Rutledge protest PF game

jenbug

QUOTE(SCARfan1624 @ May 11 2007 - 07:31 PM) 826457529[/snapback]Here's the official standing according to the Pigeon Forge coaching staff:

Pigeon Forge keeps the 2AA Championship title but,

they lose home field advantage during the regional tournament.

Rutledge has home field advantage for the region tournament.

Thats what TSSAA said today when they looked at the protests.

Personally I think if the kid can pitch 11 inning straight accross two games and hold the opposing team to two runs in two games there should be no excuses made. Rutledge got beat and cried about it.

I noticed you said IF the kid can pitch. Rules were placed there to prevent a coach from riding a kids arm to victories. The PF pitcher was obviously dominant. I'm sure the Rutledge kids realize this, but it is like playing with an illegal player. The blame needs to be shifted back to the PF coach and not accuse Rutledge of "crying". You have to admit 11 straight innings on a 17 or 18 year old arm is bad. Coach you have to be an advocate at his time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SCARfan1624 @ May 11 2007 - 07:43 PM) 826457537[/snapback]Oh I know rules are rules and as soon as it happened I knew they would be penalized. I just think it is humorous that Rutledge tried to beat PF with a technicallity because they couldn't beat them by playing the game. It shows thier character.

It shows the character of the PF coach I think.

QUOTE(SCARfan1624 @ May 11 2007 - 08:12 PM) 826457557[/snapback]You can seriously sit there and tell yourself Rutledge didn't get out played?

The inning rule is to protect the players. No high school kid (or college or pro for that matter) should ever be allowed/forced to pitch that much in one day...it ruins arms. The coach should be ashamed (and probably let go) for putting winning in front of the welfare of one of his players. So it doesn't matter who outplayed whom, what matters is one team cheated to the detriment of their own player and the game. They should rightfully be punished.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 12 2007 - 07:36 AM) 826457857[/snapback]The inning rule is to protect the players. No high school kid (or college or pro for that matter) should ever be allowed/forced to pitch that much in one day...it ruins arms. The coach should be ashamed (and probably let go) for putting winning in front of the welfare of one of his players. So it doesn't matter who outplayed whom, what matters is one team cheated to the detriment of their own player and the game. They should rightfully be punished.

well said

Rules are there for everyone to adhere follow & for a reason. Not just one person came up w/ the rules a committee did so it was a group who felt it was in the best interest & in this type of case it diffently was in the best interest of the player. The coach can say whatever he wants but he should know the rules (and probably does) just wanted to try and see if it wld go un-noticed. Dont blame the team that brought it to the attention that another broke the rule. Blame the coach for breakng it n the 1st place. Sure the kid shld feel good bc he pitched well, & that feeling shld not be takn away from him but the win shld be takn away from the team bc of the coaches error. Also the umps shld have been more on top of this at the game & stopped it then!!

QUOTE(unc4life @ May 12 2007 - 08:06 AM) 826457873[/snapback]Rules are there for everyone to adhere follow & for a reason. Not just one person came up w/ the rules a committee did so it was a group who felt it was in the best interest & in this type of case it diffently was in the best interest of the player. The coach can say whatever he wants but he should know the rules (and probably does) just wanted to try and see if it wld go un-noticed. Dont blame the team that brought it to the attention that another broke the rule. Blame the coach for breakng it n the 1st place. Sure the kid shld feel good bc he pitched well, & that feeling shld not be takn away from him but the win shld be takn away from the team bc of the coaches error. Also the umps shld have been more on top of this at the game & stopped it then!!

I agree with you except for one small part...It is NOT the umpires job to keep up with innings pitched or rest.It is the coaches responsibilty wholly. Period. The other coach was correct in calling for a forfeit . I bet you if you put the situation inreverse, the guilty coach would have done the same thing..I was witness to this same situation a few years ago @ the 7aaa district finals when Riverdale called Oakland on the exact same infraction. TSSAA was contacted and made Oakland forfeit.. Boy, were people in Murfreesboro ticked about that but...RULES ARE RULES AND BOTH TEAMS HAVE TO ABIDE BY THEM... I am probably sure that the kid didn't know the rule but it is not his job to..It is the coaches job. I can only hope it was a mistake and not on purpose..If it was intentional, there should be stiff reprimands handed top the coaching staff..IF ONE KNEW, THEY PROBABLY ALL DID!!

QUOTE(SCARfan1624 @ May 11 2007 - 06:53 PM) 826457542[/snapback]In reality because the new coach apparently has some screwed up problem with taking pitchers out. He has been known this season to leave them in far too long, and the team has suffered because of it for the most part.

But...

On the other hand the kid was dominating the Rutledge hitters in the first game that PF won 15-2. He went six innings and they only scored two runs. I guess the coach could have thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" because in the second game he went five scoreless before he was pulled. Pf then brought in a freshmen lefty that Rutledge couldn't hit either.

So, with a huge lead the coach had him pitch the sixth inning knowing he was going to pitch him in the second game and then did and in the process snatch a championship and home field from the whole team. That should go on his resume and be noted in bold red letters.

QUOTE(JohnDoe @ May 11 2007 - 08:29 PM) 826457570[/snapback]Y didnt u say something about it then?

i did state it and a coach of a very dominant school was asked to tell him what he knows of the rule. with a rule like this one the umpire(s) cannot call a game, they do not have the authority. they didn't know the rules so it doesn't matter, but someone was called and they were told that it was a rule but they couldn't call it that rutledge could play under protest and the game would be checked by the tssaa board. i knew that it was against the rules and there were a few of us that knew it was against the rules and the coaches for rutledge were notified but they had already been talking about it. the rule was questioned, the game was finished under protest, and the right call was made.

QUOTE(cutoff @ May 12 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826457887[/snapback]So, with a huge lead the coach had him pitch the sixth inning knowing he was going to pitch him in the second game and then did and in the process snatch a championship and home field from the whole team. That should go on his resume and be noted in bold red letters.

Well no one said the coach's decisions made any sense.

All this talk of protests and forfeits brings a somber tone to the end of Pigeon Forges run at THE BORO again... lets let them be like all year long and see what these boys accomplish knowing that their coach is leaving because he went 0-10 in football and has no support from the community it seems.. a bad situation has made these boys draw closer together and play as a team... This is a down point to their awesome performance on Thursday that was capped by a forfeit because of their coach not knowing the rule... but good luck tigers and make your community proud.