Public's should not play private schools

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are examples of why most public schools around Chattanooga don't want to play these two in conference, postseason games/matches. This is from an AAU wrestling article:

"Also winning a bronze medal was rising McCallie School ninth-grader Michael Hooker from Maryville at 112. He had a 12-2 record.

Winning several matches was Baylor student Chance Hayes of Knoxville at 145."

Here are examples of why most public schools around Chattanooga don't want to play these two in conference, postseason games/matches. This is from an AAU wrestling article:

"Also winning a bronze medal was rising McCallie School ninth-grader Michael Hooker from Maryville at 112. He had a 12-2 record.

Winning several matches was Baylor student Chance Hayes of Knoxville at 145."

Add to that Temple getting a 6'5" senior transfer from SC in football or their senior transfers last year from Southeast Whitfield or the "dorm student" (the only one they had so far) they had in basketball a year ago!

Here's a Nashville public schooler's opinion about the whole recruiting issue (at least in the Nashville metro area)...

"If you ever hear middle tennessee people complain about how all private schools recruit, it's because the Nashville public schools are a joke."

Just something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...

Brentwood High is arguably the most succesful DI 5A athletic program in the state overall. Ravenwood has developed into a state power in 5A football in just a few seasons. All this with BA and BGA virtually next door, and CPA, MBA, Ensworth, etc. all within easy driving distance.

could there be a connection between the success of these two schools mentioned and the fact that they are located in the wealthiest community of the state and in close proximity to professional and collegiate sports, which provide direct and indirect benefits to these schools? these benefits remove most of the differences between these particular public schools and the privates.

could there be a connection between the success of these two schools mentioned and the fact that they are located in the wealthiest community of the state and in close proximity to professional and collegiate sports, which provide direct and indirect benefits to these schools? these benefits remove most of the differences between these particular public schools and the privates.

You have a point, but it has nothing to do with the argument I was responding to.

• 2 weeks later...

i have an idea if publics hve a specific zone to go by why cant they do div 1 privates the same way only le them pul from a specific area say the county they are in well in the nashville are that wouldnt work i dont think but u get my point then its all fair if not let the publics start pulling from anywhere too its only fair

The county government determines the school zones for government funded educational institutions. There is no way a county department of education could enforce zones for privates.

It would be similar to trying to tell a universtity where they could or could not get students from.

WHo was the dorm student from a year ago...I never hear about that?

Yeah, they had a dorm student who played on the '05 - '06 basketball team as a senior. I cannot remember his name, though. He as not a significant contributer to the team compared to the kids who surrounded him on the court.

By the way, the transfer from SC is not 6' 5". He might be 6'1" or 6'2".