The Countdown Begins...

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Jun 13 2007 - 12:27 AM) 826474495[/snapback]Well lets see. If a student wishes to attend Friendship Christian school then they must first take a test to see if the get in. This test includes a 40 yard dash, Squat, Bench Press, Catching Ability, Throwing ablity. The test was basically stolen from the NFL combine.

Wasnt trying to be smart I was just curious as you are one of the few genuine people to debate with. Are the transfer rules for privates a school to school rule or is it set by TSSAA for all privates? If it set by TSSAA, then that is an advantage for the publics and I agree with you there.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 13 2007 - 05:58 PM) 826474727[/snapback]Wasnt trying to be smart I was just curious as you are one of the few genuine people to debate with. Are the transfer rules for privates a school to school rule or is it set by TSSAA for all privates? If it set by TSSAA, then that is an advantage for the publics and I agree with you there.

It is a TSSAA rule. I only say that because i can say with complete and total honesty that no school in the country would ever tell an athlete they couldn't play for their school based on just a school rule. So while i cannot find (didn't look) for the rule in the rulebook on the matter, i do know that when Alsup came from lebanon to FCS he had to sit the bench the entire FCS football and baseball seasons when if he had played would have probobly started on both. So i am assuming that it is a TSSAA rule because i know that FCS would not make him sit just for a school rule if he could have helped out the team by playing.

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Jun 13 2007 - 07:41 PM) 826474765[/snapback]It is a TSSAA rule. I only say that because i can say with complete and total honesty that no school in the country would ever tell an athlete they couldn't play for their school based on just a school rule. So while i cannot find (didn't look) for the rule in the rulebook on the matter, i do know that when Alsup came from lebanon to FCS he had to sit the bench the entire FCS football and baseball seasons when if he had played would have probobly started on both. So i am assuming that it is a TSSAA rule because i know that FCS would not make him sit just for a school rule if he could have helped out the team by playing.

He had to sit out because he came from a school in FCS' territory (within 20 mile radius). If he had transferred from a school over 20 miles away...and his parents moved (bonafide change of residence) he would not have had to sit out.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 13 2007 - 08:17 PM) 826474777[/snapback]He had to sit out because he came from a school in FCS' territory (within 20 mile radius). If he had transferred from a school over 20 miles away...and his parents moved (bonafide change of residence) he would not have had to sit out.

Good to know for future reference...

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ Jun 13 2007 - 12:27 AM) 826474495[/snapback]So the way i look at it, if Mt. Pleasant has a kid, say a star linebacker (ju-ju) who played at his old high school and is comming in and able to imediately play at his new high school that is an advantage that Mt. Pleasant has over a private. After all, if he came to FCS, TCA, JCS, or Zion Christian he would have been rewarded with a nice bill and a piece of the pine specifically for him. Not a free trip through school and a starting position.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 13 2007 - 08:17 PM) 826474777[/snapback]He had to sit out because he came from a school in FCS' territory (within 20 mile radius). If he had transferred from a school over 20 miles away...and his parents moved (bonafide change of residence) he would not have had to sit out.

So according to Antwan, if a star linebacker lived 30 miles outside of FCS and his family had a bonafide change of address to inside that 20 mile radius he would be eligible to play immediatly just like a public school. If this is true than there is no advantage either way.

My next question would be and I'm asking because I dont know. Zion Christian Academy is in MP zoned area. If a kid already lives in that 20 mile radius and is attending MPHS and decides to go play at Zion, do they have to sit out a year?

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 14 2007 - 09:32 AM) 826474947[/snapback]So according to Antwan, if a star linebacker lived 30 miles outside of FCS and his family had a bonafide change of address to inside that 20 mile radius he would be eligible to play immediatly just like a public school. If this is true than there is no advantage either way.

My next question would be and I'm asking because I dont know. Zion Christian Academy is in MP zoned area. If a kid already lives in that 20 mile radius and is attending MPHS and decides to go play at Zion, do they have to sit out a year?

Yes...they do have to sit out unless they obtain a waiver from the director. It would be more likely to get a waiver if the transfer was the other way around.

Say a kid's parent lost their job...and couldn't afford Zion anymore. They could get a waiver. Other factors are divorces of parents. There's no guarantee either way.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 14 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826474955[/snapback]Yes...they do have to sit out unless they obtain a waiver from the director. It would be more likely to get a waiver if the transfer was the other way around.

Say a kid's parent lost their job...and couldn't afford Zion anymore. They could get a waiver. Other factors are divorces of parents. There's no guarantee either way.

Don't count on the divorce thing for a waiver...I know parents who divorced and could no longer afford the private school and had to move to a public, requested a waiver and were denied without hesitation.

QUOTE(BaseballthruNthru @ Jun 14 2007 - 03:49 PM) 826475081[/snapback]Don't count on the divorce thing for a waiver...I know parents who divorced and could no longer afford the private school and had to move to a public, requested a waiver and were denied without hesitation.

Like I said...there's no guarantee.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 13 2007 - 04:58 PM) 826474727[/snapback]Wasnt trying to be smart I was just curious as you are one of the few genuine people to debate with. Are the transfer rules for privates a school to school rule or is it set by TSSAA for all privates? If it set by TSSAA, then that is an advantage for the publics and I agree with you there.

There is one special case, related to boarding schools (which, in Tennessee, consist of Baylor, King's, McCallie, and St. Andrews-Sewanee). Transferring into or out of a boarding school as a boarding student counts as a change of residence, provided that the principals sign that it's not for athletic purposes, and that the student's "regular" home is outside the boarding school's territory (previously defined as where the school's day students lived, now the 20-mile rule).

QUOTE(silverpie @ Jun 15 2007 - 10:01 AM) 826475426[/snapback]There is one special case, related to boarding schools (which, in Tennessee, consist of Baylor, King's, McCallie, and St. Andrews-Sewanee). Transferring into or out of a boarding school as a boarding student counts as a change of residence, provided that the principals sign that it's not for athletic purposes, and that the student's "regular" home is outside the boarding school's territory (previously defined as where the school's day students lived, now the 20-mile rule).

And how many times has this rule been used? With a cost of $30,000.00 per year for boarding students I seriously soubt that kids would transfer to a boarding school for athletic reasons as it would be less expensive to rent an apartment for $750.00 per month.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jun 15 2007 - 10:12 AM) 826475428[/snapback]And how many times has this rule been used? With a cost of $30,000.00 per year for boarding students I seriously soubt that kids would transfer to a boarding school for athletic reasons as it would be less expensive to rent an apartment for $750.00 per month.

Probably why they call it a special case.