Knox Catholic 4-0 is this for real without the STAR

Butch & Sundance

You are probably right. I guess I am the kind that likes God, Family, Church, character, school, and other things first and in this particular order. I also think their is too much emphasis put on athletics. I don't have sons, so football is something I do enjoy watching without too much stress. However, I do have a daughter who plays basketball. Not bragging, but she is a good athlete, and is asked to play alot bball. Travel teams and such. Same in softball. My wife and I teach at home God, Family, Church, character, school and so on util we get to athletics. In that order. What is diffucult is that there are a lot of outside the family sources that seem to put priorities in a different order. And that confuses the child. I don't think our household is the only one suffering from this whether in private or public schools. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sports. They just aren't as important to me than they used to. And I think it has gone way overboard. Am I wrong to think this way??

I think part of the issue here is that (as you admit) you don't have a lot of experience with a private school. I am a public school graduate and still follow that local school. However, my kids attend private school. It is a small faith based school. The focus is definitely NOT on sports. Sports are an extracurricular - that I will admit does fall in front of most other extracurriculars but it definitely does NOT fall in front of other things. Most importantly, God, Family, School, Grades, Social Interaction definitely fall before sports. Like BaldCoach said, the privates do try hard and try to win. There is no shame in that. You would expect that from anyone, public or private. A lot of the misconception rises out of folks that have zero private school experience - which was me until my kids began attending a private too.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your players are getting offers from places like Nothwestern and Ivy League schools, you're doing it with slightly better than "passing" grades.

Since you like to name names could you name several of those recent Catholic players that got "offers" from Northwestern/Ivy League schools.

BaldCoach,

Would you submit that the number of athletes that have been given a "second chance" at KCHS is greater than the number of non athletes?

When your players are getting offers from places like Nothwestern and Ivy League schools, you're doing it with slightly better than "passing" grades.

Since you like to name names could you name several of those recent Catholic players that got "offers" from Northwestern/Ivy League schools.

BaldCoach,

Would you submit that the number of athletes that have been given a "second chance" at KCHS is greater than the number of non athletes?

I haven't a clue...no dog in this hunt. I was speaking in generalities only...the Christian schools have a different set of admissions criteria than the big preps, one of which is the idea of second chances (Rescue the Perishing is going off in my head lol). I would find it hard to believe, however, that the 'higher-ups' (Board members in Protestant schools/the ?Diocese? in Catholic ones) would allow recruiting under the guise of helping. I like to believe the best of everyone, public or private. Therefore, I have gotten on boards and taken people to task for implying that the good Publics cheat (even though we all know some probably do) and for implying that the good Privates cheat (even though we all know some probably do).

My 2 main points are that 1)Second chances are legitimately a part of Christian school policy, and 2) Not all privates are the same. As for any specific cases in K-ville, I'm out of the loop (and 100 miles South/Southwest) /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

BaldCoach,

Just to NAME afew of the players currently and in the past few years that have gotten offers from excellent academic schools:

Harrison Smith -pretty much everyone in the country and a BIG factor was the education @ ND

Hartmann - Several Ivy League offers but @ Williams College which is ranked in the top 5 academically nationwide

Franklin - @ Cincinnati but had offers from several Ivy Leagues and places like the Air Force Academy, Naval Academy etc.

Trussler - Pending offer @ Northwestern and several other Ivy League

Irwin - Several Ivy League offers and others

Walden -Several Ivy League and Academy offers for basketball

Tait - Considering several mid-major offers from excellent academic schools.

Pfleger Considering several mid-major offers

Apologies to anyone I've overlooked in compiling these names. I'm sure there are a few. There are several other players that probably won't play football in college but attend schools based on academic scholarships.

I don't know if you're questioning the academic level of Catholic and it's athletes but if you are, you're barking up the wrong tree! Probably over half of the starters are in the National Honor Society and are taking AP and Honors classes. I would also say that the classes at Catholic are far tougher than those of the "average" public school classroom. Before the public school people start blasting this statement, it is based on the observations from several Catholic teachers (who have told of honor students that have come from local public school systems and couldn't cut it in our Honors classes) and several public school teachers who have been at both. To cover myself, let it be known that I have several family members that teach at both public and private schools.

First of all Tyler Wright Air Force Academy is one you missed PW, but thats ok he wrestled, never won state, never finished in the top four in the regional tournament, But he worked his but off in the class room and on the mat, He is the type of kid that really Exemplifies the kind of kids we mostly get at Catholic, sure we have a few athletic super stars, but most of our program are kids that believe and buy into what we do. We are successful because our "roll player type kids" are smart, hard working and you can coach them.

and the AMEN! that is for the fact that a school of 605 kids forced into a 1.8 multiplier can go up against schools of 1500 and 1700 and still win

We also teach or kids that Competing is in its self is its own reward, not eveyone can be a champion but they can aspire to be!

As for standards our kids must not only pass the required classes mandated by the TSSAA, but they must have a C average for that 4 weeks, or they are off the team for four weeks until they get the grades up

We also get transfer kids that got in trouble at other schools that don't play sports, but new school, new friends does wonders for them, and there is nothing wrong with that.

We have great school, and I am proud to teach there, hope to be around another 20 years

It will interesting to see how many of these actually sign with an Ivy league school or Northwestern.

I didn't even realize Ivy league schools gave athletic scholarships (times have changed).

It will interesting to see how many of these actually sign with an Ivy league school or Northwestern.

I didn't even realize Ivy league schools gave athletic scholarships (times have changed).

The first step is the offer. At least the potential is there from a grade and test score perspective. These guys may end up going different places but they have had the opportunity put before them to attend. You are correct that no "athletic" scholarships are offered by the Ivy league schools but you still go through the same recruiting process. They find academic scholarship $ along with grants and work study programs to cover the cost of the education. You are still bound by NCAA guidelines as if you were on athletic scholarship however. Football isn't at the greatest level at any of these schools but it is a fantastic educational opportunity. It will probably come down to the offers from more football oriented schools.