Alcoa's Sommers out for Year!

F5HallOfFamer

thats all great, but you dont know him, so your personal opinion really is not needed nor wanted. your talking about something way out of your jurisdiction here pal. And last time i checked this was coachT.com, not moralsT.com. you wanna talk about football and the skills a player has that is fine, but you have no right to get on here and state what is and is not acceptable. who do you think made you God of Tennessee football. Even if what you are saying is right, its not your position to do so, who do you think you are?

Maby if someone had made it their business to tell this young man what is right or wrong and took time to see what he was into and who his friends were maby this would not have happened.As for as knowing him everybody knows someone like him

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH UT will still offer him, They have Coker the smoker over there and you have to fail a drug test 4 times in college before they do anything to you. STUPID, that is about all you can say about that......This ticks me off more than anything, someone with all the natural ability in the world and he throws it away, then you have good kid X who is working his rear off and does the right thing all the time. A waste, I have no sympathy for Mr. Sommer. NONE! And dont give me that "he is just a kid" crap! Kids start learning to "Just say No" from Kindergarten on. And smokin dope? At least with Balco and steroids it was to improve there physical ability, he just decided he wanted to get high, which if anything is detrimental to an athlete. Alcoa is better without him, it is obvious that he doesnt care about his teammates or else he wouldnt have let them down. I think drug testing should be mandated and I would be willing to pay more taxes to make it happen, and dont just limit it to athletes, I would pay extra to do random among the entire school. Marajuana drug tests cost around 4 dollars a piece, you have 25 kids get randomly tested and it puts the fear in the others. To Mr. Sommer, I want to say, I hope that every school runs from you, that your character is a deciding factor and not your athletic ability. I am all for second chances, but I believe they must be earned. If I had a say so, he would submit to weekly drug tests for one year and if he stays clean then he can play ball. After that he has to submit to a random drug test 6 times a year. And they can be back to back. This just infuriates me because he has so much talent, but doesnt have the character to be a leader on his old team. SELFISH! And I am not even an Alcoa Fan, My team plays Alcoa in the region. But this is a perfect example of someone putting themselves above the team! It tarnishes the hole team as well as other teams. Athletes have enough stereotypes put on them, without reinforcing them. Excuse any spelling errors I may have made throughout this post, I usually read them before posting, but I am just letting it out right now. Mr. Sommer not only owes his teammates an appology, but also the entire community....With his high profile athletic talent in a small community, he is a role model of sorts to kids and to peers. He owes one big appology!

This post is overboard. I have no doubt that players or students at your particular school are doing the same thing. I'm not condoning any of this, I'm only saying the kid made a huge mistake and is being severly punished for it. He doesn't need to be crucified by people such as yourself on top of everything else. I'm sure most can recall things they did as a teenager, (maybe not this bad) that they regret now. Part of growing up is making mistakes and suffering the consequences. Hopefully he learns from this and turns things around.

...All that anyone needs to know is on CoachT's front page...

...Moderators, please close this topic!!!

No need to close the topic, not yet anyway. It is all over the internet, newspapers,etc. It is already a very public matter.

The bottom line is a law was broken and there must be consequences. It is against the law to possess marijuana. The police found marijuana in Sommer's vehicle. Sounds like an open and shut case to me.

Well spoken!!!!! I am very proud of the administration especially Coach Rankin.....I hope you read this Coach. Alcoa was in serious need of some strong discipline before he arrived. This sends a strong message. There is no defending his actions as he is a man. There is nothing cool about this crap. What seems like no big deal now leads to bigger things down the road like meth, etc. It makes me feel better as a parent knowing the officials are trying to clean this stuff up.

Ditto, however the drug problem in some places in Alcoa is a lot bigger than Brian so this may prove to be benefic for Brian and countless others. Bravo coach Rankin and administration. I'm praying for you Brian.

Sadly, this is an all too common occurance in this day and age. I wish the young man all the luck in the world, and the strength to pick up the pieces and move on. He is a legal adult, yes, but I think back to when I was 18 years old, and there wasn't much differece between 16 and 18. He is still a kid, and while that shouldn't be an excuse to escape consequence, it should be a reason for a second chance.

Are there other schools in his community that he can attend? Maryville? William Blount? One mistake should not ruin his entire life!

AH UT will still offer him, They have Coker the smoker over there and you have to fail a drug test 4 times in college before they do anything to you. STUPID, that is about all you can say about that......This ticks me off more than anything, someone with all the natural ability in the world and he throws it away, then you have good kid X who is working his rear off and does the right thing all the time. A waste, I have no sympathy for Mr. Sommer. NONE! And dont give me that "he is just a kid" crap! Kids start learning to "Just say No" from Kindergarten on. And smokin dope? At least with Balco and steroids it was to improve there physical ability, he just decided he wanted to get high, which if anything is detrimental to an athlete. Alcoa is better without him, it is obvious that he doesnt care about his teammates or else he wouldnt have let them down. I think drug testing should be mandated and I would be willing to pay more taxes to make it happen, and dont just limit it to athletes, I would pay extra to do random among the entire school. Marajuana drug tests cost around 4 dollars a piece, you have 25 kids get randomly tested and it puts the fear in the others. To Mr. Sommer, I want to say, I hope that every school runs from you, that your character is a deciding factor and not your athletic ability. I am all for second chances, but I believe they must be earned. If I had a say so, he would submit to weekly drug tests for one year and if he stays clean then he can play ball. After that he has to submit to a random drug test 6 times a year. And they can be back to back. This just infuriates me because he has so much talent, but doesnt have the character to be a leader on his old team. SELFISH! And I am not even an Alcoa Fan, My team plays Alcoa in the region. But this is a perfect example of someone putting themselves above the team! It tarnishes the hole team as well as other teams. Athletes have enough stereotypes put on them, without reinforcing them. Excuse any spelling errors I may have made throughout this post, I usually read them before posting, but I am just letting it out right now. Mr. Sommer not only owes his teammates an appology, but also the entire community....With his high profile athletic talent in a small community, he is a role model of sorts to kids and to peers. He owes one big appology!

Could nt have said it any better myself!!!!!! Why are some people getting on here trying to tell this big sad somber story? He got caught and thats it no special favors, just because he s an athlete, maybe they saved one of our sons and daughters from getting high and possibly ending up dead or injuried, I HATE DRUGS AND ANYBODY ASSOCIATED WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesnt deserve the time of this thread in my oponion!

Are there other schools in his community that he can attend? Maryville? William Blount? One mistake should not ruin his entire life!

He will probably wind up at Karns, but he will not be eligible to play football there. Maybe he can be eligible for the second semester and play basketball. I hate this for him, but for Alcoa we must move forward.

Sadly, this is an all too common occurance in this day and age. I wish the young man all the luck in the world, and the strength to pick up the pieces and move on. He is a legal adult, yes, but I think back to when I was 18 years old, and there wasn't much differece between 16 and 18. He is still a kid, and while that shouldn't be an excuse to escape consequence, it should be a reason for a second chance.

So Sad but true. These are the things that no one really pays attention too. Had it been a pothead who didn't play at the level he did we wouldn't have this room. And people wouldn't be out for blood as they are. Drugs are an on going problem that faces our kids everyday. I hope the best for all involved. But I feel every school should have some kind of Security Force fulltime. And a Drug Dog should be on staff as well.

Could nt have said it any better myself!!!!!! Why are some people getting on here trying to tell this big sad somber story? He got caught and thats it no special favors, just because he s an athlete, maybe they saved one of our sons and daughters from getting high and possibly ending up dead or injuried, I HATE DRUGS AND ANYBODY ASSOCIATED WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesnt deserve the time of this thread in my oponion!

You need to learn to hate sin , not sinners, we all do that. We all have our shortcomings. I would love to be perfect, but for some reason or another , I can't. Hum, Maybe I was born a sinner. I can't say that I hate anyone, I hate what they do and I have hated alot of things that I've done. We are all just imperfect people who need to strive daily to be better people, its a challenge.

You need to learn to hate sin , not sinners, we all do that. We all have our shortcomings. I would love to be perfect, but for some reason or another , I can't. Hum, Maybe I was born a sinner. I can't say that I hate anyone, I hate what they do and I have hated alot of things that I've done. We are all just imperfect people who need to strive daily to be better people, its a challenge.

Pujo, thanks for sermon but it dont even need to go that route it s not about that at all. i know we are all born sinners and have shortcomings and i have mine , but lets dont take what i said out of context! I made a bold statement about drugs and drug dealers, drug users etc. and i stand behind it 100% , just because i used the word HATE you jumped all over it, i m not trying to be politically correct , people are so worried about the saying what they think everyone wants to hear instead of what they mean which usually results in everyone being the same which would be a boring place if we all where the same!!!