KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you played with balls??????? I guess the football i played is much different then the football you played.

Wow, you are so awesome. FootBALL is what you are arguing about. The game of footBALL. Which....WOAH....has a BALL in it. So I guess with the addition of football, that makes two of us with balls in this conversation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Anyone who thinks the band sole purpose is to support the team is retarded.... I'm in the band AND I played football, I still love the team and yes the band does come to the games to support them. But that isn't are purpose. Friday nights during halftime is just another practice session for us, we perform our show and then critique it, always improving. I do think band is a sport, no, it isnt as hard as football, not even close. But it IS a sport. During the summer for three weeks marching on the hot pavement from 7 in the morning until 8 at night. an hour for lunch and a couple of 5 minute breaks just so nobody dies. People pass out, people get hurt. I know how hard football is and I wouldnt ever take anything away from it, but for someone who has never marched in a band to come on here and give their opinion, stating "facts" and putting us down...thats just not even right. My band of 90 people has 6 football players, they do both. During halftime they march in their pads. But really, band is a sport and unless u do it just shut up and keep playin' with your balls. Uhmm..ACTUALLY...a few times.

I don't consider it a sport and I have never once put band or band members down. I know how hard you guys work at what you do. It's just that "support of the team" is what gave band as an activity it's stage to become popular on it's own. It's the attitdue of " We're bigger than football" that people have a problem with. I know that's not how most bands are or think but that's how a lot of the posts come across. ( Not yours )

Now, for all that stated band has come a very long way. The more popular it becomes , the more may consider it sport and perception become reality. I won't lose any sleep. I don't mean any disrespect at all in the above paragraph. You'll never read a post from me with that intention.

We have one of the best bands around and I thoroughly enjoy listening to them. I personally view them as artist and entertainers more than athletes. I don't see anything wrong with that classification. Since when is being tagged as an artist or entertainer a bad thing? I think you'll find that majority of kids in band don't care whether they are classified as athletes or not. The results of this poll is close with the slight edge saying it is not a sport. This poll was posted in the "BAND" thread, so obviously it isn't a big issue for most. If you posted this poll on the football thread, it would be 90% not a sport. Bottom line, I think our kids are great and do a valuable service to the school by providing us with one of the most entertaining bands around. We really enjoy the halftime shows and are very proud of the results they have had in competitions. That should be all that matters. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Because we have to memorize 4 songs AND 135 DIFFERENT spots on the field. AND we have to make them look AND sound good. Our show is 15 minutes long.

There you go. 15 minutes as apposed to 60 minutes of football. Someone siad they opened the sports section and actually read about the band. What is the world could they have written? Good job? Last night the Tuba players tripped over the guy blowing the flute? The band director lead the group of nerds on to the field? What could they have written?

And for Pumpkinhead any one that sees band as a sport is retarded. Maybe you are sufferin from severe depression over your lack of athletic ability. So in todays feel good society we tell everyone that what they are doing is a good thing and they are athletic so they feel good about themselves. Well here is the truth. If everyone played band then our society would be made up of a bunch of tree hugging, hippie want-a-be's with very little dscipline. MOST band kids are the ones that used to be referred to as exentric -a term that has been turned to be a good thing now even though it is not. I bet Jeffrey Dalmer and Helter Skelter were in the band.

The biggest difference between band and football is football teaches you about life. So play your flute and be happy buit some day reality will hit.

Man, oh, man!!!! I've been quite now for too long. I have to respond to this last response by cowboys.

I've got news for you, it takes knowledge in whatever you apply yourself at, so to call people nerds, you better look in the mirror. We haven't taken anything away from your sport, so DON'T even start the name calling junk!!!

Remember, Bill Gates (inventor of Microsoft Software),was called the nerd of all nerds and look at him now, the richest man on earth. Whatever you do, GIVE it your all!!!! Most of all seek the Kingdom of God FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!

There you go. 15 minutes as apposed to 60 minutes of football. Someone siad they opened the sports section and actually read about the band. What is the world could they have written? Good job? Last night the Tuba players tripped over the guy blowing the flute? The band director lead the group of nerds on to the field? What could they have written?

And for Pumpkinhead any one that sees band as a sport is retarded. Maybe you are sufferin from severe depression over your lack of athletic ability. So in todays feel good society we tell everyone that what they are doing is a good thing and they are athletic so they feel good about themselves. Well here is the truth. If everyone played band then our society would be made up of a bunch of tree hugging, hippie want-a-be's with very little dscipline. MOST band kids are the ones that used to be referred to as exentric -a term that has been turned to be a good thing now even though it is not. I bet Jeffrey Dalmer and Helter Skelter were in the band.

The biggest difference between band and football is football teaches you about life. So play your flute and be happy buit some day reality will hit.

Yeah, 60 minutes with time outs and water breaks and people to come take over your position when you get too tired to do it. In band you go for 15 hard minutes, no breaks, no time outs...if you get tired, oh well you keep going. Like I said, football IS harder than band, but band is very hard as well. Im in a band of 90 and I don't know one "tree hugging hippie" or anyone that is excentric. Are we nerds? If by nerd you mean we make good grades and don't have teachers give us an A just so we can play a game..then yeah, I guess we are. I've tried football, I liked it....it was hard. I know how it is, thats why I will never say band is even close. But until you march a show with a marching band, just keep your mouth shut and go wish you had a talent besides running a 4.5 40.

Yeah, 60 minutes with time outs and water breaks and people to come take over your position when you get too tired to do it. In band you go for 15 hard minutes, no breaks, no time outs...if you get tired, oh well you keep going. Like I said, football IS harder than band, but band is very hard as well. Im in a band of 90 and I don't know one "tree hugging hippie" or anyone that is excentric. Are we nerds? If by nerd you mean we make good grades and don't have teachers give us an A just so we can play a game..then yeah, I guess we are. I've tried football, I liked it....it was hard. I know how it is, thats why I will never say band is even close. But until you march a show with a marching band, just keep your mouth shut and go wish you had a talent besides running a 4.5 40.

I wished I ran a 4.5 forty. But you proved my point. You get mad when anybody stereotypes band but you turn right around in all your posts and do it to athletes. As far as the breaks. I guess in between songs is not a break? In a band performance it is not full speed!!! It cannot be full speed. Like I have been taught on here band members have to be in a line and certain place. Therefore if someone else's full speed was faster than the others the whole routine would be messed up. If you look a little deeper then you would probably find that the more in shape and better band membeers actually have to slow themselves down and wait on the others in order to maintain the routine. So to say band is all out exercise and conditioning is "retarded"

The band is a lot like professional wrestling. They practice their moves, injuries might happen, and you know what the outcome is going to be. Professional wrestling and play in the band are both entertainment. And that?s the bottom line.

I know what you are getting at in terms of entertainment and I pretty much agree. But Band compared to "professional" wrestling? It isn't a great comparison although it IS funny. Can we imagine the possibilities if band were like wrestling................

--Rimshots off the top rope

--Saber lines putting those sabers to proper use

--Choke slams onto the Vibraphone

--Trombone slides to the back of the head

All while performing a musical show.........now THAT'S entertainment /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I wished I ran a 4.5 forty. But you proved my point. You get mad when anybody stereotypes band but you turn right around in all your posts and do it to athletes. As far as the breaks. I guess in between songs is not a break? In a band performance it is not full speed!!! It cannot be full speed. Like I have been taught on here band members have to be in a line and certain place. Therefore if someone else's full speed was faster than the others the whole routine would be messed up. If you look a little deeper then you would probably find that the more in shape and better band membeers actually have to slow themselves down and wait on the others in order to maintain the routine. So to say band is all out exercise and conditioning is "retarded"

I'll agree with that. You can only go as fast as your slowest member. an with the breaks what about when your sitting up in the stands when your not playing. Band has 15 mins of performing football players have 48 mins of playing. yes there are brakes in those 15 an 48 min's

ok they also show the national Spelling Bee on ESPN to, do you want to call that a sport?

Just because something is shown on ESPN does not make it a sport. ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. Things like the National Spelling Bee, poker, DCI, billiards, and cheerleading are for entertainment.