KEV-O

Is the marching band a sport?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Is the marching band a sport?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a band member at cascade high school and i am tired of ppl saying we are not athletic and that we dont compete 1.WE DO COMPETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF COMPETITIONS !!!!!!!!!!! 2.WE ARE ATHLETIC WE WORK AS HARD AS THE FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!

Oh really so how do you concider blowing something a sport? Its not its a performing art not a sport so you can quit concidering yourself an athlete

• 3 months later...

with a screen name like that you must be a North Greene white trash redneck that just got power to his trailer an just learned how to use a computer. Read both the post you replied to here.

So your saying that going around blowing a piece of metal is a sport well just keep on thinking that cause thats the furthest thing from a sport!

THE GUY SAID IT WAS NOT A SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well at least you can feel like an athlete because band really isn't a sport but you can keep thinking that you are.

This is the post you replied to "Have fun with band while you can watch people that do hard work out there on the field while you toot your whistles."

This person is NOT in the band and is in fact bashing the band to. YOU TO ARE ON THE SAME TEAM.

Oh an P.S. i would not call North Greene football a sport ether. I would call it a JOKE and an insult to the real football teams in Greene Co.

From Dictionary.com

Main Entry: marching band

Part of Speech: n

Definition: an ensemble of musicians that march in time to the music for entertainment at events and in parades, often with brass, wind, and percussion instruments, drum majors and/or majorettes, and color guard

---------------------------------------------------------

I didn't see sport in there

This is also from Dictionary.com, The word is Performing Arts

per·form·ing arts (pər-f?r'mĭng)

pl.n. Arts, such as dance, drama, and music, that are performed before an audience.

im a band kid and i say high school marching band is a performing art. an intense one. DCI is definately in the sport category. its on its own level.

tricity what corps did you march??!!

Hmmm...marching band and drum corps have some differences but share the same purpose. I think both are performing arts, not sports.

No, no, no... marching band is not a sport. It is no more a sport than football is a musical event. Why don't these band boosters just be proud of what they do & not try to make it into something it isn't? Nobody is trying to say it isn't difficult at times, but get the chip off your shoulder and enjoy it for what it is - a musical endeavor. There is nothing athletic to it.

No, no, no... marching band is not a sport. It is no more a sport than football is a musical event. Why don't these band boosters just be proud of what they do & not try to make it into something it isn't? Nobody is trying to say it isn't difficult at times, but get the chip off your shoulder and enjoy it for what it is - a musical endeavor. There is nothing athletic to it.

Good post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Boy Kev-o, you sure know how to make friends /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok, here is my two cents worth.

Bands and color guards take a lot of hard work and it takes skill. However, in the case if bands, that skill isn't of an athletic nature. I said," athletic" and not " endurance". Band is a competition but not an athletic competition which most I believe the basis of sports . Band takes a great deal musical ability, coordination, and endurance which I repect but that just doesn't make it a sport.

Now, what I think is important is people need to stop gettin bent out of shape because band isn't seen as a sport. So what? As some have noted, it generates a great deal of interest. DCI brings in people from all over the world to compete and lots of poeple enjoy it. Band not being a sport in most eyes isn't a slap in the face. It doesn't make it unimportant.

Chill out /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Perfect.

I have played the Saxophone and drums (as well as 12 other wind instruments) for many years. I went to college on a music scholarship and I played in the drumline. I also sucessfully walked onto the football team at an SEC school who shall remain nameless.

Band is a performing art. It takes skill, it takes desire, it takes hard work, and it takes dedication. It takes many of the same things that football or basketball requires. But marching band, no matter how physical, is not a sport. get over it.

I am the biggest advocate of band, marching band, drumlines, pep bands, (sorry, I think flag corp are wasted space), and I always will be an advocate of these, but there is a huge difference. And the sooner we all start dealing with the reality of this, the sooner all of you kids can start getting along in school. Im tired of hearing about that crap everyday after school. Get over yourselves. Accept yourselves for who you are, and move on.....there is so much to be proud of. (this includes PARENTS ALSO)

Band is most definately not a sport. cheerleading in general is not a sport, but competetive cheerleading i do believe would qualify. Band is a performing art, much like theater and chorus. Though it does some degree of conditioning(i.e. lung strenegth) it in general does not require enough physical activity to qualify as anything more than what it is a performing art. You can still be morbidly obese, and play in the band. Now i understand in football the same can be said but..... football does require more physical training, where as band is more simply put as knowing your instrument and where you fall into line therefore not a sport.

I would like to see some of these so called athletes run down the field backwards on their tip toes carrying a huge tuba while trying to hit their spots in 10 counts.

I'm sure it probably wouldn't go very good.....but not as bad as the flute player fielding the opening kickoff of a football game, the majorette getting blindsided by a blitzing backside linebacker or a flag girl going through the Oklahoma drill.

The topic is whether band is a sport, not whether or not band members or football players work the hardest. I have to admit this is one of the funniest threads that I've read on CoachT.

1. I'd like to see the tuba player run (not "tip toe") backwards trying to cover a player that runs a 4.5/40.

Not sit for 2 qtrs playing a few songs. Perform for 10 minutes at half-time, then take the 3rd quarter off at the concession stand eating hamburgers and popcorn.

2. I'd like to see the tuba player take on 2 blockers that combine to outweigh him by maybe 200 plus pounds.

3. I'd like to see the tuba player put his face into a fullback running full steam and take him out.

4. I'd like to see the tuba player, play tuba; not football.

I'm not picking on tuba players. One of best friends was a tuba player in high school. But he wasn't no athlete and he knew it!

This thread is hilarious. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have to say, I would not simplify this discussion too much. Is band a sport. no. Who works the hardest? Better question.

Most bands put in more hours than most football teams. The work is hard, and it is tiring. It is very tough, and not just anyone can do it.

But it is not a sport.