Is the marching band a sport

KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

My opinion is that it is not a sport. My only problem with putting band on the same level as football or soccer is that you can pretty easily do band with almost no ATHLETIC ability. Yes, you must be conditioned, but in almost no way is ATHLETIC ability useful in marching band. Yes, I've seen band members have to hit their spots, yes, I realize they play for 8-10 MINUTES at a time, but just as football has the time between plays, you guys have "Park and Blow" or really slow walking. It's not like you're running the whole time, unless you're grambling state's band, which I would really consider more of a branch of the military than a sport. Anyway, the point is that.......I mean really, have you seen some of the people in the average marching band? They probably couldn't beat the average junior high kid in a game of bball much less run the miles and take the bone crunching hits it takes to play football. I'm sorry, but much of the reason that band is looked so lowly upon is because there are a lot of complainers from that camp. Always complaining about how you dont get the respect you think you deserve. my advice: Grow some, SUCKIT UP, and ACTUALLY GO OUT THERE AND EARN THE RESPECT! Complaining makes you look like 2 year olds.

To the poster from cascade: I just had to include this in there cuz i dont feel that you took enough flak for all those naive posts. You say you have a cousin who plays, and have talked to people who play football. My question is, In what way does that at all replace actually getting out there and doing it? how can you convey all the hard work we do in a simple conversation? YES, IVE DONE BOTH!!! Band and football. Part of the problem could be that you are up there at tiny little cascade, and don't know what a real football team looks like. My advice: come down here to Lincoln County and we'll show you one. The only problem is that we would never play yall, because we like competition.

I must address you're last comment first. It's funny.

The only way they're going to see a real football team in Lincoln County is if they go back several years. Back when they were pretty good and had respect throughout. Unless a time machine is invented rather quickly, that's not going happen. Apparently you haven't seen LC's team the last couple of years. It's a miracle they won region this year but as long as they have the attitudes most have now..the not caring and what-not...Lincoln County won't have another REAL football team for a while to come. The truth hurts!

On to the actual band stuff-

Could you honestly say such things to your own school's band? Could you go to one of the band's practices and tell all of us what you've said above in person?

Now, I could say "Grow some, suckit up, and give the band respect!" but I'm not going to. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The band doesn't claim football isn't a sport and we give the team respect; therefore, you should give us respect, and stop saying that marching band isn't a sport. After all, if chess, golf, and eating hot dogs are sports, then band is too.

Good day/night, Merry Christmas, and Go Falcons!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must address you're last comment first. It's funny.

The only way they're going to see a real football team in Lincoln County is if they go back several years. Back when they were pretty good and had respect throughout. Unless a time machine is invented rather quickly, that's not going happen. Apparently you haven't seen LC's team the last couple of years. It's a miracle they won region this year but as long as they have the attitudes most have now..the not caring and what-not...Lincoln County won't have another REAL football team for a while to come. The truth hurts!

On to the actual band stuff-

Could you honestly say such things to your own school's band? Could you go to one of the band's practices and tell all of us what you've said above in person?

Now, I could say "Grow some, suckit up, and give the band respect!" but I'm not going to. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The band doesn't claim football isn't a sport and we give the team respect; therefore, you should give us respect, and stop saying that marching band isn't a sport. After all, if chess, golf, and eating hot dogs are sports, then band is too.

Good day/night, Merry Christmas, and Go Falcons!

Whoah. Time out I'm gonna address all this one at a time.

First off, I l know the girl that fell and broke her ankle. You conveniently left out that nobody likes her, she complains all the time and milks it for all its worth. Even morjal has gotten on her case about it. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> also, if you're talking about the most recently departed director at LCHS, that doesn't surprise me in the least. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> However, the point is taken. Injuries occur, however with much less frequency.

Second, yes the band is less priveledged. BECAUSE THEY GROSS LESS MONEY. Imagine that. More money = more stuff. you said it yourself, sometimes the truth hurts. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Third, yes, your point is also taken. Your band really does "Tough it out." Morjal has done wonders about that. Great contrast to years past. *cough*

Fourth, you are speaking from ignorance. You have never played high school football. I have however been in marching band.

Fifth, If you really need us to take it easy on you, you must truly be inferior to request such an indignity. /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

Sixth, I was a starter all 3 years of high school on those teams you mention as bad. Never a losing season. You misconstrue my comments toward CERTAIN MEMBERS of the band, then turn around and say even worse things yourself about the football team. My question is, how can you say those things about YOUR football team? Its not MY band. I'm long gone. Graduated.

Seventh, my comments were not directed at the band as a whole. Only those who make a habit of unjustly whining and complaining. Try actually reading my posts. Life's not fair. Get over it. And yes, I would say those things at a practice, but your auspicious band director would shoot me if I tried. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Finally, I am of the belief that competitive band is a sport, however not on the same plane as the contact sports. This is not disrespect to the band, it is simply a classification. I am not for an instant suggesting that the band is inferior. I know it's alot to ask, but this point is merely a rehash of what has already been covered previously in this thread and the other thread of the same topic. Go read them.

thanks for the idea i typed in marching band an it came up with this

Main Entry: marching band

Part of Speech: n

Definition: an ensemble of musicians that march in time to the music for entertainment at events and in parades, often with brass, wind, and percussion instruments, drum majors and/or majorettes, and color guard

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No were it there does it call it a sport but it does call it entertainment. Lets hear what yall think

I think this is one of the most valid posts on this topic (besides mine.... /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />). Everything has to be a sport these days.....sheesh.....What's next?? Playstation, XBox, Nintendo, Hot Dog Eating Contest???? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

To me, marching band is a sport. Of course, I'm a band member and I have done two years of marching band. You have to be pretty tough at my school to stand band camp. It isn't just trudging around on a field with instruments in your hands. I don't know about other schools, but our band puts in just as much time as the football team. Heck, we even consider our football team lucky. They get cool grass to practice on...we have hot asphalt for ten hours a day (during camp). Yes, we compete. HOWEVER...a football team, after making a mistake, can always do something to counter that mistake. They get another shot at it. In band, you get one shot...one run...if you mess up..there's no fixing it and the judges will deduct points like mad. Getting hurt? Oh yes! We had a guard member fall and break her ankle. We've had a guard girl get a minor concussion because she got hit with a flag during a set where they moved really close together. When flanking, if you don't do it right, you're gonna hurt yourself. It does take some athleticism to march. If you're outta shape, marching in the summer in thick uniforms, playing for ten minutes straight will wear you out. And, if you wanna talk worse injury and toughness...my old band director marched for Alabama. She got hit in the back of the head by a trombone player, knocked her front teeth out, and had to keep playing with blood running down her face and uniform. Football teams-they get a locker room. Bands-we get the shade trees. Football team-nice bottle of gatorade. Band-little measly cup of water. Football team-uniforms that don't absorb heat(unless they're black). Bands-uniforms absorb heat. Football team-one game against one team...four hours tops...with breaks and at night. Band-one competition again up to twenty other bands...up to twelve hours...breaks...but during the day and outside on bleachers. Football team-plays to memorize. Band-usually a hundred plus drill sets to memorize plus music.

The band does a lot more than most people think. Yah, we are musicians and yah, we are considered performing arts. You might say, "The football team lifts weights." Well, the band carries around instruments and holds them up for up to fifteen mintutes straight during a performance and then sometimes, longer during practice.

So...you can say it isn't a sport...that's your opinion and I don't give a rip. but I say it's a sport and should be given more respect than it is. We take a lot of crap too. So don't say we've got it easy..at least not in Lincoln County. Our band toughs it out..rain or shine...thunder and lightening...cold and snow. You go pick up a sousaphone or baritone and march two or three miles in a parade playing in the cold with uniforms that freeze you and thin gloves and tell me it doesn't take as much as strength and agility as a football player. If you sau it doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

There you go. Have a nice day and Merry Christmas.

And before I forget...football players should take it easy on band members. Look at band members stats. Most are more successful than football players.

OK. Marching band is not a sport. I can say that and it be valid because im in the band. I love the band prolly more than you do but im adult enough to recognize and assess that band is not a sport. Actually, it has a category all its own. WHY do you insist on grouping it among the common sports???!!!! If you r gonna be in the band, why not accept that you are in a great, beneficial organization rather than shamelessly searching for some way to fit in with what you believe people idolize.

Now, in reference to band in relation to football. Football players work harder than we do. Sorry, but the truth hurts. Sure, we work hard and harder than most bands around, but football is a whole different story. Seeing as how i have never played football, im not gonna be presumptious and try to talk intelligently on the various difficulties of football. However, i am confident enough in the WONDERFUL organization i have chosen to be a part of that i dont need to compare it to sports or anything else in order to be comfortable with my life choices and place on the social ladder. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Also, about the chick that broke her ankle, it has been said that she simply tripped over her own flag. I dont know, i wasn't there, but you can check that. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I also say that the band does more than people think. We memorize music and multi-task, and practice a lot and do competitions. And again, i appreciate my band more than any other extra-curricular activity i could ever be in. I really do.

Have you noticed football players' weight lifting shirts? They start at 200. A band instrument doesnt weigh THAT much. lol. Band involves discipline, dedication, and determination. But not generally getting hit pretty violently and practices under coach thompson of lincoln county. You have to be somewhat physically capable to be in marching band but not quite agile. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And as far as football players takin it easy and not raggin on band members, it doesnt matter what they say. I think we should be able to suckit up and take it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

sorry if ive been unnecessarily rude. I just have my passionate and generally sensible opinions.

I think this video will help this discussion a bit. I personally don't think high school band is a sport. I enjoy watching our band. We have a great band. I used to be in band. I'm not anymore. I don't think it is a sport until you reach Drum Corps level. Then, it is without a doubt a sport. I can kind of see both sides of the argument. Band is more demanding than people think. But still, it's not the full on everyday physical contact sport. As Lcband10 said, there is no reason for band to desire to be a sport. You are unique. I do think people should give the band more credit though, because they do work hard, and get exhausted. But yeah, watch this video, and I think you will respect the band kids more. These people are without a doubt athletes.

I think this video will help this discussion a bit. I personally don't think high school band is a sport. I enjoy watching our band. We have a great band. I used to be in band. I'm not anymore. I don't think it is a sport until you reach Drum Corps level. Then, it is without a doubt a sport. I can kind of see both sides of the argument. Band is more demanding than people think. But still, it's not the full on everyday physical contact sport. As Lcband10 said, there is no reason for band to desire to be a sport. You are unique. I do think people should give the band more credit though, because they do work hard, and get exhausted. But yeah, watch this video, and I think you will respect the band kids more. These people are without a doubt athletes.

How can you call them athletes. At DCI level they are all in great shape but there is nothing athletic about the marching band. They are in good shape an very talented. Your local High School band is no were near that kind of shape. Have a high school band an a high school football team running wind sprints an i will bet you 85-90% of the football team would finish before the bands best runner. Dont get me wrong i know how hard yall work but being in athletic shape is alot different then being in good shape

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Fine! I give up! I withdraw SOME of my statements. Band members still have it pretty rough, but I've decided we are on a much higher level than football players. Though, I'm sure you'll argue that too.I'm sick of such ignorance on this topic. The only true arguments that have made any sense on here are those by Lc68 and SCHSBisonPride. The rest just don't bother me. And the truth does hurt...sometimes. Frankly, none of the above hurt me. I don't know about the rest of you. I've learned to take this. You tend to when you are picked on your entire life.

Lcband10-

See you Sunday at the parade. I shall find out who you are. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I still think you should all respect the band more than you do.

No, I've heard the argument; I do not consider band a sport any longer. It's its own league...above football.

And Lc68...I must thank you for such worthy arguments and using correct grammer and spelling. It's nice to see that you still have band geek in you. All the football players I've spoken to cannot do that for some reason. Whether it be they would rather use the shortened words and abbreviations for things or they just can't spell or write. Thank you, again.

To everyone else:

My opinion is known; now, I am departing to other threads to find conversations I can make known more of the things I have witnessed.

Au revoir and bon chance. Merry Christmas.

Oh, and...who in the world came up with "stinkfaced". That makes no sense at all.

How can you call them athletes. At DCI level they are all in great shape but there is nothing athletic about the marching band. They are in good shape an very talented. Your local High School band is no were near that kind of shape. Have a high school band an a high school football team running wind sprints an i will bet you 85-90% of the football team would finish before the bands best runner. Dont get me wrong i know how hard yall work but being in athletic shape is alot different then being in good shape

Eh, not true. Most of them start off the summer not in shape and end up in great shape, obviously for being outside in the hot summer sun for 12 hours, day in and day out, and doing several shows a week. Ask any corps director and they will tell you about all the cardio workouts they do. And that was exactly my point. That high school band is no where near that level, and you only reach the "sport level" fitness from everyone in the group when you get into DCI. In high school bands there are those in good shape, but you've got people that aren't in great shape. In corps, everyone ends up in pretty good. shape, and could do those wind sprints with the football team.

But you and I are agreeing on this, if you would care to read my post carefully. I do not think high school band is a sport. They work hard yes, there is no doubt about it. Like I said, I used to be in band. I know first hand. But as far as being a sport? Band doesn't have a long list of rules and penalties, where a certain number of yards (or in the band's case points) get deducted for specific mistakes. Scores vary week to week with the band. One week they may get 1 point deducted for something and the next week it be 5. A lot of band judging is based on opinion. in football, you either cross the line for a touchdown or you don't. you either kick the ball through the uprights or you don't. There is no in between. the refs can't say, "I don't like how you threw the ball, so I'm taking off 2 points." In band, you can't play defense. You can just do your show, and hope that the other band don't do it better than you. There is no way for you to make their job harder. There is no way you can keep other bands from outscoring you.

I like to watch the band, I enjoy the band, I'm glad the band is there to help with that Friday night atmosphere. I know they work hard. I know not everyone could survive a band camp because it is difficult.. It is physical. It is emotional. It is mental. It is hard to do everything they have to do all at once. However, it is not a "sport". But I don't see what the big fuss is about. Why DO band kids always want to be in that classification? If you want to be a sport, play a sport. When I was in band, I wouldn't have wanted to be called a sport. It is a thing all it's own that I believe is very respectable. so the football team and players shouldn't be so hard on the band. they do work hard. They aren't all little wimps. They just aren't ALL what I would call athletes.

NO, it doesn't take any athletic ability to play an instrument in my opinion. I guess they have to practice, but that doesn't really mean anything.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Your right practice does not mean a thing. People practice tying your shoe that does not make it a sport.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Fine! I give up! I withdraw SOME of my statements. Band members still have it pretty rough, but I've decided we are on a much higher level than football players. Though, I'm sure you'll argue that too.I'm sick of such ignorance on this topic. The only true arguments that have made any sense on here are those by Lc68 and SCHSBisonPride. The rest just don't bother me. And the truth does hurt...sometimes. Frankly, none of the above hurt me. I don't know about the rest of you. I've learned to take this. You tend to when you are picked on your entire life.

Lcband10-

See you Sunday at the parade. I shall find out who you are. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

No, I've heard the argument; I do not consider band a sport any longer. It's its own league...above football.

And Lc68...I must thank you for such worthy arguments and using correct grammer and spelling. It's nice to see that you still have band geek in you. All the football players I've spoken to cannot do that for some reason. Whether it be they would rather use the shortened words and abbreviations for things or they just can't spell or write. Thank you, again.

To everyone else:

My opinion is known; now, I am departing to other threads to find conversations I can make known more of the things I have witnessed.

Oh, and...who in the world came up with "stinkfaced". That makes no sense at all.

Thank you. Yes, I take pride in my grammar. You want to think it's above football, thats fine. I quit band specifically to play football, and loved every minute of it, and my girl will have a funny story for you on that one. Band was OK, but it just doesn't have the perks. not here, not in the big LC, where football is king and Matt Moran is a god. Strength, agility, perseverance, endurance, and yes, INTELLIGENCE. Thats football in a nutshell. And stinkface came from the WWF, it was the signature move of RaKishi. He wore a sumo-wrestler outfit. You can guess what the move entails. We've just taken it for our use, since RaKishi got stunkfaced and retired years ago.

Lcband10-

To everyone else:

Ok falconbandgeek. Now that we have established the characters in this little play/discussion, i wanna say that I do indeed respect the band more than anything. Not to be sentimental or anything, but the band has saved me from numerous undesirable situations. It is a family, friendship, and a benefit in every way. I have and will put all my time into the best thing that has ever happened to me and i do respect us.

Now, I admire the concessions you have made in light of valid arguments.

Also, i would like to say that it took you longer than just the parade to figure me out. heehee. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />