The Countdown Begins...

QUOTE(takedown3 @ May 16 2007 - 04:55 PM) 826460454[/snapback]if they can qualify academically and financially, there might be scholarship money available? Is that recruiting (not so far as the TSSAA is concerned) or pride in your school?

Ohh so some kid is "academically" awareded a scholorship, it is just a bonus he runs a 4.3 40 and can throw a football 70 yards in the air. What most privates do is legal in TSSAA eyes. However, morally we all know what they do and the corners they cut to do it.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 22 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826464941[/snapback]Ohh so some kid is "academically" awareded a scholorship, it is just a bonus he runs a 4.3 40 and can throw a football 70 yards in the air. What most privates do is legal in TSSAA eyes. However, morally we all know what they do and the corners they cut to do it.

I can't speak for all privates, but BA (and I believe most private schools that give money) does not give out athletic or academic scholorships. The only money given out is need based and that is determined by an independent agency -- not the school. Don't know what "Moral" issue you have with that . . .

QUOTE(fan6 @ May 23 2007 - 06:38 AM) 826465074[/snapback]I can't speak for all privates, but BA (and I believe most private schools that give money) does not give out athletic or academic scholorships. The only money given out is need based and that is determined by an independent agency -- not the school. Don't know what "Moral" issue you have with that . . .

You are correct about BA. It is worth noting, however, that BGA is now giving some true academic scholarships to students ( based on merit not need). But the arrangement with the student who receives this scholarship is that they cannot play a varsity sport.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 22 2007 - 09:50 PM) 826464941[/snapback]Ohh so some kid is "academically" awareded a scholorship, it is just a bonus he runs a 4.3 40 and can throw a football 70 yards in the air. What most privates do is legal in TSSAA eyes. However, morally we all know what they do and the corners they cut to do it.

Could you please at least do a little research and find one fact to base your opinions on, and not just how you think things work?

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 23 2007 - 11:10 AM) 826465206[/snapback]Could you please at least do a little research and find one fact to base your opinions on, and not just how you think things work?

Do you really think he will let "facts" get in the way of a good argument /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(Solomon @ May 23 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826465206[/snapback]Could you please at least do a little research and find one fact to base your opinions on, and not just how you think things work?

Asking MPH to do a little research or find a fact is like asking him to design a nuclear reactor or, even more improbable, not to whine.

QUOTE(zonepirate @ May 23 2007 - 01:59 PM) 826465336[/snapback]Do you really think he will let "facts" get in the way of a good argument /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Thank you zonepirate, finally an intelligent non degrading poster. LOL. How is you South Pitt boys looking this spring?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 24 2007 - 02:15 PM) 826466124[/snapback]Thank you zonepirate, finally an intelligent non degrading poster. LOL. How is you South Pitt boys looking this spring?

Ahhhhhhh Thanks.... but I was talking about you. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I have to be honest... you don't back up most of your opinions with any facts and a lot of what you say is off base. I agree with some of what you say and some I don't but using a shotgun approach (they all cheat or they all don't cheat) doesn't work for either side. My kids spent 2 years at Boyd so I have seen both sides of the argument. My daughter also almost went to St Andrews (where they do have finanical aid) so I have been through that process too. Research a subject a little then post with facts to back it up. Google is your friend. Go visit the private schools web sites. They are not all evil /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Some are actually terrible in sports in case you haven't noticed.

SP should be better since we only lost 2 starters and the kids have been working hard. We have our spring scrimmage tomorrow so we will know more then.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 22 2007 - 11:50 PM) 826464941[/snapback]Ohh so some kid is "academically" awareded a scholorship, it is just a bonus he runs a 4.3 40 and can throw a football 70 yards in the air. What most privates do is legal in TSSAA eyes. However, morally we all know what they do and the corners they cut to do it.

1) Scholarships are not allowed for any reason as far as I know.

2) Financial aid IS allowed, but only in DII for athletes. So none of the teams MPHS has played in the last 11 years has had ANY athletes on financial aid.

3) As I understand it financial aid is only allowed on a needs basis and is determined by a third party agency not associated with the school...in other words, the school doesn't have a say in who is and isn't eligible for it.

4) My 9-year old daughter has a 'friend' who thinks she can say "I'm not trying to be mean but..." and then say really mean and nasty things to people as if they weren't mean and nasty. Even my 9 year old figured out that scam. For some reason you think you can say things like "It's just my opinion but..." or "we all know..." and then end in exceptionally nasty accusations with 0 facts and we should all take it as if we were having a friendly talk about the weather. Do you realize that when you accuse "the privates" of being morally bankrupt and hypocritical you are talking about my mother, wife, self, and most of my best friends? You get crazy mad because someone used an allegorical child of yours in an argument. Yet you expect us to remain civil while you slam real relatives and friends as cheaters and liars? If my 3rd grade daughter read your posts about privates, I'm betting she would realize that you are like her friend. Someone who feels entitled to take ugly shots at others but who pitches tantrums when someone says or does anything that might even be construed as unkind back to you. *sigh*

5) Back to writing out the Accelerated Chemistry test for all those super stud players that we secretly recruited as 7 year olds under the guise that they were geniuses academically.

QUOTE(zonepirate @ May 24 2007 - 02:52 PM) 826466142[/snapback]Ahhhhhhh Thanks.... but I was talking about you. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I have to be honest... you don't back up most of your opinions with any facts and a lot of what you say is off base. I agree with some of what you say and some I don't but using a shotgun approach (they all cheat or they all don't cheat) doesn't work for either side. My kids spent 2 years at Boyd so I have seen both sides of the argument. My daughter also almost went to St Andrews (where they do have finanical aid) so I have been through that process too. Research a subject a little then post with facts to back it up. Google is your friend. Go visit the private schools web sites. They are not all evil /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Some are actually terrible in sports in case you haven't noticed.

SP should be better since we only lost 2 starters and the kids have been working hard. We have our spring scrimmage tomorrow so we will know more then.

I know but you were able to state what you said without being degradable. good luck next year and maybe some publics can sneak into the BC/BS game. However my "facts" remain that privates in 1A have won the state championship in football the last 6 out of 7 years and low and behold we have a rematch of the same two privates from football playing for the championship in baseball. Congrats on both, but fact is fact and its not hard to see the writing on the wall.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 24 2007 - 09:45 PM) 826466481[/snapback]1) Scholarships are not allowed for any reason as far as I know.

2) Financial aid IS allowed, but only in DII for athletes. So none of the teams MPHS has played in the last 11 years has had ANY athletes on financial aid.

1) Legally?

2) Can you say for certain with actual facts that those same schools the MP played didnt have anyone playing illegal?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 25 2007 - 07:32 AM) 826466776[/snapback]I know but you were able to state what you said without being degradable. good luck next year and maybe some publics can sneak into the BC/BS game. However my "facts" remain that privates in 1A have won the state championship in football the last 6 out of 7 years and low and behold we have a rematch of the same two privates from football playing for the championship in baseball. Congrats on both, but fact is fact and its not hard to see the writing on the wall.

1) Legally?

2) Can you say for certain with actual facts that those same schools the MP played didnt have anyone illegalyy playin?

Yeah, baldcoach, we don't want degradable posters. I know it would be enviromentally responsible and all but just don't do it on coacht. MPH has got you on point 2 because he will prove with actual facts as opposed to fictional facts that MP doesn't have anyone illegalyy playin.

Darn, I miss that room temperature IQ requirement for posting on coacht!

1) Legally?

2) Can you say for certain with actual facts that those same schools the MP played didnt have anyone playing illegal?

1) Yes, legally. And in reality. You don't seem to understand that since all the muck has been raked up for the last decade the small privates are under a microscope...not only would it be against most of our ethical foundations to cheat just to win games, but someone would certainly catch us eventually, so it is against any selfish self interest we may have also.

2) Yes, for the reasons stated above. And because I CHOOSE to believe that most people play by the rules, public or private. And because I play by the rules, so I'm not terribly suspicious of others like those who don't. Those are facts...the small privates are morally, ethically, philosophically, and in every other way opposed to cheating at anything...even more so something so unimportant in the overall scheme of things as athletics (yes, a coach just said that, which should let you know something about the religious private school value structure).

question: In your opinion could a small private be good at athletics and NOT have cheated to get that way?