Knox Catholic 4-0 is this for real without the STAR

Butch & Sundance

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a loan out from a catholic booster that can give it and that wants you to play football and make a deal where you only have to pay a certain amount back...say 8 dollars...then you can afford the 7000 dollars a year to go there and play football while still being in division 1. Thats what i would do if i had money and wanted to make the best team in the state...i could create a heck of a team in d1. Now all i need is some money to spare and a few others with money to give to get some studs. Correction to earlier....Catholic's last year in D2 was a first round playoff loss to Notre Dame in 2004. Catholic started becoming good in football in 2002....they went like 7-5..the next year in 03 they were real good but loss to BGA in the state championship. Before 2002 they were not very good at all. They built their new school off cedar bluff in 2001, moving off magnola, and got a new coach in 2002 and that my friends is the rise of Catholic football.

Take a loan out from a catholic booster that can give it and that wants you to play football and make a deal where you only have to pay a certain amount back...say 8 dollars...then you can afford the 7000 dollars a year to go there and play football while still being in division 1. Thats what i would do if i had money and wanted to make the best team in the state...i could create a heck of a team in d1. Now all i need is some money to spare and a few others with money to give to get some studs. Correction to earlier....Catholic's last year in D2 was a first round playoff loss to Notre Dame in 2004. Catholic started becoming good in football in 2002....they went like 7-5..the next year in 03 they were real good but loss to BGA in the state championship. Before 2002 they were not very good at all. They built their new school off cedar bluff in 2001, moving off magnola, and got a new coach in 2002 and that my friends is the rise of Catholic football.

So it is within TSSAA guidelines to get a "loan" to pay for your tuition... even if you never pay it back?

That's pretty smart on Catholic's part!!

Sounds like a huge loophole to me.

Someone is blowing warm air through their bagpipes. The statement about students not allowed to play varsity sports if they receive financial aid is bogus…. or there are rules being broken. If the Catholic Football boosters tried raising tuition money for their potential football players they would be in all kinds of trouble with the TSSAA. But if the church wished to help the needy and provide educational & athletic opportunity to the community then everything becomes legitimate. Running money through the church to pay the tuition for those in need of financial assistance is a brilliant idea. I'm sure the Catholic Church won’t be audited for their contributions to the community. Hmmm…. Make me wonder… Is there a liaison? Someone that can represent the Athletic department’s best interest? Like a wish list of needy athletes that would thrive with a good education at Catholic. How does the church know which students deserve that financial aid? Do they write an essay with letters of recommendation or just a list of stats and a VHS tape of extra-curricular activity? I know this is a sensitive subject and I don’t want to ruin a good thing going. Hats off to the Irish for being so smart & clever.

When I look across the field and into the stadium seats, one can’t help but notice all of those passionate Catholic fans. I assume they are made up of parents, students, alumni, corporate sponsors, and those valuable financial donors. Here’s my question for the previous Catholic supporters who have been posting to rightfully defend your schools honor. Is there anyone that can tell me that there is not someone sitting in the stands hosting a family or couple of “worthy scholars”? Before the game, this host would have been generous enough to take the scholar and his family out to a nice dinner, talk about the advantages and opportunities Catholic High School has to offer, then take them to the Catholic game to absorb the atmosphere and allow them to see the fundamentals of success on the field. I’m not going to say if the possibilities of financial aid were discussed, but I’m sure you can draw your own conclusion. Is there someone willing to deny this goes on?

Everybody knows about the separation of Church & State. If this can’t be denied, next on the list needs to be the separation of Church & Football.

Let me end this on a positive note. Catholic is a great place to watch a game, even if you’re leaving with a loss. Thank you for not charging us for parking. However, to make the experience even more memorable, I’m still pushing for Amazing Grace from the bagpipe lady and I think you need a brighter bulb for that smart board (Jumbo-tron) down in the endzone. Also if you want to go big-time and make people talk, as beautiful as your campus is…. you need to get the church to get you a Touchdown Jesus monument.

I know this is pushing it… but have you ever considered tossing the large banner the team runs through and construct something that resembles the pearly gates of heaven?

How will the TSSAA ever know if someone just gives somone money. Shoot, i could come up with a million ways around it. One way...Hey Mr. dad of a really good football player...ill pay you 7000 dollars to mow my yard once a month. Bam now you have the money for your son to attend the school. Now you just have to find the people willing and able to give money away...but there always are esp. if you want to win a state championship in football...people give money for facilities all the time...why not for players.

Remeber this is Catholic High School not Catholic University. I don't know of any parent that would pay someone elses tuition, that like the comments being made about KCHS, would be asinine. How would paying someone elses tuition benefit anyone, just for the sake of winning a game. A vast majority of the kids on that team, their parents can afford to send them to school there. And, since when is it wrong to recieve financial aid to pay for school if it's your church helping out. In order to receive aid the student must be Catholic. So it must be bad/recruiting for a Catholic kid to go to a Catholic school. Sounds like their are alot of people who feel, b/c Catholic wins, they are cheating. I guess people need to something to reach for.

Remeber this is Catholic High School not Catholic University. I don't know of any parent that would pay someone elses tuition, that like the comments being made about KCHS, would be asinine.

Ok follow this logic. I know of Cathoilc boosters that have been asked to donate alot of money to build/upgrade facilities.

Would it not make sense to "give" only $7,000 for a stud athletes tuition instead of $15,000 for something else?

If it is within TSSAA guidelines (which I think it is- loophole) why not donate $ and help a kid and your program at the same time?

Remeber this is Catholic High School not Catholic University. I don't know of any parent that would pay someone elses tuition, that like the comments being made about KCHS, would be asinine.

Ok follow this logic. I know of Cathoilc boosters that have been asked to donate alot of money to build/upgrade facilities.

Would it not make sense to "give" only $7,000 for a stud athletes tuition instead of $15,000 for something else?

If it is within TSSAA guidelines (which I think it is- loophole) why not donate $ and help a kid and your program at the same time?

Well that all sounds so "easy" and assumes there are absolutely no concerns about accounting for the donations to the school or the expenditures from the school or the booster clubs. Sorry...but that is not the way we do things... the TSSAA would find no such false donations.

The "stud" athletes are the kids who parents can afford to send them to KCHS and they come from their feeder schools and their youth football program.

Interesting discussion. It reads very much like a Maryville, Alcoa threads from a few years back. "Alcoa just gets the player's parents jobs @ Alcoa @ $25.00 per/hr." "Maryville under-reports their numbers, and the out of zone kids have their tuition paid." It just comes with the territory. "Fulton has this guy, and he is zoned for AE, and that guy is zoned Carter, etc." Blah, blah, blah. Photoman, you sure can write though. Well, back to the Mville/Billy Blount or CAK/Webb threads.

ruse?