Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

KEV-O, don't let those low class people make you think any less of the band. I know I feel the band is pretty athletic, but I can't see reacting like the last two rediculous post. They should just be deleted!!!! If you make a stand for the band..... at least show class when doing so!!!!!!!!

all he is doing is dragging yall down. Its ok little white boys never scared me /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> im sure the kid still has peach fuzz on his face. I have always respected the band for there class and skill but im not going to let a little pud puller change how i think of yall.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played football too. I think all yall band people need to chill. Just cuz u don't play a sport doesn't mean band isn't important. I'd much rather have band than cheerleaders any day. Some ditsy cheerleader can't make the entire stadium ring with rocky top when my offense scores a touchdown on friday night. I know most of the time band isn't exclusively an auxillary to sports, as there are competitions, but to some degree, yall exist because we exist. if there were no sports, the concept of marching band would be greatly diminished. The point is, we're all in this together, so lets stop squabbling about what's a sport and what's not and go make it happen.

I played football too. I think all yall band people need to chill. Just cuz u don't play a sport doesn't mean band isn't important. I'd much rather have band than cheerleaders any day. Some ditsy cheerleader can't make the entire stadium ring with rocky top when my offense scores a touchdown on friday night. I know most of the time band isn't exclusively an auxillary to sports, as there are competitions, but to some degree, yall exist because we exist. if there were no sports, the concept of marching band would be greatly diminished. The point is, we're all in this together, so lets stop squabbling about what's a sport and what's not and go make it happen.

I do have to disagree with you on that one comment about the band existing because of other sports. I do think they go hand and hand, BUT we have concert band that we are involved in. So band can and will go on even if the sports are not there. There are a lot of kids that get great scholarships from band. Yes, I know, you get scholarships with sports too. I could really care less if you call it a sport or not. I know what they go through and that is why I think they are just as athletic as any "sports" player. It takes so much more than what some people think it does. There is a lot of coordination they have to have plus so much more. You have to remember sets that can be very confusing not to mention having to read music and knowing what beat your on to make a certain move. If you are out of pocket, it makes the whole band out of pocket. Oh well, anyway, I don't have to explain every detail. Do you have to be athletic? YES!!!!!!!! If you are not, then you will be if you join the band.

Dictionary.com-meaning of athlete and sport:

ath?·lete ??“noun; a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

sport -noun; an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Uh, Oh we are in trouble. Band and football are not listed. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I believe band AND football can fit into the meaning of both. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Dictionary.com-meaning of athlete and sport:

ath?·lete ??“noun; a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

sport -noun; an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Uh, Oh we are in trouble. Band and football are not listed. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I believe band AND football can fit into the meaning of both. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

football falls under etc. and with the dictionary.com thing band is not a game so it does not fall under that definition.

thanks for the idea i typed in marching band an it came up with this

Main Entry: marching band

Part of Speech: n

Definition: an ensemble of musicians that march in time to the music for entertainment at events and in parades, often with brass, wind, and percussion instruments, drum majors and/or majorettes, and color guard

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No were it there does it call it a sport but it does call it entertainment. Lets hear what yall think

ok i did entertainment to and it came up with this

en·ter·tain·ment (ěn'tər-tān'mənt) Pronunciation Key

n.

The act of entertaining.

The art or field of entertaining.

Something that amuses, pleases, or diverts, especially a performance or show.

The pleasure afforded by being entertained; amusement: The comedian performed for our entertainment.

Archaic Maintenance; support.

Obsolete Employment.

That one is going to be hard to fight

I will just be honest with you all, it really is not a sport, BUTThey are just as active as any sports players out there. Of course, yes there are some sports that are more active than band. Yes, KEV-O, football is more active, but again, I am saying this and will continue to say it because I see what the band goes through, they are just as athletic as any other so called sports. IT IS MORE AN ENTERTAINMENT!!! I will take that.

They still get the crowd more involved with cheering on their teams!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> You have to agree that it does pump the team up more too!!!!!!!!!

I would rather listen to the band any day over the stupid cheerleaders that cant even spell football. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> wow 143 post on the band page. has there ever been a topic go this far on here. Admit it i did get this page going and it definitely got some of you out and posting. Well trademark its been fun talking to ya i always looked forward to replying on this board, and you turned out to be a cool short fat girl /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> just kidding (trying to see if a can get voiceoftherockes to yell at me again) , i had to do it for old times