Unicoi County

bluevol

What were the stats and who where the playmakers in this game???

I don't have the exact stats in front of me but, the sophomore QB stepped up and did his job and there were a couple of RBs who managed to find the endzone, it will be really interesting seeing the Big Blue in Mountain Lakes play now that they have a little confidence in them,The next couple of weeks will determine if the 2006 season was just a fluke and Erwin just slipped into the post season or if it truly was the turning point of the program, either way Cooper and the rest of his staff have managed to do something with a program that was dead in the water two years ago.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the exact stats in front of me but, the sophomore QB stepped up and did his job and there were a couple of RBs who managed to find the endzone, it will be really interesting seeing the Big Blue in Mountain Lakes play now that they have a little confidence in them,The next couple of weeks will determine if the 2006 season was just a fluke and Erwin just slipped into the post season or if it truly was the turning point of the program, either way Cooper and the rest of his staff have managed to do something with a program that was dead in the water two years ago.

Like someone said earlier,the fact that you all are even being talked about showed how much progress you all have made. Last year was not a fluke,Unicoi's team last year was a good team. Bishop was a stud running back,and Scott was a leader and playmaker at qb. If you don't make the playoffs this year,it is not a failure and says last year is a fluke,it takes alot to build a program,not just one year. And eventually,it falls back on the kids,if they work hard enough in the weightroom and in the offseason,and the coach gets all they can out of them,whether that is a 2 win season or a 10 win season,you are building a program. Unfortunately,many parents and fans can not realize that. I think Unicoi is on their way to building a program,except I also feel like Elizabethton and Central may be on the uprise,and in a couple years,the mountain lakes conference may have 7 or 8 schools all with a shot at making the playoffs. Because you can tell from other sports,all these schools have the athletes to do it.

Like someone said earlier,the fact that you all are even being talked about showed how much progress you all have made. Last year was not a fluke,Unicoi's team last year was a good team. Bishop was a stud running back,and Scott was a leader and playmaker at qb. If you don't make the playoffs this year,it is not a failure and says last year is a fluke,it takes alot to build a program,not just one year. And eventually,it falls back on the kids,if they work hard enough in the weightroom and in the offseason,and the coach gets all they can out of them,whether that is a 2 win season or a 10 win season,you are building a program. Unfortunately,many parents and fans can not realize that. I think Unicoi is on their way to building a program,except I also feel like Elizabethton and Central may be on the uprise,and in a couple years,the mountain lakes conference may have 7 or 8 schools all with a shot at making the playoffs. Because you can tell from other sports,all these schools have the athletes to do it.

I believe this might be as insightful and intelligent a post as I could hope to read. I too feel like EHS and Central are on the rise; the Mountain Lakes will be as strong as any 4A conference around in a few years. As far as this year's team goes, I reserve my judgement for after the Sullivan South game. I think South Greene was too far down to get a solid read on where we stand, and I'm not sure that HV is doing any better. The fact that 25 to 30 kids are getting action on Fridays is a testament to how far the program has come and how far it will go in the future. Athletic depth is BUILT not found.

In comparison to the other sports in Erwin, you can't argue with success- the basketball and baseball team obviously have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success. I just hate the fact that some of the best athletes in the school only play one sport- that should never be encouraged by a coach or program.

All that being said- Does anyone have any insight to Happy Valley this year? How do we measure up?

Unicoi didn't look too bad friday night, but it was against a sub-par south greene team. if we have any hopes of making the playoffs, we need to be better tacklers. The first defensive stand we played like men possesed, but after that it was lack-luster arm tackling. Also, from what i hear, HV is better than SG but not that much better.

I believe this might be as insightful and intelligent a post as I could hope to read. I too feel like EHS and Central are on the rise; the Mountain Lakes will be as strong as any 4A conference around in a few years. As far as this year's team goes, I reserve my judgement for after the Sullivan South game. I think South Greene was too far down to get a solid read on where we stand, and I'm not sure that HV is doing any better. The fact that 25 to 30 kids are getting action on Fridays is a testament to how far the program has come and how far it will go in the future. Athletic depth is BUILT not found.

In comparison to the other sports in Erwin, you can't argue with success- the basketball and baseball team obviously have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success. I just hate the fact that some of the best athletes in the school only play one sport- that should never be encouraged by a coach or program.

All that being said- Does anyone have any insight to Happy Valley this year? How do we measure up?

I fully agree on athletic directors and coaches need to support kids into playing multiple sports. Unless you have a stud athlete,who could go to college for free in one sport,I feel like multiple sports should be encouraged to play,you're only in high school once. And from what I have heard,you all should beat Happy Valley. And even though you may not be beating 2 quality teams,getting off to a good start is crucial. I'm sure the enthusiasm in the kids and at the school will be at an all time high if they start out 2-0.

Starting 2-0 would definitely be a luxury that we haven't enjoyed in quite some time. I can't help but feel like something is being overlooked when it comes to Happy Valley, but that might just be gameday jitters. This rivalry runs too deep on both sides for this game to be a true blowout. Nevertheless, We need a solid effort/showing today to help jumpstart conference play on the right foot.

Blue Devil Pride

Looks like when you're right... you're right. My hat is off to the Blue Devil defense tonight- the offense didn't gain a second half first down but yielded only two points ( a safety we took intentially). I figured out what I was overlooking earlier today- we are starting a sophomore quarterback. He was superman last week and I think we as a county forgot how much learning he is going to have to do this year. That being said- he sure throws a pretty ball! Under any circumstance, I will take being 2-0!!

Congrats on the win tonight. I haven't been to a football game in Erwin since 81 or 82. Looking forward to the game next Friday.

Thank you, SouthRebel. I hope you find that our facilities have drastically improved in very recent years. As far as the game goes, it will be the first real measuring stick for the Blue Devils. I have seen the Rebels play and I am very impressed with ttheir balanced attack and tackling ability. It's safe to say that their running game is twice as effective this year. If the Blue Devils bring the offensive they displayed against South Greene and the defensive displayed against Happy Valley, this could make for a great ball game. At least I hope so!

Thank you, SouthRebel. I hope you find that our facilities have drastically improved in very recent years. As far as the game goes, it will be the first real measuring stick for the Blue Devils. I have seen the Rebels play and I am very impressed with ttheir balanced attack and tackling ability. It's safe to say that their running game is twice as effective this year. If the Blue Devils bring the offensive they displayed against South Greene and the defensive displayed against Happy Valley, this could make for a great ball game. At least I hope so!

Didn't South scrimmage Happy Valley this summer? How did the Warriors measure up to South then and does the scrimmage even tell us anything about the upcoming South vs. Unicoi co game?