Knox Catholic 4-0 is this for real without the STAR

Butch & Sundance

Most county school use Alternative Schools in these situations. I could see where good athletes ,that are in trouble , would choose to go to a private school (if admitted) than go to alternative school and not play sports.

We (yourself especially) seem to have gotten away from the original topic of how the Irish are faring without Harrison Smith. The answer seems to be just fine since we are 6-0.

BUT, since you seem much more intent on picking on our school and kids rather than seeing the positives they offer, let me pose a couple of questions to you......

To offer the same convoluted logic you use....is Powell a bad school because they admitted Lee Smith. Here's a kid that was zoned for Halls (and didn't want to attend there because of the athletic programs), attended Central until some problems arose, had a sham move into a "new" residence so he could attend Powell. I won't drag his name thru the mud like you have been so quick to do with Daniel Hood BUT, as you well know, Lee got into quite a bit of trouble while at Powell. Before you start saying that I don't know the whole situation, be aware that I love Lee and coached him for several of his high school years. He's a good kid that has made a series of poor choices. How many chances should he have been allowed before being tossed aside? I could bring up several other incidents (that could have resulted in an arrest) involving Powell athletes but since I've coached several of these kids,I will take the high road. Since I'm sure you're perfect....go ahead and start throwing the stones.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (yourself especially) seem to have gotten away from the original topic of how the Irish are faring without Harrison Smith. The answer seems to be just fine since we are 6-0.

BUT, since you seem much more intent on picking on our school and kids rather than seeing the positives they offer, let me pose a couple of questions to you......

To offer the same convoluted logic you use....is Powell a bad school because they admitted Lee Smith. Here's a kid that was zoned for Halls (and didn't want to attend there because of the athletic programs), attended Central until some problems arose, had a sham move into a "new" residence so he could attend Powell. I won't drag his name thru the mud like you have been so quick to do with Daniel Hood BUT, as you well know, Lee got into quite a bit of trouble while at Powell. Before you start saying that I don't know the whole situation, be aware that I love Lee and coached him for several of his high school years. He's a good kid that has made a series of poor choices. How many chances should he have been allowed before being tossed aside? I could bring up several other incidents (that could have resulted in an arrest) involving Powell athletes but since I've coached several of these kids,I will take the high road. Since I'm sure you're perfect....go ahead and start throwing the stones.

Go back and read ALL my posts. I have NEVER used any names (unlike you).

My point is simply this: Powell is a public school and is controlled by the Knox County. Catholic is a private school. One would think their admission standards would be higher.

As the Warden said in Cool Hand Luke, "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Let me address what I think is the fundamental misunderstanding that Sheila (and the majority of public school posters on these boards IMHO) is operating under.

She (and they) believe that all privates schools are alike. Thus, when they think of any private school they believe that they are all like the big prep schools...lots of money, selective admissions, etc.

What she (and they) fail to realize is that the Catholic schools and the smaller, Protestant Christian schools are NOT at all like the big preps. Their mission and philosophy are completely different, resulting in different decisions about students and athletics than those of the big preps. This is the reason that so many of the religious schools stayed DI or reentered it after a few years.

As for admissions, unlike the big preps the Christian schools (using 'Christian' for both Catholic and Protestant privates here) do not have selective admissions...in fact, their philosophy dictates that they take many students that the big preps would not admit either because of academics or past behavior.

Therefore one could argue that they have a higher admissions standard than the local public schools in that they aren't required to take any particular students. On the other hand, they might take a child who had been expelled on a 0 tolerance offense if they felt that there were extenuating circumstances. It is probably more accurate to say that the Christian schools have more flexible admissions standards than the local publics rather than higher as they can decide who gets in without the rigidity of Federal Law interfering.

And regardless of their standards, regardless of a multiplier (fair or unfair) they're still beating the publics at an outrageous rate.

And thats what SCHOOL is for. Just win baby...at any and all cost. That comment is not for KCHS only.

And regardless of their standards, regardless of a multiplier (fair or unfair) they're still beating the publics at an outrageous rate.AMEN!

And you seem proud..

My point is simply this: Powell is a public school and is controlled by the Knox County. Catholic is a private school. One would think their admission standards would be higher.

Not one, but many people do think their admissions standards are higher, more flexible, better. Public schools are mandated by law as to who they can admit or not admit. Private schools can be more flexible, and often times look at a particular situation much more closely than a public school. Thus the reason that some kids from time to time could be admitted to a private school when rejected by a public school. This is pretty simple to understand. If your posts are a feeble attempt to bring into question Knoxville Catholic admission policies, it is not working. If not, this should answer the question about the higher admission policy questions. If your idea of a higher admission standard is just to take the so called perfect kids, then many at Knoxville Catholic and other private schools would disagree with you for several reasons. When any school gives a child another chance, I don't believe that is lowering your admissions standards. Knoxville Catholic is a fine school, with many dedicated teachers and students. Their goals go way beyond any sport. They are trying to build the total person, one that will be a productive and responsible individual their whole life. I am continually amazed at how anyone can look at any school with such tunnel vision with sports fueling the arguments. There is so much more to any school than just sports. God bless Knoxville Catholic and all the schools both public and private. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

hmm...Want to elaborate or is this one of those drive-by postings that is supposed to mean something?

It just seems that athletics to many are far more important than academics. If it is, then lets accept whomever as long as they can play. That is how it seems. I don't know much about private schools, I'll be the first to admit it. However, it appears to me that things are done differently than in publics. When I played, at a public school, our coaches demanded good grades not just passing. They demanded we stay out of trouble or we could watch from the bleachers. Bottom line was they were preparing us for life not preparing us for the next game or season. Maybe thats why we were not good enough to be ranked in the top ten or win the title, or at least be in the running. We did win in 05, but haven't been real close in years previous to that or no where near close since. It does mean something when you have to work for it, not that privates don't work hard. Their selection of players are just better. I think there are several reasons for that as well.

It just seems that athletics to many are far more important than academics. If it is, then lets accept whomever as long as they can play. That is how it seems. I don't know much about private schools, I'll be the first to admit it. However, it appears to me that things are done differently than in publics. When I played, at a public school, our coaches demanded good grades not just passing. They demanded we stay out of trouble or we could watch from the bleachers. Bottom line was they were preparing us for life not preparing us for the next game or season. Maybe thats why we were not good enough to be ranked in the top ten or win the title, or at least be in the running. We did win in 05, but haven't been real close in years previous to that or no where near close since. It does mean something when you have to work for it, not that privates don't work hard. Their selection of players are just better. I think there are several reasons for that as well.

Once again I think you are lumping all privates together. There are VAST differences between them, much as there are VAST differences between small, rural publics and large, urban publics. To treat either category as if all the schools are the same seems terribly inaccurate to me.

I would also submit that all the small privates I know of put athletics WAY down the list of importance. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to win or be good, it does mean that athletics ALWAYS take a back seat to God, Family, character and academics.

And I submit that the small privates have no better athletes than the publics. To get better athletes they would have to selectively chose students for their athletic abilities...they don't.

You have been very specific in who you have identified without using names. What is/was your point other than slamming Catholic and/or this player by dragging up charges you know absolutely nothing about? I used a person as a specific example because his name and situation has pretty much been detailed not just on this site but also on the news and newspaper. Plus, as I said, I know Lee very well and it's nothing I wouldn't or haven't said to his face. I had several conversations with him over the last several years regarding his actions in trying to look out for his best interests. I did not however mention the names of some current athletes at Powell that have done things that would land them in trouble if it hadn't been handled internally. Nothing is gained by publically slamming these kids.

Several other people have done a great job of explaining the admission goals of Knoxville Catholic and some private schools. I think if you look at the academic records of the majority of the Catholic athletes, you'd be very impressed with their efforts in the classroom. When your players are getting offers from places like Nothwestern and Ivy League schools, you're doing it with slightly better than "passing" grades.

Once again I think you are lumping all privates together. There are VAST differences between them, much as there are VAST differences between small, rural publics and large, urban publics. To treat either category as if all the schools are the same seems terribly inaccurate to me.

I would also submit that all the small privates I know of put athletics WAY down the list of importance. That doesn't mean they aren't trying to win or be good, it does mean that athletics ALWAYS take a back seat to God, Family, character and academics.

And I submit that the small privates have no better athletes than the publics. To get better athletes they would have to selectively chose students for their athletic abilities...they don't.

You are probably right. I guess I am the kind that likes God, Family, Church, character, school, and other things first and in this particular order. I also think their is too much emphasis put on athletics. I don't have sons, so football is something I do enjoy watching without too much stress. However, I do have a daughter who plays basketball. Not bragging, but she is a good athlete, and is asked to play alot bball. Travel teams and such. Same in softball. My wife and I teach at home God, Family, Church, character, school and so on util we get to athletics. In that order. What is diffucult is that there are a lot of outside the family sources that seem to put priorities in a different order. And that confuses the child. I don't think our household is the only one suffering from this whether in private or public schools. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sports. They just aren't as important to me than they used to. And I think it has gone way overboard. Am I wrong to think this way??