Ooltewah vs Billy Blunt

bipbopzot

So here's a good opportunity for fans of both teams to discuss the game and make their picks. I'm gonna do my best not the "beat the dead horse" of who got the terrible refereeing at which place. Two years ago, I know there are still Owls fans who would contend you got ripped off. Last year, us WB faithful still think some bad calls influenced the outcome of the game. In either case, if you really think about it, both teams had opportunities to "seal the deal" and win the respective games despite the ref's calls and neither got it done. I'm willing to call a truce on the past--and I hope other WB fans will join me ... if your fine Owl fans will do the same.

What we have is two highly ranked 5A teams from the same region squaring off for early season bragging rights and play-off positioning. It will be, in my opinion, one of, if not the game of the week next week.

I'm a homer, but I'm favoring WB based on home field advantage and on experience. From what I gather, Ooltewah is an awesome team, but has some young players in key positions. I know you had an incredible freshman program last season ... will we see a lot of soph's in your line-up? Blount is a senior-laden team ... most of their key players have a lot of big game experience. I believe that will be a plus for the Govs.

I believe your rb, Marshall, is as good as anyone we'll see this year at that position (with the possible exception of Sterling at Farragut). I know you have some receiving threats and a promising young qb, but I believe if we can contain Marshall, we can be successful.

My gut pick--taking in to consideration my prejudice for WB--is the Gov's pull the "mild upset" (based on rankings) and come away with a 28-14 win.

What do you think, my buddies from "Ooootewah"?

Thank you for giving that a rest. It's about time someone did that. Ooltewah is a semi-young team. Every skill position is an underclassman besides Marshall and Shumaker (receiver). Ooltewah did at times look very good against McMinn and then they had the times where they looked horrible. The key for an Ooltewah win is turnovers. If Ooltewah doesn't turn the ball over 4 times a game then they have a shot. William Blount will be big and physical just like in years past. How is the big DE doing? Hopefully out one more game? ..... Anyways, it should be a great game. Ooltewah by 3 or 7. (hopefully)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's a good opportunity for fans of both teams to discuss the game and make their picks. I'm gonna do my best not the "beat the dead horse" of who got the terrible refereeing at which place. Two years ago, I know there are still Owls fans who would contend you got ripped off. Last year, us WB faithful still think some bad calls influenced the outcome of the game. In either case, if you really think about it, both teams had opportunities to "seal the deal" and win the respective games despite the ref's calls and neither got it done. I'm willing to call a truce on the past--and I hope other WB fans will join me ... if your fine Owl fans will do the same.

What we have is two highly ranked 5A teams from the same region squaring off for early season bragging rights and play-off positioning. It will be, in my opinion, one of, if not the game of the week next week.

I'm a homer, but I'm favoring WB based on home field advantage and on experience. From what I gather, Ooltewah is an awesome team, but has some young players in key positions. I know you had an incredible freshman program last season ... will we see a lot of soph's in your line-up? Blount is a senior-laden team ... most of their key players have a lot of big game experience. I believe that will be a plus for the Govs.

I believe your rb, Marshall, is as good as anyone we'll see this year at that position (with the possible exception of Sterling at Farragut). I know you have some receiving threats and a promising young qb, but I believe if we can contain Marshall, we can be successful.

My gut pick--taking in to consideration my prejudice for WB--is the Gov's pull the "mild upset" (based on rankings) and come away with a 28-14 win.

What do you think, my buddies from "Ooootewah"?

Thanks GovMan for your level headed approach to this great match-up! I hope that your team sticks with the game plan of containing Marshall.

~21-17 OWLS~

I want William Blount to win so there will be 15,000 people show up at William Blount the next week for the Maryville game.

I don't think the outcome of the Ooltewah game will affect the Maryville crowd that much. My prediction....I'm not quite sold yet on either team. Many think WB is really good. Many think Ooltewah is really good. The AP polls think that also. (However, polls are useless in every sport except NCAA Division 1-A Football.) I don't think either team has played a good team yet. After next Friday, we'll see. I have no idea how it will play out. I will say this, however..whoever turns the ball over the most will lose.

I don't think the outcome of the Ooltewah game will affect the Maryville crowd that much. My prediction....I'm not quite sold yet on either team. Many think WB is really good. Many think Ooltewah is really good. The AP polls think that also. (However, polls are useless in every sport except NCAA Division 1-A Football.) I don't think either team has played a good team yet. After next Friday, we'll see. I have no idea how it will play out. I will say this, however..whoever turns the ball over the most will lose.

I am very back in forth on this game. I don't think WB beating Ooltewah would be an UPSET. Not to most of the realistic people. I do think the Owls are capable of pulling this one out. The experience of the WB team is huge! The Ooltewah Owls will be much better later in the year. Yes there are SEVERAL sophmores playing in key positions. ONE being QB. I think our secondary is much better this year. I just wouldn't want to HAVE to predict the outcome. I say GO OWLS and good luck. We have really played 2 games and that is it! Lots of talent on this team not much experience. I aree with you. I don't think the outcome has anything to do with how many people show up at the Maryville game. They will all come regardless. I'd LOVE to see WB win that one cause I know they can.

I too am going back and forth. My heart says Ooltewah, but my simple little brain says maybe not. I know the Owls strengths and weaknesses, but what about the Gov's? Who are your studs both Offensive and Defensive? Gov Fan's if you are worried about one thing what would it be?

Go Owls, looking forward to a great game.

I too am going back and forth. My heart says Ooltewah, but my simple little brain says maybe not. I know the Owls strengths and weaknesses, but what about the Gov's? Who are your studs both Offensive and Defensive? Gov Fan's if you are worried about one thing what would it be?

Go Owls, looking forward to a great game.

My biggest concern is the health of TJ. Without him the Govs ability to pressure the QB is diminished somewhat, although last week I thought #3 filled in well. #40 on the other defensive end has been solid all year long. Very impressed. #20 gets all the accalades, but #40 is no slouch. Linebackers are solid. Secondary getting more and more comfortable every week.

My second concern is the kicking game (minus the punt game). Whitehead is a terrific punter, no worries there. Place kicking has got to get more consistent. Case in point, against DB place kicker goes 3 for 3 on extra points and adds a 30 something yard field goal. At Soddy Daisy last week place kicker was 1 for 3 on extra points. WB tried for 2 on the other 2 TD's. That is a concern, especially against quality opponents such as the Owls, Farragut, Maryville, Oak Ridge. Kicking game is huge.

Offensively we need to cut down on mistakes and be able to finish off drives. Although in 3 games we are averageing 27.3. could have been a lot more. Experienced QB, excellent running back and wide receivers. O-line is starting to gel, and will only get better.

Should be a great game! Really looking forward to it.

Fun to see Region 2 5A ranked 2 thru 5.

After the open date this week, WB's next 4 games include Oooltewah, Maryville, Farragut, and Oak Ridge. At least 3 out of the 4 are at WB.

Should be a great place to watch high school football over the next several weeks.

My biggest concern is the health of TJ. Without him the Govs ability to pressure the QB is diminished somewhat, although last week I thought #3 filled in well. #40 on the other defensive end has been solid all year long. Very impressed. #20 gets all the accalades, but #40 is no slouch. Linebackers are solid. Secondary getting more and more comfortable every week.

My second concern is the kicking game (minus the punt game). Whitehead is a terrific punter, no worries there. Place kicking has got to get more consistent. Case in point, against DB place kicker goes 3 for 3 on extra points and adds a 30 something yard field goal. At Soddy Daisy last week place kicker was 1 for 3 on extra points. WB tried for 2 on the other 2 TD's. That is a concern, especially against quality opponents such as the Owls, Farragut, Maryville, Oak Ridge. Kicking game is huge.

Offensively we need to cut down on mistakes and be able to finish off drives. Although in 3 games we are averageing 27.3. could have been a lot more. Experienced QB, excellent running back and wide receivers. O-line is starting to gel, and will only get better.

Should be a great game! Really looking forward to it.

Fun to see Region 2 5A ranked 2 thru 5.

After the open date this week, WB's next 4 games include Oooltewah, Maryville, Farragut, and Oak Ridge. At least 3 out of the 4 are at WB.

Should be a great place to watch high school football over the next several weeks.

I remember seeing that scheudle at the beginning of the season and thinking Holy Cow, that's as tough a stretch as it get's. If ya'll come through that stretch 3-1 (of course the 1 being the first game) you are going a long way in the playoffs. Let's hope for a clean no injury game.

BTW Region 2 5A should be 1 thru 4