rather schedule a home-away with some random Ohio team than play a local private school. And then when that Ohio team backs out of its commitment to come to Riverdale, they have to turn to the only group with the flexibility to fill that opening--the d2 privates. No doubt if Rankin were still there he'd have chosen an open date over having to play one of the d2 privates. Hopefully Adeylott has a different approach than Rankin did, but I won't hold my breath. The folks at Riverdale hopefully are greatful that McCallie is so accomodating. Certainly they have never been so to any of us.

Gee...maybe that was two way street. McCallie had an open date too...didn't they? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

you can't force people to do anything.

Gee...maybe that was two way street. McCallie had an open date too...didn't they? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

They (McCallie) had a game scheduled and when the opportunity to play Riverdale came along made arrangements to get out of the scheduled date in order to make the Riverdale game happen.

They (McCallie) had a game scheduled and when the opportunity to play Riverdale came along made arrangements to get out of the scheduled date in order to make the Riverdale game happen.

So...Riverdale called a DII team that already had a full schedule to play...yeah...that makes sense. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />