POLK COUNTY vs. McMINN CENTRAL

CRUTCHFIELD

QUOTE("Ole Ball Coach @ May 13 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826458669[/snapback]The only reason I would put qualls @ ss is to solidify the infield. Have heard he has great hands. Can you imagine him @ ss and allen @ 2nd, now that closes a lot of holes. I also agree why move a senior catcher that does as good as he does. But, would Polk be better off with a better infielder, or a new catcher? I'm an "ole ball coach" so I'm not afraid to move people around if it makes our team better. In my other post I forgot about Browder, can he help Polk at any position. I'm only asking cause I really don't know the answer. I hear he can also pitch and play the outfield. As for earlier post, sorry I didn't read all of them, didn't figure out who 6+4+3=2 was. Nor did I care, he has a great baseball mind and I'm sure a great opinion of the game.I'm still wondering who the parents are that you're talking about. I know you won't tell me here, just give me a hint!!

The catcher is probably the most important position in baseball, you don't move a kid that has played catcher since he was in middle school and make him a SS his senior year. The catcher runs the defense and handles your pitchers so why would you turn that position over to a freshman? Qualls would be no better than Allen at short you don't have an argument there sorry. If Qualls is such a good fielder why not put him at 2nd, Allen has had alot more experience at playing infield than anyone on the team. IMO if you move Qualls to SS your going to have the same situation you had this year, a kid that will struggle making plays because he has never played the infield and is out of position. So actually you are hurting your defense by losing a solid catcher. I have seen catchers moved to the infield and they tend to block the ball when a ground ball is hit at them that's just their natural instict after catching for years and at short you don't have time to block it up and then pick it up and make the throw. At 2nd you have time to do just that this is why I suggested 2nd. Just think of all those balls that Qualls blocks, you throw someone in there that only blocks a handful of those pitches and you won't need to worry about turning double plays, past balls will killl you. Bean and Phillips both have trouble throwing strikes sometimes and both throw alot of curveballs in the dirt, if they walk one hitter in two pitches the baserunner could be at third and neither pitchers hold runners very close well either. Think about this a 2nd basemen might get one ground ball per every inning or two but a catcher touches the ball on nearly every pitch. I have to wonder why you insist that Qualls be the SS there has to be ulterior motives to move the best defensive catcher in the district and put him at short would you care to explain? My argument is not that Allen is the answer to all of Polks defensive problems but he will make the routine plays and is fundamentally sound. Moving Qualls will hurt the team bad because of his defense and controlling the game from behind the plate. Sorry don't know anything about the young kids coming up. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheOldScout @ May 14 2007 - 08:12 AM) 826458812[/snapback]The catcher is probably the most important position in baseball, you don't move a kid that has played catcher since he was in middle school and make him a SS his senior year. The catcher runs the defense and handles your pitchers so why would you turn that position over to a freshman? Qualls would be no better than Allen at short you don't have an argument there sorry. If Qualls is such a good fielder why not put him at 2nd, Allen has had alot more experience at playing infield than anyone on the team. IMO if you move Qualls to SS your going to have the same situation you had this year, a kid that will struggle making plays because he has never played the infield and is out of position. So actually you are hurting your defense by losing a solid catcher. I have seen catchers moved to the infield and they tend to block the ball when a ground ball is hit at them that's just their natural instict after catching for years and at short you don't have time to block it up and then pick it up and make the throw. At 2nd you have time to do just that this is why I suggested 2nd. Just think of all those balls that Qualls blocks, you throw someone in there that only blocks a handful of those pitches and you won't need to worry about turning double plays, past balls will killl you. Bean and Phillips both have trouble throwing strikes sometimes and both throw alot of curveballs in the dirt, if they walk one hitter in two pitches the baserunner could be at third and neither pitchers hold runners very close well either. Think about this a 2nd basemen might get one ground ball per every inning or two but a catcher touches the ball on nearly every pitch. I have to wonder why you insist that Qualls be the SS there has to be ulterior motives to move the best defensive catcher in the district and put him at short would you care to explain? My argument is not that Allen is the answer to all of Polks defensive problems but he will make the routine plays and is fundamentally sound. Moving Qualls will hurt the team bad because of his defense and controlling the game from behind the plate. Sorry don't know anything about the young kids coming up. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Why move your starting catcher. You have in the current lineup players that can come in and play 2nd or 3rd without any trouble if needed. Depending on who is pitching you can rotate as needed. Shortstop is a key position that needs to be filled and keep stable. From what i see polk has more options on positions than you think.

I have nothing else to say about this year its over. Congrats to all the players on a great year and also some very good kids. As for next year Ole Ball Coach why would you as a coach want Ryan out from behind the plate, that is stupid and ridiculous. I know why but Ryan makes the team tremendously better with his defensive skills behind the plate. I'd have loved to had a catcher like him when I was coaching. As for young kids coming up you and I both know that this will be the best group of freshman they have had, they are better at this age than the juniors were when they were freshman. Your looking at possibly three freshman starting next year if you play the best at each position.

QUOTE(TheOldScout @ May 14 2007 - 08:12 AM) 826458812[/snapback]The catcher is probably the most important position in baseball, you don't move a kid that has played catcher since he was in middle school and make him a SS his senior year. The catcher runs the defense and handles your pitchers so why would you turn that position over to a freshman? Qualls would be no better than Allen at short you don't have an argument there sorry. If Qualls is such a good fielder why not put him at 2nd, Allen has had alot more experience at playing infield than anyone on the team. IMO if you move Qualls to SS your going to have the same situation you had this year, a kid that will struggle making plays because he has never played the infield and is out of position. So actually you are hurting your defense by losing a solid catcher. I have seen catchers moved to the infield and they tend to block the ball when a ground ball is hit at them that's just their natural instict after catching for years and at short you don't have time to block it up and then pick it up and make the throw. At 2nd you have time to do just that this is why I suggested 2nd. Just think of all those balls that Qualls blocks, you throw someone in there that only blocks a handful of those pitches and you won't need to worry about turning double plays, past balls will killl you. Bean and Phillips both have trouble throwing strikes sometimes and both throw alot of curveballs in the dirt, if they walk one hitter in two pitches the baserunner could be at third and neither pitchers hold runners very close well either. Think about this a 2nd basemen might get one ground ball per every inning or two but a catcher touches the ball on nearly every pitch. I have to wonder why you insist that Qualls be the SS there has to be ulterior motives to move the best defensive catcher in the district and put him at short would you care to explain? My argument is not that Allen is the answer to all of Polks defensive problems but he will make the routine plays and is fundamentally sound. Moving Qualls will hurt the team bad because of his defense and controlling the game from behind the plate. Sorry don't know anything about the young kids coming up. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You've got some great points there, no argument from me. Hope Polk has a great year in 08, go cats!!!!!!!

QUOTE(6+4+3=2 @ May 14 2007 - 10:14 AM) 826458873[/snapback]I have nothing else to say about this year its over. Congrats to all the players on a great year and also some very good kids. As for next year Ole Ball Coach why would you as a coach want Ryan out from behind the plate, that is stupid and ridiculous. I know why but Ryan makes the team tremendously better with his defensive skills behind the plate. I'd have loved to had a catcher like him when I was coaching. As for young kids coming up you and I both know that this will be the best group of freshman they have had, they are better at this age than the juniors were when they were freshman. Your looking at possibly three freshman starting next year if you play the best at each position.

Ok, I'm stupid, I agree Ryan is one heck of a catcher, just checking out what everyone thought, now I know. Go freshmen we need help, NOW!!! I think Polk has a great chance to have even a better year than this one. Of course, they will depend on as you have said, at least 3 freshmen. So go WILDCATS, believe in yourself!!!!!! Get over the hump and take it to the next step. 6+4+3=2, great points, I'm sure I'll see you at the games next year!!!!

QUOTE(6+4+3=2 @ May 14 2007 - 10:14 AM) 826458873[/snapback]I have nothing else to say about this year its over. Congrats to all the players on a great year and also some very good kids. As for next year Ole Ball Coach why would you as a coach want Ryan out from behind the plate, that is stupid and ridiculous. I know why but Ryan makes the team tremendously better with his defensive skills behind the plate. I'd have loved to had a catcher like him when I was coaching. As for young kids coming up you and I both know that this will be the best group of freshman they have had, they are better at this age than the juniors were when they were freshman. Your looking at possibly three freshman starting next year if you play the best at each position.

Ok, I'm stupid, I agree Ryan is one heck of a catcher, just checking out what everyone thought, now I know. Go freshmen we need help, NOW!!! I think Polk has a great chance to have even a better year than this one. Of course, they will depend on as you have said, at least 3 freshmen. So go WILDCATS, believe in yourself!!!!!! Get over the hump and take it to the next step. 6+4+3=2, great points, I'm sure I'll see you at the games next year!!!!

QUOTE("Ole Ball Coach @ May 14 2007 - 09:53 PM) 826459281[/snapback]Ok, I'm stupid, I agree Ryan is one heck of a catcher, just checking out what everyone thought, now I know. Go freshmen we need help, NOW!!! I think Polk has a great chance to have even a better year than this one. Of course, they will depend on as you have said, at least 3 freshmen. So go WILDCATS, believe in yourself!!!!!! Get over the hump and take it to the next step. 6+4+3=2, great points, I'm sure I'll see you at the games next year!!!!

I really didn't mean to imply that you were stupid, sorry if you took it that way. Yes I'll be there I will always support Matt, Ryan and all of the Polk players and I look forward to watching them their senior year. I always enjoy being around Ryan when he is with Matt, what a fun kid to joke and cut up with he has a great personality. For next year I think the seniors hitting has to come around for them to be successful next year this could be their biggest downfall. This year really hurt them not having a true hitter in the lineup no one was really a true threat to hurt opposing teams with their bat. Tanner had some pop but he is not a homerun hitter and Hammonds could not hit a curveball, so opposing pitchers went right after everyone without fear of giving up a home run. We will see. Next years freshman will make or break the season I think.

QUOTE(6+4+3=2 @ May 15 2007 - 06:19 AM) 826459335[/snapback]I really didn't mean to imply that you were stupid, sorry if you took it that way. Yes I'll be there I will always support Matt, Ryan and all of the Polk players and I look forward to watching them their senior year. I always enjoy being around Ryan when he is with Matt, what a fun kid to joke and cut up with he has a great personality. For next year I think the seniors hitting has to come around for them to be successful next year this could be their biggest downfall. This year really hurt them not having a true hitter in the lineup no one was really a true threat to hurt opposing teams with their bat. Tanner had some pop but he is not a homerun hitter and Hammonds could not hit a curveball, so opposing pitchers went right after everyone without fear of giving up a home run. We will see. Next years freshman will make or break the season I think.

I know you didn't mean it that way. I agree with you on next years seniors hitting the ball. We've got to get back to small ball, I thought we did that really well until tourn. time. Then we tried to produce the big inning. Like you said, we didn't have that go to big stick. Next year will be even worse. So hopefully we'll lay down a bunt here and there and hit andrun when we can. Go Cats, can't wait till next year!!!!!!!