Scores

VolunteerGeneral

This is crazy, I never said it gets me fired up to have our team win by that score. I don't think it accomplishes anything, but then again, what are we doing on this board trying to find someone to bash with every comment we make. If you go back to my first comment, it was simply admitting that I can see how a score like some of Oak Ridges happen. I had a negative comment when I saw their scores, and felt bad for it.

If you want to continue to find something wrong with everything people post, fine knock yourself out.

Yes, let's leave this alone. I may well have read soemhting into your comments and apologize for that. I do beleive that generally coaches want what's best for the kids they are coaching, and have no intent to go out and embarrass other kids.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call out to BigG, Volunteer General, MJUHB.

Can anyone share if a Mercy Rule has ever been attempted in High School Soccer? Perhaps we could be constructive here and help everyone out. Despite how lop-sided a score, could it simply be reported only as a 6-0 or a 5-0 shutout? Is there any real value in a 6-0 win over 10-0 or 15-0 win? If it won't get reported, perhaps that may help the players realize those extra 10 goals won't count....anywhere.

Would love to hear you thoughts

When I coached in Florida there was a 10 goal slaughter rule that if there was a 10 goal differencial after 1 half was played, then the game is called. A school called Satellite didn't play a full soccer game all regular season. (and yes, my girls team was on the bad side of that situation!)

I have mixed feelings about it. My own opinion is that you can beat a team by less than 10 goals if you have a plan in place BEFORE the game starts (if you don't believe me, check our boys records over the past 5 years). And yes, you can tell your jv players and subs not to score (as a coach, I have that right) BUT that is a coach's perogative. Mine might be different than transam's or mustcoach's. It doesn't mean their's is wrong, or mine is right, just what I think.

soccer is basically the only tssaa sport with no mercy rules plus there is no real mercy rule to apply to soccer

i was at a game last thursday it was 7-0 at halftime and shelbyville got there 8th goal in the 1st minute of the 2nd half

THEY STOPPED SHOOTING PERIOD END OF STORY 1 shot the 2nd half in district that they could have won 20-0

soccer is basically the only tssaa sport with no mercy rules plus there is no real mercy rule to apply to soccer

i was at a game last thursday it was 7-0 at halftime and shelbyville got there 8th goal in the 1st minute of the 2nd half

THEY STOPPED SHOOTING PERIOD END OF STORY 1 shot the 2nd half in district that they could have won 20-0

Again all I was trying to say is, after witnessing the game, I can understand how some of them get outta control scoring. I never said I agreed with it, liked it, thought it was okay or anything. I was just trying to make up for the negative comments I said about other games where it seemed the score was run up. Hopefully, some of the people who are looking to rip on people on the board will quit trying to read between the lines.

When I coached in Florida there was a 10 goal slaughter rule that if there was a 10 goal differencial after 1 half was played, then the game is called. A school called Satellite didn't play a full soccer game all regular season. (and yes, my girls team was on the bad side of that situation!)

I have mixed feelings about it. My own opinion is that you can beat a team by less than 10 goals if you have a plan in place BEFORE the game starts (if you don't believe me, check our boys records over the past 5 years). And yes, you can tell your jv players and subs not to score (as a coach, I have that right) BUT that is a coach's perogative. Mine might be different than transam's or mustcoach's. It doesn't mean their's is wrong, or mine is right, just what I think.

I think one thing is obvious about the Florida rule. A lesser team can`t improve if they aren`t playing so I don`t really agree with shortening a game. The whole object is to play and get better. The beauty of playing high school sports is that it can teach you so many of life values. And yes, I believe that a lot can be learned by playing on a team that gets crushed every time out maybe even more so than playing on a team that wins. Why should we really care if a team gets beat 12-0? Are we concerned about hurting someone`s feelings or are we not able handle the fact that the opposing team was very skilled. I`ve just never been much on mercy rules. Soccer like any sport is a contest to match skills. I don`t think there is any shame to be regarded as a team with little skills. The glory should be focused on the fact that they compete. To a competitor losing isn`t fun, but the character comes through when they don`t quit.

I have seen coaches tell their starters that they have to make a certain number of passes before they can shoot. Against an inferior team it is sometimes easy tor a forward to breakaway and get an easy goal. It gets a little tougher on them when they have too make 5 passes before they can shoot. It also keeps them more mentally tough.

I`ve also seen coaches empty their bench out. I don`t see anything inappropriate with letting the starters play a full half, but depending on what the score is the subs should see lots of playing time in the 2nd half.

I also think a coach should NEVER tell their team not to score. If it`s to that point then the subs should be playing anyways and they deserve a chance to score too. Putting a sub in and telling them not to shoot is just wrong IMO. They practice just like everyone else and for them to sit on the bench and then be told not to shoot isn`t right. Now if it is a team that doesn`t have a lot of players and some starters have to remain in the game because they don`t have enough subs then I would have no problem if the coach told a starter they could no longer take any more shots. (only a sub could shoot)

I also like it when a coach move some of his defenders to offense in games that have gotten out of hand. Some of these girls play hard on defense the whole season and never get an opportunity to score. They never get their name in a boxscore yet they are just as important to the team.

General, I like your thoughts on that. I think the big issue is not a big score; it is the intent. There is a difference in scoring a lot of goals using the process the General just outlined. It is quite another situation to intentionally run a score up for the sake of 'numbers' or just for a large differential. It's all part of sports and learning to deal with the 'thrill of victory and the agony of defeat'.

Bean has it totally right: intent.

I've said it before and I will say it again: you have to have a plan in effect BEFORE it gets out of hand, and you players need to understand the limits and expectations BEFORE they step on the field. If you do this, you don't have to tell someone not to score, not to shoot... it doesn't get to that point. Like VG said, that is my opinion, and I am not saying that it should be everyone's. That is just how I choose to do it at CAK, and I think it has worked out ok.

Thank all of your for your comments. Frankly, in my opinion, even 10-0 shows littel mercy, but that is me. I guess where i was going with this would be the following suggestion:

A team can score up to (arguable number here guys) 6 goals to their opponents zero. Regardles of how many goals are scored afer the 6th, the reported score remains 6-0. Count is kept on the field, but not reported.

The thought behind this would be if no one accounted for the goals, do you think the dominating players would be as eager to score them? Perhaps they may consider changing their efforts towards other parts of the game.

Probably not the best sugestion, but something to consider. Seems like no one agrees on what is mercy and what is sportamanship. I was just fishing to see if we could find a common language or goal.

General, I like your thoughts on that. I think the big issue is not a big score; it is the intent. There is a difference in scoring a lot of goals using the process the General just outlined. It is quite another situation to intentionally run a score up for the sake of 'numbers' or just for a large differential. It's all part of sports and learning to deal with the 'thrill of victory and the agony of defeat'.

Its a good topic to discuss. Lots of good opinions. What I try to do is in high school, if playing a team that is rebuilding or new or for whatever reason the lesser team at the moment, the starters get one half of trying to accomplish the goals we have set for the team in all areas. Working on set pieces, working on building from the back, circulating the ball, etc...if we happen to score 5 goals then certainly the bench is starting to get cleared. The restrictions I would have in place to keep the score from getting out of hand is two things. First, starters arent in the game the second half. They have had there half to get some good work in and good touches. No reason to get them hurt in a lop sided game. Second, the bench players, jv swing players, and/or young players have the right to score but with some restrictions. Two things will do it and keep the score down in girls soccer.

They must score of a header or score left footed. Both of these restrictions unfortunately for the girls game will almost gaurantee very few goals will be scored, especially with your JV, bench, or young players. However, if they can score off a header or a nice left footed shot, then im ok with it up to 10. After that, players have to stay out of the box period. They can then shoot from outside the box left footed. IF they can score that way (which is very unlikely even for most varsity players), then sorry. At some point the other team is going to have to do something other than just watch.

I think its highly disrectful to start passing the ball around and not ever try to advance it to the goal. I would rather a team try there hardest to score (with reasonable restrictions), then just pass the ball around like were so handicapped. If I dont have the best team then i want our players to have to work through it and learn to hustle the whole game. There is value in getting beat bad if you use it as a tool to learn certain lessons on giving up etc..

Long story short. Making girls use the left foot or scoring on headers only and then after 10 cant go in the box period but can still shoot with left foot outside the box, keeps the scoring down and still show competitive respect for the opponent. Also, with the right 3 or 4 players up front..having to shoot left footed outside the box, will certainly gaurantee no more goals will be scored. Im sure everyone knows what im talking about there( god love the kids that try hard but just dont have it).

only sport????? ....what are the mercy rules for....football, basketball, golf, track........?