Maryville @ Alcoa

the1andonly13

Impressions from the game:

-Aaron Douglas was impressive, but appeared slow, dont see him playing TE at UT.

I think Douglas runs and jumps very well for a guy around 6-7 255. He may appear slow when compared to fast tailbacks and wide receivers but he is an athletic freak for someone his size, imo.

I think he definitely could play tight end at UT but I wouldn't be surprised to see him converted to be an offensive tackle in college. He has a frame that could handle some more weight and he has the athleticism and toughness to block the physical defensive ends/linebackers that he would be playing against in college.

He also looked pretty good on defense for a guy who hasn't played there in varsity action before.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-Doug was most def. the most impressive player on the field last night. that was some of the best hands i have seen on that field since "you know who" played at alcoa. however Douglas will prob either most to the O tackle like you said, or become more of a blocking tight end than a recieving tigh end, simply because of his speed. he has great footwork, but he is slow compared to the SEC defense. for his size, his speed is great, but not for anyone getting alot of catches at UT. However, he WILL play at UT. they have to fit someone with that size and raw talent into the roster somewhere

well then, maybe your new to reading, because what i said doesnt matter what fan base you are. I dont care if you are a pigeon forge fan, there is still no need to be on a message board about the alcoa maryville game, saying that alcoa cant beat another school that is 2 divisions above them. heck, it wouldnt even make sence to say that alcoa couldnt beat someone in their own region, on a message board devoted soley to the fact of talking about the maryville game. this board was for the maryville game, hence the "Maryville Alcoa game" Title. but hey, since you are new to this whole reading thing, we'll let it slide this one time

You need to show a little respect to your elders (Red Rebels). He was giving you some honest and useful advice about this board, he's been on here a little longer than you. He wasn't trying to stir up trouble. And take your own advice about keeping on the topic of the thread if you're going to call other people out on it. You haven't been "devoted soley" of talking about the alcoa/maryville game.

If you want to get on here and talk sports and support Alcoa and criticize WB and our coach, it's wide open. But you can do it without being a complete jerk.

And while you're already forming your reply to me in your brain while you're reading this, know one thing ... I know who you are !!!

A-Doug was most def. the most impressive player on the field last night. that was some of the best hands i have seen on that field since "you know who" played at alcoa. however Douglas will prob either most to the O tackle like you said, or become more of a blocking tight end than a recieving tigh end, simply because of his speed. he has great footwork, but he is slow compared to the SEC defense. for his size, his speed is great, but not for anyone getting alot of catches at UT. However, he WILL play at UT. they have to fit someone with that size and raw talent into the roster somewhere

just curious , but "you know who" would you be referring to Lindsay or Warren?

and i almost forgot to talk about the game. like everyone has said, the score doesnt reflect the game. Marvyille scored on extreme plays, they rarely had a good drive. they were one-play-Mcgray tonight. but they did get the W and that is something that cant be taken from them. talent wise, maryville has a little advantage. not in the fact that they have more starts, but they have alot of very good players, and alcoa has a few great ones. also, Certain players didnt show up at the field tonight for the tornadoes, but i still gotta love my boys. I think for the most part they played their hearts out, and randall is real. thats all there is to it, he showed his stuff tonight. i mean taking hits from big guys, im talkin real big guys, and then he gets up fbefore they do. And on a QB draw play close to the end zone, i saw something that will prob never be seen again, (unless randall and A-Doug match up in SEC play) and that is a 5-10 180 Qourterback being face to face with a 6-7 245 tennessee comit. and instead of sliding, juking, or trying to run around, the quarterback lowers his shoulder and bulldozes his way for another yard or two. that is things that arent taught, you have to want that. Maryville will be fine till the playoffs( same old same old) and alcoa just has to much talent for 2A. the only way either of these teams will not get their 4th is them playing the worst games of their lives against a team playng the best of theirs. (Maryville might beat us in the season, but if we both win our 4th Ring, God-willing, alcoa can always say they did it first hahaha)

Boy I do not know what game you were watching but I saw a game where Alcoa was pumped and played well and Maryville took all they had and gave it right back. the running game needs to get better but they have different horses than last year. None have that smoothe speed that Tank had.coach Q was lulling them to sleep with the run game . They could pass anytime they wanted and Alcoa could do nothing to stop it. The only drawback to passing a lot is the less time on the Field for the offense and thus more for the D.

Alcoa's running game had its moments but without a downfield passing game they could not do what was needed to really take it to the red rebels.

The D will get even better this is still their first game now the coaches will have a better idea what areas need work.The O-line needs some work to help with the running game but even at this point , the offense is a very lethal weapon.

The only thing I see is that a team has to be a very good pass defense team and decent run D team to beat Maryville.

Impressions from the game:

-Alcoa did not have the big play threats to beat Maryville this year.

-Maryville has no running game at all, and they better find it real soon if they have any chance of making it 4 in a row.

-Randall Cobb, Troy Hodge, and Sam Thompson played their hearts out the whole game. If Alcoa is to win another state championship it will be because of these three kids. They are all mult-talented and kept fighting untill the end even though they were totally worn out from playing both ways the whole night.

-Where in the world was Brian Sommer? No catches I can recall, and Shiver, who he was guarding the whole night, had plenty.

-Aaron Douglas was impressive, but appeared slow, dont see him playing TE at UT.

-Shiver, Clendenen, and Clement looked very good, no reason why the Maryville QB shouldnt be a Mr. Football finalist when you have those WR's to throw to, and by the looks of the running game they will be throwing it a lot.

-Yes, there was a lot of people there, but the atmosphere was way down this year compared to the last two years, but the previous two years were very very very special teams for both Alcoa and Maryville, and the schools probably wont see teams like that again in a long time.

-George Quarles continues to impress, as does Coach Rankin. He isnt scared of Maryville at all and I love it how he runs trick plays and attempts fake punts in the first game of the year, instead of saving them for late in the year, because he has grasped how important this game is for Alcoa, and what it would mean to the school if we could pull out a win.

-All in all, great game to watch, two very sound, disciplined teams that I think will both be playing on Thanksgiving weekend, and hopefully beyond.

douglas appeared slow? when, whil.e he was pulling away from the DB on his long reception and run? he left that guy in the dust if he had not cramped up he could have hopped on one leg into the end zone from where he went down. speed is there and any coach who makes him a OT is not a very smart one.He is a playmaker period.

douglas appeared slow? when, whil.e he was pulling away from the DB on his long reception and run? he left that guy in the dust if he had not cramped up he could have hopped on one leg into the end zone from where he went down. speed is there and any coach who makes him a OT is not a very smart one.He is a playmaker period.

I see Aaron Douglas being a very special TE for UT! Alcoa had no answer for him last year or this year.

well then, maybe your new to reading, because what i said doesnt matter what fan base you are. I dont care if you are a pigeon forge fan, there is still no need to be on a message board about the alcoa maryville game, saying that alcoa cant beat another school that is 2 divisions above them. heck, it wouldnt even make sence to say that alcoa couldnt beat someone in their own region, on a message board devoted soley to the fact of talking about the maryville game. this board was for the maryville game, hence the "Maryville Alcoa game" Title. but hey, since you are new to this whole reading thing, we'll let it slide this one time

I tried to give a nice neighborly response, and this is what I get. Whatever...

I think Aaron will do fine at UT, I just hope Fulmer is done throwing in the towel out while Tennessee has life.

Did Aaron Douglas run away from Alcoa? Yes. Is there any Division One kids on Alcoa's defense? NO! Was Douglas the most impressive player on the field? Maybe. But if I was 6 foot whatever and weighed that much then by God I think I would be the most impressive player on the field too.

Douglas does not have the speed to play TE in the SEC, and he and all the Maryville faithful will soon find that out. TE's in the SEC run 4.5's, with linebackers and defensive end's being faster than that. Aaron will be another offensive tackle for Tennessee that just happens to wear a number in the 80's, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, lets say in the year 2008 or 2009, would you rather throw passes to an unltra athletic TE like Brandon Warren, or to a offensive tackle in 80 something number? I look forward to seeing Aaron line up next to an offensive tackle and Brandon lined up as an H-back right behind him, I think that will be a very dangerous formation for UT.

Did Aaron Douglas run away from Alcoa? Yes. Is there any Division One kids on Alcoa's defense? NO! Was Douglas the most impressive player on the field? Maybe. But if I was 6 foot whatever and weighed that much then by God I think I would be the most impressive player on the field too.

Douglas does not have the speed to play TE in the SEC, and he and all the Maryville faithful will soon find that out. TE's in the SEC run 4.5's, with linebackers and defensive end's being faster than that. Aaron will be another offensive tackle for Tennessee that just happens to wear a number in the 80's, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, lets say in the year 2008 or 2009, would you rather throw passes to an unltra athletic TE like Brandon Warren, or to a offensive tackle in 80 something number? I look forward to seeing Aaron line up next to an offensive tackle and Brandon lined up as an H-back right behind him, I think that will be a very dangerous formation for UT.

So you are saying that the DB's for alcoa are not as fast as a future OL ? Then your coach should be relieved of his duties right now.I have seen alot of big guys but they do not move like that. Look at the speed of NFL TE's , I think of all those only Vernon Davis is a 4.5 or better.Most would range from 4.7 fast for TE up to but not limited to 5.0. Hands and good feet make Douglas more than an OT with a player like that it is like having an extra OT who can score.