Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

geeeze....i went in to like detail writing it out for you!! i even put it in to football terms

honestly kev-o you are too stuck on being right...

and i hope you read that entire post i did before this one because i only told the truth

and yes, we are musicians...musicians doing a physical, enduring activity

i did read what you wrote but your are saying the same thing everyone else is saying. An you guys are not "stuck on being right" like i said im not going to change your mind an your not going to change mine. you said it yourself right there YOU ARE MUSICIANS just doing PHYSICAL, ENDURING ACTIVITY'S your not playing a sport

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what you continue to reference to: "blah blah we practice and do 3-a-days in 100 degree heat". Everyone practices.

And by your definition of sport, skateboarding, blading, surfing, diving, figure skating, bobsledding, diving (for the most part, Olympic events), and many other activities aren't sports.

Oh, and by the way, I would hardly call debating with someone "crying".

All valid reasons why the Olympics stink

Really, let's talk Curling. Now there is a sport of kings. Yeah, thanks for that Scotland

I have really been entertained by these posts. First of all, BAND IS A SPORT!!!! They are also an ART!!!! They are also an ENTERTAINMENT!!!! KEV-O, I've never seen a football game too entertaining with the team playing by themselves. Just getting you going!!! I do feel that any student that can keep the grade and do extra curricular activities is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Whether you call it a sport or not. You are gifted in what you do whether baseball, soccer, football, band, cheerleading, color guard, etc. Be proud of who you are whatever SPORT you play or compete in. For the entertianment

quote:

I do feel that any student that can keep the grade and do extra curricular activities is GREAT!

................................................................................

Let's not lose sight of what school is for. Most jocks at the h.s. level won't see the light of day of playing at the college level (not a major college anyway)...so keeping the academics in order to have good things later in life is REALLY important. Most h.s. marching band players won't play in a major college marching program or as a pro musician later in life...so keeping the academics strong is important for them as well.

The thing is for everybody to try hard to do a good job at whatever activity and also have a good time.

There is NOTHING good about being a slacker in school.

quote:

I do feel that any student that can keep the grade and do extra curricular activities is GREAT!

................................................................................

Let's not lose sight of what school is for. Most jocks at the h.s. level won't see the light of day of playing at the college level (not a major college anyway)...so keeping the academics in order to have good things later in life is REALLY important. Most h.s. marching band players won't play in a major college marching program or as a pro musician later in life...so keeping the academics strong is important for them as well.

The thing is for everybody to try hard to do a good job at whatever activity and also have a good time.

There is NOTHING good about being a slacker in school.

there are ALOT of pro marching bands and musicians look up The Cavaliers they have a PRO band of more than 100 ppl and they are really good

I was invited to go to watch DCI last month! (but had prior plans that night)

If that is your goal, work hard and you just might make it.

But just like sports, no guarantees...so keep those grades up.

I heard something about a DCI competition on ESPN-2 soon, so for all the anti-band people...

***********How about THOSE apples?!?!?!*******

I was invited to go to watch DCI last month! (but had prior plans that night)

If that is your goal, work hard and you just might make it.

But just like sports, no guarantees...so keep those grades up.

I heard something about a DCI competition on ESPN-2 soon, so for all the anti-band people...

***********How about THOSE apples?!?!?!*******

To not call band a sport isn't being anti-band, friend. No, I really don't consider band a sport and that is in no way being disrespectful. It's popular on it's own and thusly the ESPN exposure. Now, I was the first to bring up ESPN picking up the rights to broadcast DCI Worlds. They also broadcast the World Series of Poker and Scripp's National Spelling Bee. Neither are sports but both are competitions and draw ratings. I'm by no means comparing Band to those two but just pointing out that this isn't the ESPN of 10-to-15 years ago. It's not a question of what is or isn't a true sport anymore. ESPN isn't stupid. They see a market. It's all about one thing.

Bands are great. Football is great. Some like both. Some like neither.

I have really been entertained by these posts. First of all, BAND IS A SPORT!!!! They are also an ART!!!! They are also an ENTERTAINMENT!!!! KEV-O, I've never seen a football game too entertaining with the team playing by themselves. Just getting you going!!! I do feel that any student that can keep the grade and do extra curricular activities is GREAT!!!!!!!!! Whether you call it a sport or not. You are gifted in what you do whether baseball, soccer, football, band, cheerleading, color guard, etc. Be proud of who you are whatever SPORT you play or compete in. For the entertianment

i have seen an entertaining football game with the teams playing by themselves

As I said in the other post all you have to do is answer this question. What is the purpose of the band? They are there to support the football team. There whole existance is based on the football team. yes they work hard and practice lots of hours but they are in no way a sport. It is this simple if you can walk and chew gum at the same time then you can be in the band. But that doesn't make walking and chewing gum a sport. Are bands important. I would say yes it gives fans motivation to get out of there seats and go to the concession stand so they don't have to look at the crap. I think we have watered down the word "athleticism" walking does not make you an athlete. Walking and blowing a horn does not make you an athlete. Has anyone ever thought why band members want to be considered a sport? It is because they want to be an athlete and band is their only chance. They can't cut it in football or any other true sport. Life is harsh and not everyone is cut out to be an athlete. That is why schools allow bands so that they feel apart of the school. When you report to band camp there are no physical tests. If you know the schools fight song then you are in.

As I said in the other post all you have to do is answer this question. What is the purpose of the band? They are there to support the football team. There whole existance is based on the football team. yes they work hard and practice lots of hours but they are in no way a sport. It is this simple if you can walk and chew gum at the same time then you can be in the band. But that doesn't make walking and chewing gum a sport. Are bands important. I would say yes it gives fans motivation to get out of there seats and go to the concession stand so they don't have to look at the crap. I think we have watered down the word "athleticism" walking does not make you an athlete. Walking and blowing a horn does not make you an athlete. Has anyone ever thought why band members want to be considered a sport? It is because they want to be an athlete and band is their only chance. They can't cut it in football or any other true sport. Life is harsh and not everyone is cut out to be an athlete. That is why schools allow bands so that they feel apart of the school. When you report to band camp there are no physical tests. If you know the schools fight song then you are in.

I would say that you would be great in the band....YOU BLOW ALOT OF HOT AIR!!!!!!!

You are also very entertaining. You could probally be a good athlete....you do alot of running.....at the mouth!!!

agree for you band people how many times have you looked in the news paper an went to the sport section an saw the band in there................ any takers