Dobyns Bennett v. Oak Ridge

srupley

Just some perspective here folks. I spoke with my grandfather while he was visiting this weekend, he is a 1950's graduate of Dobyns Bennett and played fullback on the 1947, 1948, and 1949 state champion teams. He attended the game last Friday against Knox Bearden and enlightened me with some relevant information. He told me that in his years at Dobyns Bennett the program went 51-1, somewhat similar to what Dobyns Bennett has experienced in recent decades minus the state championships, but the kicker was that following that five year domination stretch, the 1950 Indian squad endured a 2-8 season. Now I don't believe we'll have to endure anything close to a 2-8 season, at worst a 6-4 season, but our opponent this Friday night can attest its not easy to see your alma mater struggle when you are used to dominance. Just a perspective folks, don't give up on the kids though. Be patient. They'll do themselves, the team, the school, and the city right.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK time out from football for one momento. DB are you all cooking any food for this shindig or do we fend for ourselves on this one?

I think that all the DB posters that could answer that one are not wanting to post. Mu giess is they don't even want to think about this game. Their posts have mysteriously disappeared.

Come on out an chat guys. The view count says you're there watching.

I love this ballgame, the best non conference match up in Tn, in my opinion. I was thinking about this ballgame in recent years and here are some names that came to mind. Sorry DB fans if I mess up the names or spellings.

DB Indians: Gerald Sensabaugh, Teddy Gaines, B.J. Clendennan, Adonis Johnson, Duran Ferguson, Jerrod(?) Thropp, Coty Sensabaugh

OR Wildcats: Shawn Summers, Shawn Bohannon, Adrian Porter, Corey Booker, Jason McAddley, Scott McMahon, Spencer Guilmire

These are some of the marquee names in the series recently. Who are some of the more unsung heroes that have been key players in the outcome of these ballgames, or some names from the past that came up big?

I suppose it can go unsaid that this game will come down to how well Dobyns Bennett's offense wants to play. Oak Ridge knows our defense will hold, not allowing anywhere near 53 points like Bradley Central. However, I think Oak Ridge will score anywhere from 14-21 points Friday night. I hope I'm wrong, but thats my opinion. Plain and simple, once again, it comes down to Dobyns Bennett's offense. Anymore decenting opinions or other avenues to explore?

By the way, could some of you Oak Ridge fans direct me to an online version of your cities newspaper?

Also, what do you Ridgers think of a Dobyns Bennett v. Oak Ridge JV and Freshman game series (both teams play on the same night at the same sight) like we do with Sevier County. Honestly, I don't see why more teams don't do this other than possibly for the fact of field conditions.

I've been to watch a few Indian practices this week and these boys are fired up and I'm believing in them. They have made many changes on offense. From personel to formations and i think Indian fans will like it. I say the Tribe's offense gets it rolling this week and the defense continues to play amazing. Indians win this one 21-13.

Good luck Wildcats.

I've been to watch a few Indian practices this week and these boys are fired up and I'm believing in them. They have made many changes on offense. From personel to formations and i think Indian fans will like it. I say the Tribe's offense gets it rolling this week and the defense continues to play amazing. Indians win this one 21-13.

Good luck Wildcats.

I'd say I have talked to you sometime this week and you are right on about the changes.GC knows this is a game that will be hard fought and what a better time to try some different things. The coaches must have done a lot of work this weekend and I look forward to seeing the game and hope our guys can make a good showing. We need to remember that the teams we are playing over these few weeks , are pretty strong and will help us in the long run.

Good luck Wildcats.

Has GC given the offensive coorinator responsibilities to one of the other coaches?

is anybody gonna admit that i have been right about this team so far this year. i will say the defense has played alot better than i thought they would have but i told you the offense would do nothing. i was at the Blount game and i shocked at how bad our WRs looked. i told you people that the no huddle offense wouldnt work at all and that graham cant call plays in big or close games. im not gonna make a trip back to kingsport to watch this team until maybe the science hill game cause i dont want to waste my gas on that. i think that OR will destroy DB this week it doesnt matter what changes DB has made on offense. you cant fix something when there is nothin better there. i really hope DB doesnt lose by more than 28 this week that would be really embarrassing. just give me my credit for calling this.