Sullivan South vs Johnson County

HiGipper

QUOTE(etfan @ Sep 17 2007 - 09:22 PM)

About time we started this thread.

This is the classical match up of power vs finesse.

Will the JC ground game and punishing style be able to overcome the SS spread attack? Which D can slow down the other's O?

I was bullish on JC in preseason and looked like a fool after the Hampton game. Maybe Hampton is that good and I am not so foolish.

After last week's results, I have to give the early edge on Monday night to JC. I think SS's psyche is fragile and they are banged up. Can they recover? I will look forward to Comp's (and others) response.

In response to TCS 's Top Ten, I would like to offer my own. BTW, unlike Ron Bliss I do not give points for almost and so don't rank 1-3 teams at #2. And gosh, with the collapse of Hamblen County football so far, I don't have to do all the normal geographical who is in and who is not stuff. These are size corrected. When Boone beats a 5A team who is preseason ranked high in their league I will move them ahead of Hampton.

1. Hampton

2. Boone

3. THS

4. G'ville

5. South

6. Science Hill

7. Johnson County

8. Jeff County

9. East

10. Unaka

ETFAN Your poll and thinking are a little warped....Lets see Hampton beat Erwin 09 to 06 and their only TD was a interception for a TD, No offense TD and Sullivan South beat Erwin 48 to 07 I'm not a rocket Scientist but thats a no brainer. Also you say aBoone needs to beat a 5A team ranked high what 5A team has Hampton beat???

First of all ,Hampton's td came on offense ,it was a pass. Second, Daniel Boone and Unicoi both played South Greene , DB won by 21 ,Unicoi by 19 ,not much difference. I'm not saying Hampton should be #1 ,But at this point I'm not sure who is. Looks to me like everybody had better come to play on every Friday night, alot of toss ups.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all ,Hampton's td came on offense ,it was a pass. Second, Daniel Boone and Unicoi both played South Greene , DB won by 21 ,Unicoi by 19 ,not much difference. I'm not saying Hampton should be #1 ,But at this point I'm not sure who is. Looks to me like everybody had better come to play on every Friday night, alot of toss ups.

Pujo not sure what you heard about the Avery game but they were as you said. We beat them up pretty good and played alot better ball. We still tried that same crap we did against Hampton and almost dug a big hole. First play of the game we run for 7 yards. Second play we come out throwing and give them the ball on a pick. Our defense holds on 4th down and we get it back and dodge a bullet. Believe it or not we throw it on the first play (a fly in the rain) and they pick it again and do score their only touchdown of the game a few plays later. We basically keep it on the ground and get back in the "I" the rest of the game and look very good. I swear the play calling is going to be the death of a bunch of people up here. I just hope we dont decide we can throw it around with Phillips and let it become a track meet. Not much said about that game is why I mention it and also as it relates to our passing game. I believe our QB is the best we have had in a while but we do not need to air it out 20 times a game. Open it up with the run and he throws a good ball.

ETFAN Your poll and thinking are a little warped....Lets see Hampton beat Erwin 09 to 06 and their only TD was a interception for a TD, No offense TD and Sullivan South beat Erwin 48 to 07 I'm not a rocket Scientist but thats a no brainer. Also you say aBoone needs to beat a 5A team ranked high what 5A team has Hampton beat???

I certainly wouldn't say there is not much difference between Unicoi and Boone, however, the point I think ETfan was trying to make was that Hampton, a 1A school, has now beaten 2 4A teams, and in fact, would be leading the 4A Mountain Lakes Conference with a 2-0 conference record, if they weren't 1A. Nobody else can claim to be undefeated at playing 3 levels over their head.

I agree! Etfan nobody will ever listen to a thing you have to say now that you have ranked Hampton the number one team in NET especially after BARELY beating Unicoi. Now I may be speaking to soon because my Vikings play Unicoi this week and our team is taking this game very seriously. Unicoi can be dangerous if you don"t jump on them early in the game. I also think DB can't be considered for anything less than 5th regardless of what their record is. Bottom line is I don't see more than two or three teams in this region even challenging them head to head...that's just telling it like it is. Same with Science Hill!! I know the poles have to give credit for a team'srecord but let's be for real...will DB EVER drop out of the top ten best teams in this region...I THINK NOT!!! And that's coming from a fan that loves to hate DB...but I will ALWAYS give credit where it's due. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have to say that while I thoroughly enjoyed seeing South fall last Friday night /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> ... but I can't think of anything that would lead me to believe that they are not still the team to beat in our region 4A. And anyone that thinks this is going to be anything but an up hill battle for JC is sadly mistaken! I would love to see South fall out of the saddle again this week, but I don't see that happening. Johnson County will without a doubt come ready to play and will challenge the Rebels...at first. But Curt will run the ball every time himself before he will go down again. If this game had been before the Greeneville game I think JC would have had a better chance...but if they beat South now it would mean that South isn't the team that I think they are. Greeneville caught the South team reading tricitiessports.com...reporters sometime have the ability to make you think you are invincible. Greeneville also has a good team with several gamers on both sides of the ball, and they showed that again against South. I predict a tight game at first, but after the Rebels taste the end zone for the second time the flood gates will open.

South by 21

I certainly wouldn't say there is not much difference between Unicoi and Boone, however, the point I think ETfan was trying to make was that Hampton, a 1A school, has now beaten 2 4A teams, and in fact, would be leading the 4A Mountain Lakes Conference with a 2-0 conference record, if they weren't 1A. Nobody else can claim to be undefeated at playing 3 levels over their head.

Dauuuuuuu??¦..nobody has played two conference games yet. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> That sure took some insight.

Boone beat Greenville and Unicoi lost to South, which lost to Greeneville 7 to 48??¦.big difference if you ask me.

Pujo not sure what you heard about the Avery game but they were as you said. We beat them up pretty good and played alot better ball. We still tried that same crap we did against Hampton and almost dug a big hole. First play of the game we run for 7 yards. Second play we come out throwing and give them the ball on a pick. Our defense holds on 4th down and we get it back and dodge a bullet. Believe it or not we throw it on the first play (a fly in the rain) and they pick it again and do score their only touchdown of the game a few plays later. We basically keep it on the ground and get back in the "I" the rest of the game and look very good. I swear the play calling is going to be the death of a bunch of people up here. I just hope we dont decide we can throw it around with Phillips and let it become a track meet. Not much said about that game is why I mention it and also as it relates to our passing game. I believe our QB is the best we have had in a while but we do not need to air it out 20 times a game. Open it up with the run and he throws a good ball.

I expected a fairly close game ,I thought you guys would win. I'd like nothing better than to see you guys get another one this week. Did Avery have the personal foul thing going on. They are not a very disaplined team. But ,way to go and I hope you guys win every game. Don't underestimate Unicoi, they are better than most people think.

QUOTE(pujo @ Sep 18 2007 - 08:45 AM)

1st of all Unicoi and Jo. Co. are 3A size and I hear Hampton is close are may already be 2A but that being said your hardest games would equate to the easier games on South , DB or Tn. Highs schedule. You have Jello and Grace Christtian on your schedule I've never heard of until I looked at your schedule.....get real ....you're a really good 1A team for this area period.....

I expected a fairly close game ,I thought you guys would win. I'd like nothing better than to see you guys get another one this week. Did Avery have the personal foul thing going on. They are not a very disaplined team. But ,way to go and I hope you guys win every game. Don't underestimate Unicoi, they are better than most people think.

Believe it or not there was not a single personal foul called. I think some of that may have been contained by getting some big shots in early on our part. From what a lot of the players have said, they did talk some trash for about a quarter but that ended when they started getting beat. In no way would I underestimate Unicoi. I think they have a good coach now and have always had some players. To be honest, the MLC is wide open based on what I have seen. I know a lot of people dont care for their program but Besty will shock some people in my opinion, TN High looks strong as usual, South is obviously there, and East looks decent. I really think there are 3 teams capapble of winning the conference and six that can compete for the playoffs. I really think we match up good against South overall and we have improved since we played Hampton. I dont think this is a must win game for either team but it sure would help a lot. This is the first time we have had to taste a defeat like we got in week 0 in a while and I really think it has worked to our advantage in having to look at what we thought we could do. I still cant believe we threw it more than we ran it against Hampton (if you pull out QB rushes where he was trying to pass). I am not sure that has ever happened before but at least we got it out of our system (hopefully). BIG GAMES are what playing is all about and this one is huge in the MLC.

etfan,

Uhhh, your rankings are, in my opinion, well, let's just say off. I know we all love our home teams and all but there is no way Hampton is #1 in our area. No way. I don't care if they are undefeated.

Cap,

Actually, you made some good points in regards to rankings and I agree about South. Pretty good for a Viking fan /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I see Johnson County playing South close for a series or two, maybe a quarter. But then it's over.

Dobyns Bennett will play another close one this week. The outcome is foggy. Contain the line of scrimmage on extra points boys.

I don't think I've ever put together a poll, but I feel the need arising. Current records are not all I take into account (although some of you will criticize me for this I'm sure). I am ranking these teams by whom I think is best and will end up best. Boone is doing well now, but this will not last all year. Hampton might win all of their games left but that does not mean they can play with the big boys. Am I right that they squeaked by Unicoi County??? Sullivan South could have hung 70 on UC if they had chose to. DB may be 1-3 but that does not mean that they could be beaten by a Hampton or Unaka whomever. I'm no Waco, but here's my shot at a poll.

#1 Morristown East (Don't think anyone is better right now. South may be, once playoffs start)

#2 Sullivan South (Gville's shot to their mouth has woken the Rebels up)

#3 Tennessee High (Talent is there. I like the Harmon kid)

#4 Jeff County (Seem to be playing very well. Good to see a resurgence (sp?) in the Jeff Co program)

#5 Science Hill (Will get better and better as season goes on. This may be their year with DB.)

#6 Daniel Boone (Can't maintain their top tricitessports.com position with only a running game. I had a hard time putting them above Dobyns-Bennett. Don't think little Boone could beat DB on most nights.)

#7 Dobyns-Bennett (Still DB, as Cap said. Just struggling with a dip in talent as all teams. They are also playing stiff competition.)

#8 GreenEville (One great game a season does not make)

#9 Sullivan East (They fight hard and hold well as the line has been taught by Ralphie.)

#10 Morristown West (Wait and see if they don't get better)

#11 Volunteer (Noone should take the Falcons lightly. They are just a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Their win over the VA team means nothing though.)

Tell me Hampton or Unaka could beat anyone in the top 10 above. Dream all you want, they couldn't. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good luck all anyway!

etfan,

Uhhh, your rankings are, in my opinion, well, let's just say off. I know we all love our home teams and all but there is no way Hampton is #1 in our area. No way. I don't care if they are undefeated.

Cap,

Actually, you made some good points in regards to rankings and I agree about South. Pretty good for a Viking fan /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I see Johnson County playing South close for a series or two, maybe a quarter. But then it's over.

Dobyns Bennett will play another close one this week. The outcome is foggy. Contain the line of scrimmage on extra points boys.

I don't think I've ever put together a poll, but I feel the need arising. Current records are not all I take into account (although some of you will criticize me for this I'm sure). I am ranking these teams by whom I think is best and will end up best. Boone is doing well now, but this will not last all year. Hampton might win all of their games left but that does not mean they can play with the big boys. Am I right that they squeaked by Unicoi County??? Sullivan South could have hung 70 on UC if they had chose to. DB may be 1-3 but that does not mean that they could be beaten by a Hampton or Unaka whomever. I'm no Waco, but here's my shot at a poll.

#1 Morristown East (Don't think anyone is better right now. South may be, once playoffs start)

#2 Sullivan South (Gville's shot to their mouth has woken the Rebels up)

#3 Tennessee High (Talent is there. I like the Harmon kid)

#4 Jeff County (Seem to be playing very well. Good to see a resurgence (sp?) in the Jeff Co program)

#5 Science Hill (Will get better and better as season goes on. This may be their year with DB.)

#6 Daniel Boone (Can't maintain their top tricitessports.com position with only a running game. I had a hard time putting them above Dobyns-Bennett. Don't think little Boone could beat DB on most nights.)

#7 Dobyns-Bennett (Still DB, as Cap said. Just struggling with a dip in talent as all teams. They are also playing stiff competition.)

#8 GreenEville (One great game a season does not make)

#9 Sullivan East (They fight hard and hold well as the line has been taught by Ralphie.)

#10 Morristown West (Wait and see if they don't get better)

#11 Volunteer (Noone should take the Falcons lightly. They are just a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Their win over the VA team means nothing though.)

Tell me Hampton or Unaka could beat anyone in the top 10 above. Dream all you want, they couldn't. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good luck all anyway!

Unaka in no way. They havent played anyone and I would say after Friday there will be no talk about them. For the most part you are right about Hampton but I disagree on some teams. I think you are way off on Morristown East. I believe they are good but dont agree with #1. They are top 10. I also dont agree with Sullivan East and Volunteer. Long story short I think Hampton for sure could play with those three. I am still unsure if 4A/5A ball is down this year in our area or there is just a lot more equality than usual. In about 3 weeks I think it will all be clearer. Trying to lump all schools together is tough to do because they never play each other week in week out. I believe Hampton is better than a lot of people think compared to the bigger schools this year but obviously to do that year in year out is not possible. Time will tell and overall I think your poll is good I am just unsure that you would ever give credit to a small school that was unbeaten against a 4A/5A that was below .500. There does come a time when you have to account for this.

Unaka in no way. They havent played anyone and I would say after Friday there will be no talk about them. For the most part you are right about Hampton but I disagree on some teams. I think you are way off on Morristown East. I believe they are good but dont agree with #1. They are top 10. I also dont agree with Sullivan East and Volunteer. Long story short I think Hampton for sure could play with those three. I am still unsure if 4A/5A ball is down this year in our area or there is just a lot more equality than usual. In about 3 weeks I think it will all be clearer. Trying to lump all schools together is tough to do because they never play each other week in week out. I believe Hampton is better than a lot of people think compared to the bigger schools this year but obviously to do that year in year out is not possible. Time will tell and overall I think your poll is good I am just unsure that you would ever give credit to a small school that was unbeaten against a 4A/5A that was below .500. There does come a time when you have to account for this.

Not trying to downgrade MoEast, I think they are probably one of the better teams, but just curious what you based their #1 ranking on? So far they have beaten Karns by 6, Crockett by 2, and lost to Jeff County (certainly no shame in that).

Dobyns-Bennett could probably beat any team on the list, although their record looks bad right now.

South is probably still one of the teams to beat.

Jeff Co. should be close to the top. They certainly own the city of Morristown.

And Greeneville is much stronger than their loss to Boone showed, they've beaten South and Jeff. Co.