Hillsboro at MBA

12NCS

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

This was a great HS game. I am sure there are many opinions about the game, but I think Hillsboro's backs and receivers may be some of the most gifted athletes I have seen in a long while. MBA kids are still missing tackles, and it's not because they are poor tacklers; the Burros can play ball.

I am not sure that I enjoyed more the fact that these old rivals were playing again or that this was just a great game.

Hillsboro gashed the MBA D for a lot of the game, but MBA made big plays at crucial times to win a very close game.

Hats off to both schools; tonight was a special night to be on The Hill.

MBA wins 16-12 in a thriller. It was truly the story of two halves -- speed won the first half for Hillsboro and coaching won the second half for MBA. I mean come on, clearly the MBA staff made some decisive half time adjustments. Also, the Burros were driving down the field with about 1:30 remaining to have a chance to win and they did not even use one of their three time outs to set up a crucial 3rd down conversion play. So, they failed to convert and then rushed to convert on fourth down. Ridiculous -- you cannot take your time outs home with you.

I guess what "they" say is true -- the privates have superior coaches who are able to get more out of less athletic kids. Don't believe me, watch the tape of this game and check out the overall records of the privates versus the publics so far this season. (Sorry to burst D1 supporters' bubble, but there is NO WAY that anyone can use the "private schools cheat by recruiting" defense tonight because there is no doubt Hillsboro had the better athletes. Wow, much better athletes.)

Let the rebuttles begin...

MBA wins 16-12 in a thriller. It was truly the story of two halves -- speed won the first half for Hillsboro and coaching won the second half for MBA. I mean come on, clearly the MBA staff made some decisive half time adjustments. Also, the Burros were driving down the field with about 1:30 remaining to have a chance to win and they did not even use one of their three time outs to set up a crucial 3rd down conversion play. So, they failed to convert and then rushed to convert on fourth down. Ridiculous -- you cannot take your time outs home with you.

I guess what "they" say is true -- the privates have superior coaches who are able to get more out of less athletic kids. Don't believe me, watch the tape of this game and check out the overall records of the privates versus the publics so far this season. (Sorry to burst D1 supporters' bubble, but there is NO WAY that anyone can use the "private schools cheat by recruiting" defense tonight because there is no doubt Hillsboro had the better athletes. Wow, much better athletes.)

That's a reach!

IMO, you are wrong about both schools. Both are well coached, and both have excellent athletes. Is Hillsboro more talented? In the skill positions, yes, they are more talented, but up front on both sides of the ball, I think MBA is more talented.

I'll give you that MBA has a solid staff, but don't think that the Burros are not well coached. Hillsboro played sound defense for most of the night with solid gap control; that comes from being well coached.

It's not like MBA doesn't have a few players on their side of the ball either...

I echo FlyBy's sentiments. Just a great football game. Big game, big crowd, well worth the price of admission. Well played by both teams, with few penalties, although a few crucial ones against the Buros. I was thoroughly impressed by Hillsboro's speed. Seward and the other running back (#3?) were stars. MBA missed a ton of tackles, but those backs were some of the most ellusive I have ever seen at the high school level. MBA made plays on defense at the right times and had a couple of huge 4th down stands. After making half time adjustments, it appeared that MBA had HHS figured out. Many of the plays that the Buros ran with success in the first half were snuffed out by the Big Red in the second half. The Buros seemed to run the same 5 or 6 plays all night. I was surprised that HHS didn't do more out of the shotgun. Arent was under center almost all night. Not the spread attack that I expected.

I was very impressed by MBA QB, Spencer Wise tonight. He managed the game extremely well and made some big throws when he had to. Also impressed by the MBA tight end, Sloan, who had a couple of big cathes including a big TD. Bartholomew had a great game on both sides of the ball save a late fumble which he later made up for with the big hit to seal the win. His punting was a pleasant surprise, as well. Preston Bailey had a great game...pancaked many a Burro and springing a few big runs by Waddey and Vinsang, both of whom had solid games. MBA clearly had a size advantage and wore down the Burros as the game wore on...this may have been the key to the game. Overall, MBA did enough to contain Hillsboro's speed and was efficient on offense. From a scheme and execution standpoint, this team reminded me a lot of the '95 and '96 MBA teams, except with more size and athleticism. Good to see the Big Red rolling again. Kudos to both schools for scheduling this game and the large turnout. Both teams should be proud of their efforts. Just a great night all around. Looking forward to next year. Roll Red!

Final score: MBA 17 - Hillsboro 12. It was 12 to 3 in favor of Hillsboro at the half. It took two quarters for the MBA defense to adjust to the speed of the Hillsboro skill players, but on the second play of the second half, MBA senior safety Jas Rader, laid the wood to Hillsboro's great junior WR/CB Eric Gordon just as he caught a pass in the backfield. That hit seemed to set the tone for the MBA defense as they proceeded to shutout the Burros for the next two quarters. MBA pulled to within three points of the Burros when junior QB Spencer Wise hit junior TE Joseph Sloan for a 25-yard scoring strike. The PAT by Andrew Fletcher made it 12-10, Hillsboro. Later in the 3rd, MBA senior fullback Ben Bartholomew blasted up the middle for 12-yard run to give MBA the lead, which was followed by another Andrew Fletcher PAT.

The Burros had two chances in the 4th quarter when the MBA punt returner muffed a Hillsboro punt giving the ball to the Burros at the MBA 20 yard line. On the ensuing play, MBA senior CB Tee Stumb made an athletic one-handed interception of a Matt Arent pass and returned it some 20 yards to give MBA 1st and ten at the MBA 35 yard line. MBA turned the ball over again as its runningback fumbled while striving for first down yardage. MBA held the Burros on downs as MBA linebacker tackled Hillsboro RB Jacquese Seaward for loss on 4th and seven from the Hillsboro 45 yard line to put the game away.

MBA took control of both sides of the line of scrimmage in the 3rd quarter. MBA's D-line and LBs were effective in pressuring Hillsboro QBs and were credited with 7 sacks and just as many hurries. Hillsboro was as fast as advertised at the skill positions, but MBA's overall team size, strength (MBA's certainly not slow by any means) and athleticism on both sides of the ball wore Hillsboro down and enabled MBA to make the big plays when they needed them in this come from behind victory.

MBA pushed its record to 4-0 and has scored 100 points in four games against and allowed 25 points against Antioch, Independence, Baylor and Hillsboro. Hillsboro is 3-1. This loss does nothing to hurt Hillsboro's playoff hopes as it was not a Region game. Hillsboro plays Maplewood next week and MBA travels to Pope John Paul II. It was a great high school atmosphere between two of the best football teams in the state, not matter what the classification. Both teams can play with anyone and expect to win.

outstanding hugh school football game, i honestly thought we (hillsboro) had it in the bag after the first half as the line play was even (mba was supposed to dominate hillsboro's "undersized" line). mba really turned it up the second half. hillsboro had a touchdown called back for holding which wouldve won us the game. i dont think one penalty was called against mba the whole night, as hillsboro had several crucial penalties called against them. this was a great game. congrats to mba. but hillsboro will come back strong!!

MBA came out sloppy, Hillsboro came with their A Game. Hillsboro looked untouchable in the first half between their quick passing game with their very speedy receivers and Seward in the backfield. MBA just wasn't wrapping up.

Coaching won MBA the second half for sure. Their defensive schemes were getting sacks without anyone being touched and their offense was able to move the ball consistantly.

Great game between two state championship contenders.

outstanding hugh school football game, i honestly thought we (hillsboro) had it in the bag after the first half as the line play was even (mba was supposed to dominate hillsboro's "undersized" line). mba really turned it up the second half. hillsboro had a touchdown called back for holding which wouldve won us the game. i dont think one penalty was called against mba the whole night, as hillsboro had several crucial penalties called against them. this was a great game. congrats to mba. but hillsboro will come back strong!!

hillsboro still scored after the 1st td was called back, it still woulda been only 12 points