Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

Oh yeah, you started this thread to see what people thought of band being a sport. YES, I THINK BAND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A SPORT. It is nice though not having to really worry about all of the TSSAA rules. So, if it means having to start being under the TSSAA, keep it as it is known, a PERFORMING ART!!!!!!! I'll still be happy because whatever catagory it is in, I love marching bands. They add so much to a Friday night ball game!!! Yes, I like both a whole lot!!!!!!!! Again, this is MY opinion and YOU did start this thread. Thanks.

I have to respond to this...please note that I was involved in both football and band in HS; and am actively involved in the band activity at the top level...as well as an avid sports fan.

Marching band is an art with a heavy physical component that has been proven to match the exertion level of world-class sprinters. At the top levels of the band and drum corps activity the amount of physical activity matches the best of collegiate and pro athletes..and they do not bend over and scratch, spit, and pant after each show. (The study quoted is from Indiana University's SPORTS MEDICINE department.) You have to be in shape in order to perform the top-end contemporary shows in the better groups; and the practice schedule is more daunting than most sports' groups...and they also perform Saturdays as well as Fridays.

Indeed...I have seen football coaches actively recruit band members for their teams...for their conditioning and attitude. I take that as a compliment, not competition.

As there is a certain amount of art in sports (and how many times have you heard of pro athletes taking BALLET to help their footwork?..A lot...) as there is a lot of sport in today's marching music groups.

Having said that; in Texas the UIL (who is the similar component of TSSAA in TX) also sanctions the marching band activity in TX...with mixed results, grant you. For this reason I would not want band to be considered a sport. As messed-up as TSSAA is here; the last thing that needs to happen is for them to have anything to do with band. (And I have personally known both the present and the previous directors of the TSSAA..not a reflection on them.)

In short, it is apples and oranges...with a tad bit of cross-pollenization...

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to respond to this...please note that I was involved in both football and band in HS; and am actively involved in the band activity at the top level...as well as an avid sports fan.

Marching band is an art with a heavy physical component that has been proven to match the exertion level of world-class sprinters. At the top levels of the band and drum corps activity the amount of physical activity matches the best of collegiate and pro athletes..and they do not bend over and scratch, spit, and pant after each show. (The study quoted is from Indiana University's SPORTS MEDICINE department.) You have to be in shape in order to perform the top-end contemporary shows in the better groups; and the practice schedule is more daunting than most sports' groups...and they also perform Saturdays as well as Fridays.

Indeed...I have seen football coaches actively recruit band members for their teams...for their conditioning and attitude. I take that as a compliment, not competition.

As there is a certain amount of art in sports (and how many times have you heard of pro athletes taking BALLET to help their footwork?..A lot...) as there is a lot of sport in today's marching music groups.

Having said that; in Texas the UIL (who is the similar component of TSSAA in TX) also sanctions the marching band activity in TX...with mixed results, grant you. For this reason I would not want band to be considered a sport. As messed-up as TSSAA is here; the last thing that needs to happen is for them to have anything to do with band. (And I have personally known both the present and the previous directors of the TSSAA..not a reflection on them.)

In short, it is apples and oranges...with a tad bit of cross-pollenization...

One of the very best posts in this thread.

I am a band member at cascade high school and i am tired of ppl saying we are not athletic and that we dont compete 1.WE DO COMPETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF COMPETITIONS !!!!!!!!!!! 2.WE ARE ATHLETIC WE WORK AS HARD AS THE FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!

ya and i guess that when your tuba players go out to march they have to line up and work out before they can play..and i guess that every comp you have a guy or two taken off the feild because of injury, and i guess that band kids go and lift weights every day and try to stay in shape. ok well i think i have proven my point.

sports non sports

1) football 1) BAND

2) soccer 2)CHEERLEADING

3)baseball 3)MASCOT

4) rodeo 4)

5)basketball

well i really cant think of anything else..can you??????

ya and i guess that when your tuba players go out to march they have to line up and work out before they can play..and i guess that every comp you have a guy or two taken off the feild because of injury, and i guess that band kids go and lift weights every day and try to stay in shape. ok well i think i have proven my point.

Actually, you do not have a clue.

The competitive bands I work for DO strech, work out and run before they even start practice; there have been collisions and injuries in high-velocity drill moves (including broken bones and concussions..); and in many sections (especially percussion and guard) there are conditioning sessions that are so hard-core that it would make most athletes collapse. I guarantee that most people could NOT make it through those sessions.

So I would be very careful Hoglover. The only thing you have proven in your flame is your teenage ignorance. I would suggest you spend your time in the books and not on the boards.

As I said in the other post all you have to do is answer this question. What is the purpose of the band? They are there to support the football team. There whole existance is based on the football team. yes they work hard and practice lots of hours but they are in no way a sport. It is this simple if you can walk and chew gum at the same time then you can be in the band. But that doesn't make walking and chewing gum a sport. Are bands important. I would say yes it gives fans motivation to get out of there seats and go to the concession stand so they don't have to look at the crap. I think we have watered down the word "athleticism" walking does not make you an athlete. Walking and blowing a horn does not make you an athlete. Has anyone ever thought why band members want to be considered a sport? It is because they want to be an athlete and band is their only chance. They can't cut it in football or any other true sport. Life is harsh and not everyone is cut out to be an athlete. That is why schools allow bands so that they feel apart of the school. When you report to band camp there are no physical tests. If you know the schools fight song then you are in.

Anyone who thinks the band sole purpose is to support the team is retarded.... I'm in the band AND I played football, I still love the team and yes the band does come to the games to support them. But that isn't are purpose. Friday nights during halftime is just another practice session for us, we perform our show and then critique it, always improving. I do think band is a sport, no, it isnt as hard as football, not even close. But it IS a sport. During the summer for three weeks marching on the hot pavement from 7 in the morning until 8 at night. an hour for lunch and a couple of 5 minute breaks just so nobody dies. People pass out, people get hurt. I know how hard football is and I wouldnt ever take anything away from it, but for someone who has never marched in a band to come on here and give their opinion, stating "facts" and putting us down...thats just not even right. My band of 90 people has 6 football players, they do both. During halftime they march in their pads. But really, band is a sport and unless u do it just shut up and keep playin' with your balls. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

agree /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> for you band people how many times have you looked in the news paper an went to the sport section an saw the band in there................ any takers

Uhmm..ACTUALLY...a few times.

Anyone who thinks the band sole purpose is to support the team is retarded.... I'm in the band AND I played football, I still love the team and yes the band does come to the games to support them. But that isn't are purpose. Friday nights during halftime is just another practice session for us, we perform our show and then critique it, always improving. I do think band is a sport, no, it isnt as hard as football, not even close. But it IS a sport. During the summer for three weeks marching on the hot pavement from 7 in the morning until 8 at night. an hour for lunch and a couple of 5 minute breaks just so nobody dies. People pass out, people get hurt. I know how hard football is and I wouldnt ever take anything away from it, but for someone who has never marched in a band to come on here and give their opinion, stating "facts" and putting us down...thats just not even right. My band of 90 people has 6 football players, they do both. During halftime they march in their pads. But really, band is a sport and unless u do it just shut up and keep playin' with your balls. Uhmm..ACTUALLY...a few times.

And on ESPN The World Wide Leader in SPORTS