Knox Catholic 4-0 is this for real without the STAR

Butch & Sundance

Most county school use Alternative Schools in these situations. I could see where good athletes ,that are in trouble , would choose to go to a private school (if admitted) than go to alternative school and not play sports.

It is certainly FUNNY to hear you questioning standards about admittance and the quality of the person given the school you represent. I know of very few private schools that would accept these "troubled" students as you call them. I think you will find that successful teams have athletes that outperform the average student in the school. The coaches at AE, Fulton and Catholic all stress discipline & performance in the classroom as well as on the field. I know of a player from Alcoa that recently tried to get into Catholic and was denied admission despite what he could have brought to the team.

I've not heard of the reason that the player with "considerable baggage" from Anderson County transferred to Catholic but sometimes changing to a positive environment with a different group of "friends" can make all the difference. ScottA11 is exactly right about the kid from Kingsport. A hard working striaght A student that's busting his butt in the classroom (compare curriculum with some of the other schools already discussed in this thread. A's at Catholic are much harder to come by.) and on the field.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone is blowing warm air through their bagpipes. The statement about students not allowed to play varsity sports if they receive financial aid is bogus…. or there are rules being broken. If the Catholic Football boosters tried raising tuition money for their potential football players they would be in all kinds of trouble with the TSSAA. But if the church wished to help the needy and provide educational & athletic opportunity to the community then everything becomes legitimate. Running money through the church to pay the tuition for those in need of financial assistance is a brilliant idea. I'm sure the Catholic Church won’t be audited for their contributions to the community. Hmmm…. Make me wonder… Is there a liaison? Someone that can represent the Athletic department’s best interest? Like a wish list of needy athletes that would thrive with a good education at Catholic. How does the church know which students deserve that financial aid? Do they write an essay with letters of recommendation or just a list of stats and a VHS tape of extra-curricular activity? I know this is a sensitive subject and I don’t want to ruin a good thing going. Hats off to the Irish for being so smart & clever.

When I look across the field and into the stadium seats, one can’t help but notice all of those passionate Catholic fans. I assume they are made up of parents, students, alumni, corporate sponsors, and those valuable financial donors. Here’s my question for the previous Catholic supporters who have been posting to rightfully defend your schools honor. Is there anyone that can tell me that there is not someone sitting in the stands hosting a family or couple of “worthy scholars”? Before the game, this host would have been generous enough to take the scholar and his family out to a nice dinner, talk about the advantages and opportunities Catholic High School has to offer, then take them to the Catholic game to absorb the atmosphere and allow them to see the fundamentals of success on the field. I’m not going to say if the possibilities of financial aid were discussed, but I’m sure you can draw your own conclusion. Is there someone willing to deny this goes on?

Everybody knows about the separation of Church & State. If this can’t be denied, next on the list needs to be the separation of Church & Football.

Let me end this on a positive note. Catholic is a great place to watch a game, even if you’re leaving with a loss. Thank you for not charging us for parking. However, to make the experience even more memorable, I’m still pushing for Amazing Grace from the bagpipe lady and I think you need a brighter bulb for that smart board (Jumbo-tron) down in the endzone. Also if you want to go big-time and make people talk, as beautiful as your campus is…. you need to get the church to get you a Touchdown Jesus monument.

I know this is pushing it… but have you ever considered tossing the large banner the team runs through and construct something that resembles the pearly gates of heaven?

Do you use a napkin or bib to keep the sarcasm from dripping down your chin?

I've been involved for this program for longer than most (20 years) and I CANNOT say that that this situation has never occured any more than you could say a player hasn't been sold of the advantages of being at AE, Fulton, Central, Powell, etc. if they would just move in with their mother, father ,grandparents, aunts, uncles and so on.

For your clarification, you wouldn't want to run out of the pearly gates of heaven, you'd only want to run into them. The ones running out would be the refs that had tried to sneak in and the opposing fans that didn't see the light. We had a Touchdown Jesus but Harrison Smith took it with him to Notre Dame-they need it much worse than we do. Also for those of you asking about the financial aid, just come clean out the dumpster after a football game-we throw away the ones and fives because they take to long to count and they are put to better use by the athletes that need it to pay for tuition. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

It is certainly FUNNY to hear you questioning standards about admittance and the quality of the person given the school you represent.

My point exactly.How can a student that could not be admitted to even POWELL be admitted by KNOX CATHOLIC?

Powell was told he would have to attend Alternative School first. WOW

KCHS standards must be lower than Knox County thank you. FUNNY?

It is certainly FUNNY to hear you questioning standards about admittance and the quality of the person given the school you represent.

My point exactly.How can a student that could not be admitted to even POWELL be admitted by KNOX CATHOLIC?

Powell was told he would have to attend Alternative School first. WOW

KCHS standards must be lower than Knox County thank you. FUNNY?

Do you know exactly why he wasn't admitted to Powell???? He hadn't even established a residence here at the start of school. With all the problems regarding transfers to Powell along with the rezoning that is taking place, maybe they were just being cautious in admitting another "football star" to Powell.

Why would anyone with football inclinations want to go to Powell anyway???????? Can you say downhill slide? They just got thumped by one of average region teams.

The bottom line is Catholic is 6-0 without Harrison Smith.

What's Powell's record again? Granted they have three wins against some of the worst 4-A teams around.

Do you know exactly why he wasn't admitted to Powell???? He hadn't even established a residence here at the start of school.

Powell was told he would have to attend Alternative School first. (Because of his arrest)

KCHS standards must be lower than Knox County thank you. (no comment necessary)

You should be a politician the way you avoided that one...oh wait ...maybe you are!

Powell was told he would have to attend Alternative School first. (Because of his arrest)

Really? Are you the one that was asking all the questions about him not being admitted and now you are the expert? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Doubt it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Please remember, you are talking about a child. C H I L D. As in minor. As in younger than 18. Let's not talk about kids in the terms you are on this board. I understand the whole jealousy thing, but come on.

Haha yea i guess Tim Irwin must be sending all the kids who get in trouble to Catholic. The standards will probably get even lower once the new wing is done and they start admitting more students. Shelia, your really diggin hard for something.

I like how you point out that Tim Irwin gets kids to come to Catholic.

Daniel I wouldn't even trouble myself, trying to explain to shelia, and other so called christians is a waste of time, they have already made their mind up about you and about our school, they have never heard of "judge not least you be judge" You are great kid, don't let them tell you any different.

If the region knox catholic is in is weak...explain why we have won wat? four straight championships? Fulton 3 Livingston 1?

Ok..dhood, I see you are new here. The emoticon /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" meant to be dry, tongue in cheek, or just plain sarcastic. Had you noticed where I was from, you would have seen that I am from Livingston. I know who has won the championships for the last several years and know hoew tough region 2-3A is.

When you say we, do you mean KC or region 2-3A? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Daniel I wouldn't even trouble myself, trying to explain to shelia, and other so called christians is a waste of time, they have already made their mind up about you and about our school, they have never heard of "judge not least you be judge" You are great kid, don't let them tell you any different.

I have heard "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

What about "so called christians"? Thats probably not judging is it, coach?

I am just curious why you are so obsessed with my past (me= daniel hood)? And maybe its not that KCHS standards are lower, can u think outside the box n think of, in general, their religion n wat it means? Who are they to judge the past? And they believe n 2nd chances. KCHS allowed me in because they got to know me before sticking a tag on me because of my past....Are u really to quick to judge before u even know me??

Good luck at Catholic and after graduation.

Ok..dhood, I see you are new here. The emoticon /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" meant to be dry, tongue in cheek, or just plain sarcastic. Had you noticed where I was from, you would have seen that I am from Livingston. I know who has won the championships for the last several years and know hoew tough region 2-3A is.When you say we, do you mean KC or region 2-3A? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

haha yeah my bad i was saying that our conference is tough, even though catholic is having a spectacular year this year...maybe we can make it 5 consecutives from 2-3a?

Good luck at Catholic and after graduation.

thank you thank you