Randall Cobb Commits!

Norman Dale

Congratulations to Randall Cobb of Alcoa. He has committed to play football at the University of Kentucky. He will rejoin high school teammate Kyrus Lanxter at UK.

Randall is a very tough kid and obviously has a lot of athletic ability. I expect him to put up huge numbers both passing and running as the Tornadoes' QB this year. However, his future at the collegiate level will most likely be as a defensive back.

It has been astounding how many D1 level players Blount County has produced in just the last 3 years.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Randall Cobb of Alcoa. He has committed to play football at the University of Kentucky. He will rejoin high school teammate Kyrus Lanxter at UK.

Randall is a very tough kid and obviously has a lot of athletic ability. I expect him to put up huge numbers both passing and running as the Tornadoes' QB this year. However, his future at the collegiate level will most likely be as a defensive back.

It has been astounding how many D1 level players Blount County has produced in just the last 3 years.

Good for Randall. He will have to play DB in the SEC. I bet we will see him at DB some this year, especially the bigger games. I don't know if he is tall enough to play QB in the SEC but who knows. He does have an accuarate, strong arm. I am very proud of him.

Good for Randall. He will have to play DB in the SEC. I bet we will see him at DB some this year, especially the bigger games. I don't know if he is tall enough to play QB in the SEC but who knows. He does have an accuarate, strong arm. I am very proud of him.

Rankin kas played his qb on def before.

I thought Kyrus Lanxter went to West Virginia?

From what I have read West Virginia never offered him a scholarship. He had offers from Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Mississippi, MInnesota, Louisville, and Kentucky. He did visit West Virginia in December of 2006, then in January he visited Kentucky. I guess he liked Kentucky better. From his stats he is a pretty good player and will be a good addition for Kentucky along with Cobb. Congrats to both, hope you do well at Kentucky.

Rankin kas played his qb on def before.

That's why I posted such. I remember years ago when I lived in the Boro he often played QB's at DB. Only one I don't remember playing DB was Brian Davis. I know Eric play on defense, heck, I think he played OLB in their 5-3 scheme.

From what I have read West Virginia never offered him a scholarship. He had offers from Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Mississippi, MInnesota, Louisville, and Kentucky. He did visit West Virginia in December of 2006, then in January he visited Kentucky. I guess he liked Kentucky better. From his stats he is a pretty good player and will be a good addition for Kentucky along with Cobb. Congrats to both, hope you do well at Kentucky.

Tennesse NEVER offered Lanxter.

Tennesse NEVER offered Lanxter.

Yeah I know, heaven forbid someone said that!!! Kyrus received offers from Ole Miss, Louisville, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, and I'm sure a few others. He decommited from West Virginia because their receivers coach left, and he knew he had a better oppurtunity to play at Kentucky.

I knew that since Kyrus committed to Kentucky, that's where Randall wanted to go, it was just a matter of time until they offered. Now, I know it's realistic to think that he'll be a DB in the SEC, but is it too farfetched to think he could still possibly be a QB? I'll compare him to Troy Smith:

Randall: 6'1, 185-190

Smith: 6'1, 215

Randall: Can throw a ball 60-65 yards

Smith: Same, (I think I saw Smith throw it 64 yards in the QB challenge on ESPN and Randall threw it 62 yards in the Jamboree last year)

Randall: Very good speed and elusiveness

Smith: Same

Randall: Very smart passer (4 INT's last year)

Now Randall, of course, doesn't have his skills as sharp as Troy Smith, doesn't play in the Big 10, doesn't face the same competition, and can't command an offense like Smith. I'm not trying to compare their accomplishments or talents, however; I think he's perfectly capable of being an SEC QB. He busts it in the weightroom, and I bet by the time he gets to college he could be 6'0-6'1, 210-215 lbs., not prototypical, but I've seen some great QB's do just fine being Randall's size.

Yeah I know, heaven forbid someone said that!!! Kyrus received offers from Ole Miss, Louisville, Kentucky, West Virginia, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, and I'm sure a few others. He decommited from West Virginia because their receivers coach left, and he knew he had a better oppurtunity to play at Kentucky.

Thanks Tom for accurately stated Kyrus' recruiting options last year. UT did evaluate Kyrus but did not offer.

Randall: 6'1, 185-190

Smith: 6'1, 215

Randall: Can throw a ball 60-65 yards

Smith: Same, (I think I saw Smith throw it 64 yards in the QB challenge on ESPN and Randall threw it 62 yards in the Jamboree last year)

Randall: Very good speed and elusiveness

Randall: Very smart passer (4 INT's last year)

Now Randall, of course, doesn't have his skills as sharp as Troy Smith, doesn't play in the Big 10, doesn't face the same competition, and can't command an offense like Smith. I'm not trying to compare their accomplishments or talents, however; I think he's perfectly capable of being an SEC QB. He busts it in the weightroom, and I bet by the time he gets to college he could be 6'0-6'1, 210-215 lbs., not prototypical, but I've seen some great QB's do just fine being Randall's size.

Randal is a nice kid and I wish him the best. I doubt he will ever see a college snap behind center in the SEC but if that is his dream I hope he achieves it. What Randall will receive is a free education at excellent school. That is outstanding for most any kids. I hope his grades are in order.