DB vs. William Blount

db123

The Dobyns-Bennett Band is the football team's largest and loudest fan and Graham Clark and the team appreciate them. Just like the student section, they make sound. Lots of very loud SOUND! What would you have them do? Shut the whole fan section up during the plays? There is nothing wrong with what they do - unless they're playing and making noice while the DB offense if making offensive calls at the line. And they do try not to do that.

Sadly, nobody will have to worry about this silly little "problem" at the William Blount game. There will be no band. As I understand it, for two reasons. One already mentioned - it's Thursday and most of these nearly 400 kids have not been given a homework break by their teachers. They have homework and 4+ hours on the road and getting back at midnight are just not acceptable. So this idea of Thursday night football, in my view is crap. It does not have the students best interest at heart. Just $$$s. The 2nd reason is that there just is not enough money in the bank to rent 9 buses to go to William Blount this early in the season. They have to do fund raisers to make the money to go on trips. The school doesn't pay for it, they have to support themselves. They are saving their money to go to conference games - Sevier County, Jeff County, and maybe Karnes I believe.

To make matters worse, there is a mandatory band practice until 6pm Thursday - unless they change their minds. You do the math. How many band kids can even show up? Hopefully somebody will put some pressure on to shift the practice to another time (Friday? dah!)

I hope this poster is wrong or America is in trouble.

It seems pretty unbelievable to me that teachers could not accomdate a major school event which has been scheduled well in advance when we ask the kids to start the first week of August.

As far as the D-B Band is concerned, they set their own schedule. After all, they are probably more highly regarded than the football team.

A long trip on a school night to be sure. Attendance the next day is critical as the average daily attendance is the basis for some school funding formulas from the state. It is a shame, however, that WB will not get to experience the full effect of the Tribe.

By the way, the next time 10,000 people fill a stadium for a lecture on American Literature, please let me know.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I'm a Maryville Supporter and Fan, but I'm going to the WB game. It's a free country and some of my tax dollars go over there to that side of the county.

I'll pay for my ticket and buy some hotdogs. This helps the kids, if the money is not stolen!

I hope the band does not play the whole game, I think the act is unclassly.

I will also take my Rebel Plate off my car so I won't have to wash the spit off of it the next day and replace my antenna!

WB by 10

I'll pay for my ticket and buy some hotdogs. This helps the kids, if the money is not stolen!

Random Thoughts:

Concerning your quote above ...what's the old proverb FBE? "If you live in a glass house, you shouldn't throw stones" ... or something like that.

I'm disappointed that DB's band isn't making the trip ... they are absolutely the best high school band I've every had the pleasure of listening to.

I never thought I'd see the day that someone would actually imply that DB defeating WB would be an "upset special".

Let me get this straight........ you DON'T want our band to play while they other team has the ball????

HMMMMM?????????

Not that I go to football games just to see the band, but I think that is part of the reason for them being there! I don't know but I could be wrong (Lord knows I have been wrong before) but if the band isn't going to be PART OF THE GAME, then they should just do away with the band!

ANYBODY ELSE care to chime in on this???

Don't even reply to DB123 he or she is an imposter on coacht stirring the pot.One thread has been shut down already.

Go to a UT game, the band plays all game long.{Except,............] when the teams are at the line calling out the play.I will bet any amount of money,UT's band director is smart enough not to play when UT is at the north or south-end calling a play with the game on the line. I love our band and I'm proud of it, the kids are great. However, to make them play when [for sure] our team has the ball { and is at the line ],is like GC punting on every 1st down.

The DB pep band does the same thing during basketball games! I guess we just need to get rid of the band all together??

dobynsbennett123 ......... you need to GET A CLUE man!

Unfrickin believable. Is this not the football boards. I understand that the band and atmosphere is all a part of football, but really people can we not talk about x's and o's and everyone's predicitions of the game.

By the way worlhead didn't know if you heard or not but the draft for PEE WEE football is on Wednesday. I have to work until 10, but I can call our assistant coach if you want me to and see if he can be there.

24-21 Indians

Roll Tribe.

FIRST I've heard about it man. Do what ya gotta do! Call me!

Random Thoughts:

Concerning your quote above ...what's the old proverb FBE? "If you live in a glass house, you shouldn't throw stones" ... or something like that.

I'm disappointed that DB's band isn't making the trip ... they are absolutely the best high school band I've every had the pleasure of listening to.

I never thought I'd see the day that someone would actually imply that DB defeating WB would be an "upset special".

GovMan, I'm not throwing stones at WB. I am sick over what has happened at MHS! Disgusted, embarrassed and outraged are a few things. You know the story. Money spent at games by fans should be used for the kids, period!

I think it is sad the band won't be there but at the same time I hope I can get a good seat, because I think White Field will be packed for this one. I expect a good game.

GovMan, I'm not throwing stones at WB. I am sick over what has happened at MHS! Disgusted, embarrassed and outraged are a few things. You know the story. Money spent at games by fans should be used for the kids, period!

I think it is sad the band won't be there but at the same time I hope I can get a good seat, because I think White Field will be packed for this one. I expect a good game.

Sorry FBE ... as you know, that misappropriation of funds thing is a sensitive subject down our way also.

I hope you're right about the stadium being packed. I expect DB to "travel well" and bring a good crowd and I believe the Governor faithful will be out in full force, but I believe we'll still need some help from Maryville, Alcoa, & Heritage folks who just want to see what SHOULD be a good football game, if we're going to pack it to capacity.

Sorry FBE ... as you know, that misappropriation of funds thing is a sensitive subject down our way also.

I hope you're right about the stadium being packed. I expect DB to "travel well" and bring a good crowd and I believe the Governor faithful will be out in full force, but I believe we'll still need some help from Maryville, Alcoa, & Heritage folks who just want to see what SHOULD be a good football game, if we're going to pack it to capacity.

I hope you guys get your packed stadium but remember DB is young this year.I don't think you will see the game you guys are expecting.Beating SC the way you did has set a tone that will make it a tough ballgame for The Tribe.Hope it doesn't dissappoint anybody who is expecting a nail bitter.

If DB doesn't at least have some semblence of a passing attack then they might as well not get off the bus. WB has a really stout front seven and while you may be able to have a succesful running play here or there they will not allow many drives sustained by the ground attack only. Walker at DE and Cail at LB were men among boys against us.

As far as the secondary, our inexperienced QB and Receivers were rather anemic in the passing game so I can't really tell how good or bad they are (WB did have one pick six on a terrible pass down at our goal line and another one on a nice play by the DB). However, I do know that no one dimensional team can grind out a victory via the run on this bunch.

As far as the offense, WB also has opened it up more this year so they are more effective at passing the ball then previous seasons. The only concern I would have if I was a Gov fan was that this new passing offense seemed to transform them into more of a finesse team. I was expecting to get hammered on by a bruising rushing attack (much like last year) with the occasional pass mixed in. However, because of their inconsistency in running the ball they struggled some sustaining drives and punching the the ball into the endzone.

Post game observations:

WB has a really nice team (especially their defense)

DB will probably play them closer than us (based on assumption of better Secondary and better QB & Receiver play)

WB will still win however, 23 - 10

After this weekends losses and seeing other games it is apparent that Region 1 is really down and inferior again to our Region 2 brethren this year. Any one of their top four teams could win region 1 IMO.

This post is outstanding. Talk about hitting the nail on the head!!

If DB doesn't at least have some semblence of a passing attack then they might as well not get off the bus. WB has a really stout front seven and while you may be able to have a succesful running play here or there they will not allow many drives sustained by the ground attack only. Walker at DE and Cail at LB were men among boys against us.

As far as the secondary, our inexperienced QB and Receivers were rather anemic in the passing game so I can't really tell how good or bad they are (WB did have one pick six on a terrible pass down at our goal line and another one on a nice play by the DB). However, I do know that no one dimensional team can grind out a victory via the run on this bunch.

As far as the offense, WB also has opened it up more this year so they are more effective at passing the ball then previous seasons. The only concern I would have if I was a Gov fan was that this new passing offense seemed to transform them into more of a finesse team. I was expecting to get hammered on by a bruising rushing attack (much like last year) with the occasional pass mixed in. However, because of their inconsistency in running the ball they struggled some sustaining drives and punching the the ball into the endzone.

Post game observations:

WB has a really nice team (especially their defense)

DB will probably play them closer than us (based on assumption of better Secondary and better QB & Receiver play)

WB will still win however, 23 - 10

After this weekends losses and seeing other games it is apparent that Region 1 is really down and inferior again to our Region 2 brethren this year. Any one of their top four teams could win region 1 IMO.

OUCH!

At least they'll give Science Hill a good game. Thats the one the DB fans have decided will save the season.