KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are an idiot. And you are right I was an athlete that is why I wasn't in band. And as you say I may blow a lot air but I will take that anyday over what you blow.

Your right. I blow your MIND on the idea that band members are very athletic whether YOU or anybody else call it a sport or not!!! I love to get you guys going. It gives us something to reply to. Have a blessed day there cowboys. At least you know how to pick a good NFL team as your name.

Your right. I blow your MIND on the idea that band members are very athletic whether YOU or anybody else call it a sport or not!!! I love to get you guys going. It gives us something to reply to. Have a blessed day there cowboys. At least you know how to pick a good NFL team as your name. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Being in shape and being athletic are two different things. I'm quite confident everyone in band is in shape but not all have athletic ability. In terms of if it's a sport or not I've already expressed my opinion so instead of beating a dead horse allow me to put this thread to rest..........pick whatever side you will.

Band is/is not a sport

I wouldn't say band is a physical activity, a physical activity is football, hockey, etc.......... since when have you heard of a band member getting knocked out or there nose broken or anything, maybe a twisted ankle from stepping on the water sprinklers on the filed but thats about it.

I would say its not a recreation ether, you see kids going out to a park or anything an do a show, but you do see them going out to a park to play football an stuff.

Man Kev, he got you on that one...I guess you thing track isn't a physical activity either or golf...i mean unless a cross country twists an ankle and falls they aren't likely to get a broken nose....

Okay, I have to ask this. What makes CHEERLEADING a sport? That makes no sense. I know this thread is talking about band, but I did look at the TSSAA and there it was. Now if cheering can be considered a sport, I KNOW BAND IS MORE OF A SPORT THAN THAT whether it is called a sport or not!!!!! Come on KEV-O and cowboys, I know you want to respond to that question. You must be good friends or know each other pretty good.

Nope dont know him or her. Me, i would not consider cheerleading a sport but i dont write the books. I think the reason T$$AA does not consider band a sport because it not a sport an the fact you use an instrument.

Nope dont know him or her. Me, i would not consider cheerleading a sport but i dont write the books. I think the reason T$$AA does not consider band a sport because it not a sport an the fact you use an instrument.

Well I would not say that using and instrument makes it not a sport. Some of the instruments they use are ALOT heavier than a football, basketball, baseball, golf club, etc. I really do think that they are very athletic in the ART of band even if you or anybody else like TSSAA does not think it is a "sport". That's okay though, we are in a league of our own. Maybe somebody has a logical answer to why cheering is but band isn't. Thanks anyway!!!!

Well I would not say that using and instrument makes it not a sport. Some of the instruments they use are ALOT heavier than a football, basketball, baseball, golf club, etc. I really do think that they are very athletic in the ART of band even if you or anybody else like TSSAA does not think it is a "sport". That's okay though, we are in a league of our own. Maybe somebody has a logical answer to why cheering is but band isn't. Thanks anyway!!!!

Band walks a fine line. Those who engage in the activity must be in shape but not all have what has been come to be understood in the sports community as athletic ability. The problem some people have with band and cheerleading being called sports lies with thier origin. Here you have two activities who grew along with football as a supportive effort to the team and getting the community excited. Marching bands actually have been around longer than cheerleaders due to the roots in military bands but both MB and cheer as we think of them had there beginnings supporting football in the 1880's. The sports fan sees this scenario. Here you have these two groups , knowing their backgrounds, and each decide to begin holding competitions among themselves in addidtion to supporting football. Now, many years later you have these groups seeing themselves eqaul to football and demanding equal respect as a sport an how dare anyone see differently. That just doesn't sit well with many people.

Do I personally consider cheerleading a sport? Not really. Just as with band I don't mean to imply that hard work and dedication is required and thusly come across in disrespect but in my eyes any "sport" where one performs a show or routine and success or failure is determined by the opinion of a panel of judges. To me that rules out band, cheerleading, ice skating, dance, etc. You can even throw diving in there even though it isn't a performance or routine. I've read opinions of those who say that all sports have judges it's just that they are called refs or umpires and that they too can directly affect the outcome. Let me clarify. Yes, a referee or umpire can directly affect an outcome but they never should. The best officials to the job and you hardly know they are there. This is opposed to a " judged" sport where absolutly everything is riding on the various judges' interpretation of how well or poorly someone did. Let's say you place poorly in a band competition. You may feel slighted or heck, even flat out cheated but that's the way it's decided so you move on. It doesn't happen nearly as much as overzealous fans would admit but when you can tell an official clearly decided the outcome of a game of basketball, you feel robbed of the chance to win. Why? Because it's the officials job to judge who is/ who is not following the rules of the sport during gameplay, not to decide who he/she thought played better and award a victory.

Finally, you're asking someone to provide you insight into T$$AA logic? Good luck with that one my friend /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

T$$AA logic = oxymoron

Okay, I have to ask this. What makes CHEERLEADING a sport? That makes no sense. I know this thread is talking about band, but I did look at the TSSAA and there it was. Now if cheering can be considered a sport, I KNOW BAND IS MORE OF A SPORT THAN THAT whether it is called a sport or not!!!!! Come on KEV-O and cowboys, I know you want to respond to that question. You must be good friends or know each other pretty good.

I would consider cheerleading an athletic activity not a sport. The reason it is considered that to TSSAA is because there is no other category to put it. It cannot be considered a fine art. If it has a coach then it must be governed. So it falls under TSSAA.